Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2009, 05:19 AM
Top Prospect

Default What can I expect Watercooling my Q9450 at 3.8Ghz, 1.36-40 volts?

Currently I'm running a Q9450 on my Gigabyte UD3P board with a Thermalright Ultra 120 cooling the beast.
I'm pretty happy with the overclocks I can get. Also note, I get about the same temps with my Vendetta II as I get with my Ultra 120.
-I've lapped my CPU and Ultra, but only made a degree or two difference.
-Tried MX-2, MX-3 and Arctic silver 5 with about the same results for everthing

-3.67 Ghz as 1.30v while staying around 65C in OCCT Linpack for an hour (58-60C in P95)
-3.8 Ghz at 1.36v while hovering around 80C in Linpack (low 70's in p95)

It seems that once the voltage goes north of 1.35 temps sky rocket to 80C, which may be limiting my overclock. I have benched it at 4Ghz but it was not stable at 1.36 volts and would shut down under load sometimes.

If I put a decent watercooling loop in, could I keep the processor under 60C at 3.8-4.0Ghz at 1.36-1.4volts? If I'm not going to be able to do this for a reasonable price I'm not going to head down the slippery slope of water cooling. Thinking of adding a 5850 or 70 in the near future too but we'll see how the CPU goes first.

Also note, that if you haven't tried one of the Linpack stress tests, they are the most demanding tests thermally that I have found. But both Linpack and P95 seem to be able to root out an unstable overclock. Linpack just works faster, but I use both.
Old November 1, 2009, 09:34 AM
Rookie

If you're just doing a cpu only loop it doesn't have to be that expensive.

You're lookin at around $60 for a swiftech 320 rad.
$18 for a set of 3 zalman zm-3 fans which if you're buying from ncix can be pm down to that price from 11/fan.
$15-$20 for some primoflex tubing
$50 for a swiftech gtz
$75 for a mpc 655
$20 for a microres v2
$10-$15 for misc fittings and clamps
You might also want to get a radbox if you're not able to fit the rad into your case which is around $20.

so that gives you a pre tax/shipping total of - $248-$278

What you get for that is more than enough to cool your cpu and if you choose to you could easily add gpu cooling.
Also keep in mind that these are new prices, if you're willing to dig around for used stuff you could chop $50-$100 off the total.
Old November 2, 2009, 03:19 AM
HaDeS

XSPC has some water cooling options as well that don't require as much gear and easier to deal with as they sell some pumps with built in res. Keeps the system clean and easy to remove... I have a Kit from them with a single 120mm rad that's allowed some substantial OCing but I am hitting the wall on heat and need a bigger rad. Some guys don't like the all in one pump/res configs as the pump gets cooled by the same loop however submerged pumps tend to have longer lives.

Their rads work very well and aren't cheap little thin ones... their customer service is really good.. they just sent me a brand new dual bay res thanks to kruzin.

XSPC - Performance PC Cooling

XSPC - Performance PC Cooling

I have the dual bay and the x20 150. My only beef with the x20 is getting air out of the loop... if you don't add a fill port you'll be banging your rad around trying to remove all the air and spilling liquid all over topping it off.
Old November 2, 2009, 06:47 AM
Top Prospect

What case are you going to be using and are you looking to have everything internal? Try using IC-7 diamond paste, should knock off a few more degrees if used correctly, I think it's on sale at NCIX. You shouldn't need a triple rad for just a quad, a good dualie should be sufficient. Pa120.2/MCR220 /w 4 fans push pull / TFC 240 or on of the new BI SR1 240s.
Old November 2, 2009, 04:36 PM
Top Prospect

I have the HAF922 case.
Any ballpark ideas on temps to expect? I would like to know what I can expect before I start collecting parts.

I would probably go with a 120.2 rad for starters. I can install one in place of my big top fan. If I need another I could put a 120.1 in series where the back fan goes.

Also, how much difference does the water block make, or should I just get a name brand one that looks good to me.
Old November 2, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just FYI the triple rad does fit. switech gtz or heat killers are the best blocks going right now. your temps will have a lot to do with ambient temp and pressure
Old November 3, 2009, 08:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
just FYI the triple rad does fit. switech gtz or heat killers are the best blocks going right now. your temps will have a lot to do with ambient temp and pressure
Actually I think the recently released Apogee XT is the new king of the hill.

NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings - APOGEE XT In Canada.
Old November 3, 2009, 08:45 PM
Top Prospect

With that case your gonna need a thin rad if you want to make clearance with the mobo. Something like the switech mcr220/ BlackIce Stealth or SR240. A PA120.2 with 38mm fans hangs around 4 inches down from the top and that would probably collide with your mobo in that case. I have a HAF 932, much more room.

What you probably want to do it pick up 1 double rad and 1 or 2 singles. put the double on top with the fans pulling air out and the single on the back same thing with the fans. You could also fit the third rad on the bottom with a push/pull or even in front between the HD cage and the intake fan. If you've got alot of snaking and bending going on use 3/8 tubing, it's be easier the performance is almost Identical to 1/2".

Last edited by rai_polo; November 3, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old November 4, 2009, 05:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

um why have so many rads when even a monsta rad would fit i have a triple rad in the top of my haf with ultra kaze fans and lots of room to spare cooling cpu/gpu loop works great. ( no camera right now )
and i stand corrected i forgot about the new swiftech also heard the it best the heat killers.
Edit sorry i thought he had a haf 932 mis-read that know i understand haf 922
Old November 4, 2009, 05:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
um why have so many rads when even a monsta rad would fit i have a triple rad in the top of my haf with ultra kaze fans and lots of room to spare cooling cpu/gpu loop works great. ( no camera right now )
and i stand corrected i forgot about the new swiftech also heard the it best the heat killers.
Gingerbee, I think you might be confused. He has a HAF 922 which is a mid tower not a HAF 932. There is no way in hell your fitting a monsta in a 922 since it barely fits in a 932.

Here is DAZ from Dazmode proving this:

YouTube - DazMode's Channel