Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2009, 07:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Fin density is important, as is the thickness of the rad too. A thicker rad can usually dissipate more heat vs. a thinner one with the same area. IMHO, the Swiftechs are a good starter rad for someone getting into WC'ing, but those looking to push the limits might want to look elsewhere. It's also important to match your fans to your rad, as different rads perform better with higher/lower rpm fans.
Old December 4, 2009, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Fin density is important, as is the thickness of the rad too. A thicker rad can usually dissipate more heat vs. a thinner one with the same area. IMHO, the Swiftechs are a good starter rad for someone getting into WC'ing, but those looking to push the limits might want to look elsewhere. It's also important to match your fans to your rad, as different rads perform better with higher/lower rpm fans.
For sure. High fin density equals higher cooling potential, however the downside is the massive static pressure required to achieve decent airflow through those fins. Hence they perform best with very high RPM fans. While many low FPI (fins per inch) radiators are optimized for consumer fans that are quiet and have decent performance. The swiftech is absolutely a great starter for any water cooler, it can handle a reasonable thermal load.

To sum it up:
Weak radiator (compared to a great rad like the PA120.3) :
Aluminum based
Thin
Lower FPI (not always bad though)
Single pass design
High restriction

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old December 4, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Absolutely. MCR220 is better then any pre-filled solutions for instance.... What I tried to say is ...for i7 rig it needs a bit more punch on fans side for nice results.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old December 5, 2009, 09:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Oh ok I see. Guess a new radiator will be in order after the new year. I would actually like to run a single 140mm radiator in this system,but im going to look into a better dual 120mm setup. The yate loons im using were actually recommended by many as good for watercooling. I do have a set of Sflex 1600rpm fans but I find them entirely too bloody loud.

Looking at radiators, was wondering if i could get away with a TFC Xchanger 120mm High Perfomance radiator only and mount it externally and put a pair of Sflex 1600 RPM fans Push/Pull or is the MCR220 still better as it has a larger surface area?

Last edited by Fudd Rucker; December 5, 2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old December 5, 2009, 10:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Here is some initial shots, doing my leak testing.Waitingf for my cards to come in so I cant do much with it until later on. Thank god im pretty much done this build and my wife can stop nagging me lol. Forgive the terrible pics, but my cell phone isnt the greatest.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Ya no holes in the bottom of the case (yet lol). I knew enough that the resevoir had to be higher then the inlet on the pump.Is it is possible to run just passive radiator? The name of the game here was as silent of operation as possible and the loons are pretty quiet so I figured I could get away with not making my case worthless lol and the heat being pulled from the radiator would suffice. Another option would be to elevate the radiator a couple of inches so there is some room under it and pull air from the front?
Just so you're aware, even passively running radiators need air to move through their fins for best performance. Also, even fans running at under 600rpm will be better than pure-passive, and you'd be hard-pressed to hear them. True passive is actually very poor-performing, unless you've got a really big radiator, preferably outside the case.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Looking at radiators, was wondering if i could get away with a TFC Xchanger 120mm High Perfomance radiator only and mount it externally and put a pair of Sflex 1600 RPM fans Push/Pull or is the MCR220 still better as it has a larger surface area?
It may work, but I have not tried it myself. I use TFC240 with same Supreme LT block as you have with pair of under-volted SanAces 120x38 (3000rom max). I use analog fan controller, my guess is that fans spin at aprox 1400-1500 rpm .... cooling performance is superb.
Old December 5, 2009, 04:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Just so you're aware, even passively running radiators need air to move through their fins for best performance. Also, even fans running at under 600rpm will be better than pure-passive, and you'd be hard-pressed to hear them. True passive is actually very poor-performing, unless you've got a really big radiator, preferably outside the case.
yea theres no way you can go passive, my loop heats up without my comp turned on!
Old December 6, 2009, 02:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Since space and mounting seems to be a problem with my current case ive decided to go with a single 120mm TFC Xchanger radiator and mount internally with a yate loon cooling it. I think I should be able to get the desired temps with my clocks while keeping everything clean and internal with the case while not having to jimmy rig drives inside case because I had to pull the HDD cage and front 140mm fan.
Old December 6, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you have extra fans, you can use 4 (2 on each side) :) I think there is enough space.