Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   how about a contest of some kind (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/24648-how-about-contest-some-kind.html)

ruffus October 21, 2009 08:32 PM

how about a contest of some kind

hey guys i was thinking that there is not to many guys here that have phase coolers so i would like to offer one up as a prize for a contest if anyone has any good ideas for one

Jake_HT October 21, 2009 08:55 PM

I'm all for that! I'll think of some sort of idea?

Zero82z October 21, 2009 09:01 PM

That's very generous of you :thumb:.

Since this is for a phase unit, perhaps something overclocking-related?

biff October 21, 2009 09:58 PM

Heh, that could be a bit hard to pin down but I'll throw out an idea. Usually phase change=mad OC'er but peoples builds - which I'm assuming would be the subject of said contest - differ a lot with priorities. Some people spread their build out on a desk and run it like that and others like those open cage type cases, myself I like clean self contained builds (no external rads) hat are clean looking and QUIET. I'm not sure how well the quiet part would work with phase change but I know the compressor in my bar fridge in the garage is as close to inaudible as you could hope for - but again I don't know how a compressor like that would perform in this scenario.

IF that were possible I'd be really impressed with a build that was self-contained, though obviously in a large case of the full tower flavour like a HAF-932 for example (to me those huge mountain mods cases are cheating like taking the easy way out but that's just an opinion) and still make a clean sensible build out of it. I'm not sure how that could be done though. Maybe give dimensions and parts list so people could make a 'placebo' phase change unit to put in their builds for display/judging purposes and if they win then they can just remove that and bolt in the prize unit and be up and running.

Just a thought....

[edit]BTW this smells a lot like a promotional scheme to promote your wares... I'm not saying I have a problem with that though. BUT if that is the case you may want you steer the contest in a direction that ends up with a product you can use.... like a nice build that you can use pics of in advertisements to further promote your stuff. If that's not the case then nevermind any of that.[/edit]

headsh0t October 21, 2009 09:59 PM

You should have a contest of whoever pays you the most for it, wins.

But if this actually seriously goes somewhere, then I agree with Zero about overclocking. Maybe SuperPi scores, 3d mark06 scores, etc. could be used to judge the winner or just the gain % in clock frequency.

biff October 21, 2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsh0t (Post 275259)
You should have a contest of whoever pays you the most for it, wins.

But if this actually seriously goes somewhere, then I agree with Zero about overclocking. Maybe SuperPi scores, 3d mark06 scores, etc. could be used to judge the winner or just the gain % in clock frequency.

That leaves some (but not all) up to chance. Is someone deserving of a prize if they happen to stumble into a chip that clocks well above what other samples are capable of?

Supergrover October 21, 2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Maybe SuperPi scores, 3d mark06 scores, etc. could be used to judge the winner or just the gain % in clock frequency.
Waits for 3oh6 to see this thread.:blarg:

ruffus October 22, 2009 06:30 AM

OK guys well 3oH6 well me and him are friends he lives here in London so i think if we were to do something in the OC area then i would have to say he can not be compete nor can #2 in Canada as they both live here in London and both are friends of mine and both have phase units.
now i really don't think having the contest as making a geto phase unit is out just because here in Canada u have to have your tickets to get the gases and it can cost allot for the tools and so on and so forth i think we would have to start by getting some judges and work out what the contest will be. now i am doing this because i would really like to see more people here in Canada get into the hard core benching as there is not to many of us here and Canada is not well known for OC'ing and i would like to help change this as well i can't say that its not to help out my business i would be lieing if i did but that is not what i set out to do

so maybe we could do
custom case mods
custom cooling salution (like really off the wall)
if we were to do a OC'ing contest how would we do this
how about custom video cooling
well guys any other ideas would help and then once we have worked it all out and got the judges then i will post pics of the prize or maybe i need to comer up with a 1st,2nd and 3rd prizes i guess i will have to see what i got for systems here maybe i could come up with 2 units then i would just have to come up with a 3rd less there is some one else that would like to put up some thing for prizes

ruffus October 22, 2009 08:37 AM

so i have been thinking maybe i could build a small water chiller for second place if we could find someone to put up something as the third prize.

ruffus October 22, 2009 08:40 AM

ok as well i just asked my team leader to talk to the coolit rep and see if we could get something for third place