Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Loop Not Filling?

For some reason I can not get my loop to fill. I filled my EK 150 Resivoir, screwed the lid on tight (make sure to do this everyone!!!), and I waited to see if there are any leaks by the resivoir. None. Anyways, the EK 150 had a tube going from the very bottom hole right to the pump, which is about 6.5in underbeath from it. The tube goes from the resivoir, into the inlet port on my MCP655 (variable) with an EK D5 XTop Rev. 2. The inlet us the dead center one in the "face", and the outlet is on the top. I than power my pump. I see the water slowly come down the resivoir, into the pump, and it steadily climbs up to my 480 radiator. It appears to be going into the radiator, but it is only trickling out if the other side...

I'll take some, pics and show some issues tomorrow. If anyone thinks they have an idea - great!

EDIT: The problem was solved! My EK Barbs where to long (the threading) and stopped the flow in the 487X2 block. It had nothing to do with the block itself (It was later discovered that the problem was coming from the 4870X2 Block [Koolance VID-487X2]).

Last edited by AmuseMe; November 15, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old November 10, 2009, 09:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

if i am understanding you right , you have a completely closed loop with no way of adding more fluid? Cause it sounds like you need more fluid because the pump is running dry. pictures would sure help alot.
Old November 10, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer265@ View Post
if i am understanding you right , you have a completely closed loop with no way of adding more fluid? Cause it sounds like you need more fluid because the pump is running dry. pictures would sure help alot.
The resivoir isn't completely emptying though. I might make a video also, upload it via YouTube
Old November 10, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
The resivoir isn't completely emptying though. I might make a video also, upload it via YouTube
That'd be useful. If possible can you open the resevoir's top (if it has one) to let water in. If not, you need to just tilt your case around to get as much air out as possible.
Old November 10, 2009, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes, the top is removable.
Old November 10, 2009, 09:42 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Is this what your loop looks like?

Last edited by brewer265@; November 10, 2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old November 10, 2009, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer265@ View Post
Is this what your loop looks like?
No, it's nothing like that. I am on my iPod right now, so I can't really draw it the way it is. I'll get picturs up tomorrow.
Old November 10, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pictures are worth a million words.

Open a port on the reservoir. Tilt the case over to make the res the HIGHEST point in your loop (just ask someone to give you a hand, or just hold it up yourself). Then start to fill. Your pump probably has a lot of trouble overcoming the air still in the radiator (having a closed loop doesn't help).

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old November 11, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

I never close res until my loop is filled and air pushed out. To help air to escape your loop tilt/rock your case.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old November 11, 2009, 08:37 AM
Top Prospect

+1, best solution for a system is having the res as the highest point, and OPEN. It can be closed once your sure the system is completely sorted and no air is in it. Obviously its dangerous, but run a line off the res, so the computer would literally have to be upside down for the fluid to escape.

In mine, if have a 240 rad and the CPU block higher than the res. I was worried that everytime my machine was switched off, the water would fall from the rad in the top, and it would push air for a while everytime i started it. Good thing is, its not easy for air to get up into that rad, so its fine. The fluid doesnt drop out of it, and the level in the res doesnt change.

Sounds like the OP has closed off the system completely before bleeding it. You should have the cap off your res, running the PUMP for a leak test. That means, your rads are full, your pump is full, all the blocks are full, and the lines are full of fluid, get your res to a height you like, and while its running, THEN seal the res. Sounds like your res is doing what my top rad does. Its holding the fluid in the res, and gravity or the pump cant overcome it, because its sealed. I bet when you pop the filler in the res, the fluid falls to the pump?

Its critical to have the pump running 100%, lean the case over in all directions (to let the air escape the blocks and rads) and for the first 1-2 weeks, check the level in your res.

IMHO, id recommend getting a DD or alike, filler port. I have a swiftech micro res, and i put a fitting in the filler port on the res, and installed the DD filler port in the top of the case. So the vented part of my system is at the very top, makes for VERY easy refills, and also when topping the level off, i dont have to remove anything from the computer including the side panel :D That reminds me..... i still havent take pics....... its been months now.
Win 7 64 bit / Antec 1200 / E8400 EK Supreme LT / Xfx 780i SLI / Mushkin 6Gb EM2-6400 - Corsair 3 Fan Cooler / Corsair HX 1000W / 2xSeagate Sata II - Raid 0 / 1xSeagate Sata II - Storage and backup / 2xEVGA GTX285 1Gb- SLI Ek blocks / 2x240 Swiftech Rad, Full Push-Pull / MCP355 w/ Petra Top / Micro Res / Danger Den Fillport Blue / Matrox Digital TH2G / 3xSamsung 226BW's