Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Moving A WaterCooled PC? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/26245-moving-watercooled-pc.html)

TokeR December 5, 2009 07:02 AM

Moving A WaterCooled PC?

Hey I was just wondering how you guys move your Liquid Cooled PC's?

I have to move my PC quite allot and I think it could be dangerous to move my liquid cooled PC because something could snap or just leak. I don't know I just want to be safe and find the best way you guys have figured to do it.

Do you just drain it before you move it?

-I am talking about a 30 Minute to 2 Hour long drive going over speed bumps and such.

I would like to hear everyones methods so don't hesitate to post if someone has already answered!
Thanks.

KaptCrunch December 5, 2009 07:39 AM

2 things come to mind

if air travel ......yes would need to drain system for cargo area is non-heated

other is if use carrier service .............with 2 boxes of 2 differant sizes so can pack with foam/styrofoam between them

if going to leave fluid in system drain some off for exspansion of temp change

gingerbee December 5, 2009 10:11 AM

car ride with me there i would not drain it. that's just me though. any other time just drain it. box it. ship it. done

Chilly December 5, 2009 10:41 AM

Shipping it? I'd drain it, car ride with me? I'd be damn careful with it, however I would leave it filled.

MpG December 5, 2009 11:20 AM

The bigger danger is stuff breaking, especially things like GPU's with heavy full-cover blocks attached. For a car-ride, I'd make sure everything was tightened, wrap a few thick blankets around the entire case, and transport it on its side. This is assuming that the components are all internal, of course.

HaDeS December 5, 2009 12:05 PM

I dunno about that MPG. Waterblocks don't weigh that much and they aren't top heavy. I transport my water rig all the time and I never have any issue. I would be more worried about the HDD's taking a couple nasty pot holes than a water rig. If your water rig isn't a closed system then perhaps you need to re-think your loop. So long as the area is reasonably warm and isn't bouncing around in the back of your car it will be fine.

If you had one of those 120 true coppers or another massive air cooled-top heavy HSF those would be more likely to break than any water block I've seen.

TokeR December 6, 2009 02:59 AM

Thanks Guys really appreciate it.

Jackquelegs December 6, 2009 04:50 AM

I always drain my Loop, since I highly dislike the stress of water on some of my components. Of course, eliminates the chance of leaking :haha: Just like to be safe

MarkOne December 6, 2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 297352)
The bigger danger is stuff breaking, especially ......

especially those external rad mount with a swiftech adaptor

Jackquelegs December 6, 2009 06:57 AM

Yep, those radboxes are brittle, and have a high chance of snapping/de-threading. I did it once, and it wasn't happy with the move.

EDIT: I Agree with MPG in terms of the waterblocks, make sure the end of the video card is properly supported. Sometimes the torque can do some serious damage for heavy cards.