Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Fesser coolant and 'other fluids"

I've been running my new loop for a while now just to make sure everything is fine, using distilled ATM. I got some fesser coolant that I'm going to try just for a break of many years of glycol green. The bottle is very adamant about not mixing it with any other fluids. Now I have my doubts I'm going to be able to get every last drop of distilled out come change over time without a complete tear down which would be counter productive. Are the two fluids really that incompatible? TBH I was kind of hoping to cut it with something as it looks pretty dark in the bottle and 1L may be pushing it for being enough for my two loops.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 9, 2009, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the fluids are normally made with distilled water i would not worry about it but i would not water it down. ask dazmode if he does not chime in
Old November 9, 2009, 08:04 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I am using the feser one black, drained my loop but not completely of water before, no problems now, been running it for a year. Stuff has zero conductivity, tested it with an ohmmeter.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so i should stick with the black thank squeetard
Old November 9, 2009, 10:20 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The color does not matter. It is just that the non conductive coolant should not be mixed with other types.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very happy so far with feaser coolant compared to all the others
Old November 9, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Not concerned with the (non)conductivity bit, just didn't want an oil/water thing going on. Couldn't find anyhing on the bottle to indicate if it was water based or not - I was assuming so but just wanted to make sure.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 9, 2009, 11:59 AM
Banned
F@H

I'm very intereted to ear what people have to say on that subject to. But if it's for me , it's easy to change the hose. clean the rad is an other thing.
Old November 9, 2009, 12:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think all the warning really means is not to add further dyes/additives or mix two different colours together. Each colour has it's own chemical makeup I suppose and when mixed, they'll break down and make a mess of everything I imagine.

I've had no issues though using various bottles of Feser One UV Blue, and I'm bad and just use tap water to rinse stuff out. Things are still wet when I throw in the Feser and I've had no issues. Colour has always been consistent, and nothing floating around or anything. There's usually some minor build up of slime I guess you could call it on some of the plastics, namely the top of the D-TEK FuZion v2. Can't seem to remove it either though so I think the dye just soaked into the pores overtime.

I even mixed reused Feser (as in I dumped it, ran it through some coffee filters) and new Feser since I didn't have enough "new" stuff left. No problems with that either.

The only time I found actual gunk in my block was during my first flush, which is understandable since I doubt I cleaned the radiator and what not thoroughly.
Old November 9, 2009, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

The part that may couse problems is UV pigment. They are very active chemicals and different colors react with each other.

I use following method to change Feser One from one color to another:

1. Drain my loop
2. Fill with distilled water, run it for few minutes and drain again
3. Repeat 2
4. Fill with new color.

Never had any problem with flaking.

Be extra cautious if replacing Promochill liquid with F1 and visa verso. Those two make spectacular fountain when mixed directly.
HTPC Build: Final Video