Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2009, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Spilled Feser One Coolant

As I was testing out my loop, I realised there was multiple BIG leaks. I spent two hours cleaning up my case and triple-checking everything. However, a "fair" ammount of liquid spilled on the backplate of my 4870X2. I removed the plate and continued to cover the thing with rags untill no more liquid was being absorbed. I am just wondering if I wait about a week from today, will anything that was left (hiden liquid) be dried up? I even used a big black light (UV) And nothing showed up.

So will any dry Feser One Residue damage anything.
Old November 5, 2009, 08:16 AM
Banned
F@H

You can always clean it with water and rinse with Ro or distilled one, but you have to avoid send water in the cooler. Because it will take more time to evaporate and can cause corrosion, the fan bearing will not like it too , not need to tell you : you do it with the card out of the MTB and unpowered
Old November 5, 2009, 08:26 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If the system was flashed up when the leak happened there is a chance you shorted out the card. But that dosen't nessarily mean the end of the world. You've taken the first step to recovering your card, cleaning up the spill. Now I would recommend using some isopropyl alchol to clean the area on the card where the spill occured. The iso evaporates quickly taking with it any latent moisture. Then I would let the card dry for a couple of days before trying the card out.

No guarrantees it will work but electronic gear is quite hardy so long as the card wasn't running when the spill happened or provided it was turned off immediately when spill was discovered and not reflashed prior to a good cleaning there's a good chance it will work.

Some of you may remember a similar incident happened to me recently when my water cooling system leaked and took out my 3870. What is different in case was that the leak was happening over a few days and I only realized there was a problem when my video card failed. By that time it was to late for my old card. Conversly I've had a few other pieces of electronic gear get wet in my day and I've always managed to get it working again with a little patience and a good cleaning.

Good luck, and take your time.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old November 5, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Iso, blow dryer and some Q-tips and hope. but i have washed boards before ( not recommended ) with distilled water and they worked but all this gear was not running when leaks happened so maybe if luck is on your side
Old November 5, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

You should be OK. Feser one is mostly distilled water with single digits of alcohol and even less pigment. If water dried up completely should be no problem. I spilled distilled water all over many times at test runs....
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old November 5, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, it was their UV reactive stuff, and as soon as I noticed a leak, I turned it off, and unplugged everything. However, it could have been leaking for some time before I noticed. But as soon as I did notice, I got a few black lights out (actual lights, not cold cathodes) turned out my lights and cleaned it up untill there was no sign of glowing stuff!
Old November 6, 2009, 06:43 PM
HaDeS

I thought the feser was non conductive. Just wash it with iso and a blow drier... you'll be fine.
Old November 7, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

note blow out all slots and wait 3DAYS by heat source to dry out then try hardware
Old November 7, 2009, 12:23 PM
MVP

Stick it in (completely) some rice...that will suck any moisture out of it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old November 9, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

I wiped most of it up, and havn't done anything for five days. It has been sitting at room temperature. I probably wont get anything else running for another three days as I am waiting for more coolant. I am sure eight days is a long enough time for it to dry