Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
This got me looking more closely, and the deal was sealed when Sagath powered up his rig, and the cool silence sold me. I raved about this to kruzn4evr, and he offered to help me get started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Really looking forward to this, and I thank Sagath for talking me into it, as well as Kruzn for talking me into it some more; and for putting this project together for me.
Glad I could be of Service? So when do the parts arrive? I want to be there to drink Guinness and watch the setup!

Oh, and dont worry about the chipset heat issues. Although X58's do get warm, Ive never heard of a board on the market that was limited by northbridge heat issues. Sure, BCLK holes and other issues, but not Northbridge issues.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 6, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I hate to ask, but you did check that your GTX285's are Rev 1? Because the blocks you have listed are Rev 1. The easiest way to check on EVGA's is that the part number has a 1280 number for Rev 1, and 1180 for Rev 2.
Yeah, I remember Kruzn and Chris and I talking about this issue. I believe it was resolved well before ordering the blocks.
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 6, 2009, 05:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I hate to ask, but you did check that your GTX285's are Rev 1? Because the blocks you have listed are Rev 1. The easiest way to check on EVGA's is that the part number has a 1280 number for Rev 1, and 1180 for Rev 2.
Yup. I did wonder about this, and Kruzn mentioned this as well. I had some difficulty finding the info, so I submitted an Evga help ticket. Here was my question and the reply I got:

Question
Quote:
I have "01G-P3-1281-AR", and a "01G-P3-1285-AR" model GTX 285s (both registered under my profile). I was interested in watercooling them, and was wondering what revision PCB these were (as I understand nVidia changed the PCB revisions). Thanks!
Answer
Quote:
Answered By Ryan M (11/26/2009 12:18:09 AM): there are EVGA HydroCopper blocks available for those cards. You could find more information available here: EVGA | Products As for the Board revision number, based on those part numbers they should be the first revision. Please let us know if you have further questions. Thanks EVGA Support
So I think I have the right blocks. Your info helps confirm this (the best way would have been the method kruzn preferred, which would have been visual confirmation of the actual PCBs...hopefully I don't regret my decision to be lazy and rely on the Evga support ticket).
Fold for team #54196
Old December 6, 2009, 07:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You're good, your PCB's are version 1. They switched over in May. You can check it from the back of the card too, look for the placement of the screws per this picture: EK-FC285 GTX SLI Water Block for Nvidia 285GTX Products Model: EK-FC280 GTX SLI [EK-FC285 GTX SLI] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
Old December 6, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

we want pics when your done
Old December 6, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

who wants.. we DEMAND PICS ... :p

Nice to see one more person moving to the dark side :D.. good luck in your build.. Actually you're not alone, got myself a HAF 932 gonna be putting a triple rad and moving my loop in there.. :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old December 8, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

We should have some pics at some point tonight if all goes well, I've even got a couple of lil surprises up my sleeve for ya chris

Old December 8, 2009, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm excited !

Another one to the dark side. I lied about the cookies btw

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old December 8, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
We should have some pics at some point tonight if all goes well, I've even got a couple of lil surprises up my sleeve for ya chris
Where you guys getting together? I'm off this evening and free if you guys want someone to hang out and drink beer and watch you **** up while commenting on it

lmk
Quote:
Old December 8, 2009, 08:09 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
Woah there buddy I'm engaged! You should not sell yourself short though

I will be OCing this baby in a few weeks. I might even have another i7 rig to OC if I sell my folding rig (Q6600 @3.0/4GB/9800GTX+/550VX/500GB for $500...not parting out so no BST thread yet but soon perhaps). We can have an OC and beer night!
Fold for team #54196