Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   I want to revamp my WC setup (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/25788-i-want-revamp-my-wc-setup.html)

Z Overlord November 22, 2009 09:31 PM

I want to revamp my WC setup

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/100_1852.jpg

Everything is Swiftech, all red fans Noctua.

MicroRes V2
MCR320
Swiftech GPU Cooler (forget the model)
Apogee GTZ
655 pump

So my main concern is the res, it's currently in the disc drive area, how are drive res's? Those look so convenient and perfect for my loop.

The pump also blocks allot of the space, smaller but just as quiete pump? I'm willing to spend $$$.

Thanks

JMCD November 22, 2009 10:13 PM

You could put the pump underneath and the res out a bit further, sorta sticking out.

MpG November 22, 2009 10:15 PM

It's actually pretty hard to beat the 655 for it's noise-to-performance ratio. Sure, it's big and it dumps a little extra heat in your loop, but it's also a little quieter than its closest competitor - an MCP355 with an aftermarket top, which would probably set you back over $100, for negligible gain. You might consider something like the Primochill T3, which for the cost of two drive bay spaces, will directly accept your current pump and handle reservoir duties.

Z Overlord November 22, 2009 10:16 PM

This T3 pump/res, how good is it? Comparable to the performance/noise of the 655 and Micro Res V2?

And can it support compression fittings?

MpG November 22, 2009 11:19 PM

No, the T3 is only the reservoir unit - it accepts your current pump (after you've unscrewed the housing). I don't believe it has any issues with compression fittings, although there were a few reports of people needing to use thicker o-rings in a few cases, I think.

AmuseMe November 23, 2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 290931)
No, the T3 is only the reservoir unit - it accepts your current pump (after you've unscrewed the housing). I don't believe it has any issues with compression fittings, although there were a few reports of people needing to use thicker o-rings in a few cases, I think.

Or you can use two o-rings (I would still use one thicker one). Also, Teflon tape :thumb:

gimark November 23, 2009 07:24 AM

That looks almost identical to my setup first time I put it together. Only difference is I used black tubing (which i now regret).

You could use NCIX.com - Buy Ek Water Blocks EK-D5 X-TOP Version 2 Custom Pump Top for D5 & MCP655 Pumps G1/4 - 3830046995077 In Canada. to allow you to put that pump in the lower area.

nameless? November 23, 2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 290931)

If you use bitspower fittings on the t3 you need thicker o-rings. The included ghost compression fittings on my t3 worked fine albeit they were a bit of a pia to work with.

If your case has little tabs inbetween the drive bays like the haf you will need to remove or bend them out of the way inorder for the t3 to fit flush.

Also make sure that the included metal plugs for the front of the t3 aren't made of steel like mine were.

Dazmode November 23, 2009 09:23 AM

Looking on the picture, there is tons of pace for round EK reservoir right from mobo. I second 655 x-top suggestion. Better flexibility, quiter and more performance. What else to ask?

miggs78 November 23, 2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 290918)
It's actually pretty hard to beat the 655 for it's noise-to-performance ratio. Sure, it's big and it dumps a little extra heat in your loop, but it's also a little quieter than its closest competitor - an MCP355 with an aftermarket top, which would probably set you back over $100, for negligible gain. You might consider something like the Primochill T3, which for the cost of two drive bay spaces, will directly accept your current pump and handle reservoir duties.

I second that, the T3 is the best thing you could use. An Ek X-Top is good, but then again you will still be running tubes, which wouldn't be much different from your current setup..

However if you use a T3, you're pump and res is at the same spot, which saves you a little tubing.. Plus with the T3, future use, I believe it accommodate more than one loop.