Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old November 2, 2009, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 89
Default

ok guys lets get this first one started or atleast work things out so that we can get started
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old November 2, 2009, 12:35 PM
Fox's Avatar
Fox Fox is offline
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 132

My System Specs

Default

@HaDeS

While folding contest maybe "boring and unoriginal" it goes to a great cause and with diminishing returns on points allows a wide range of people to get a chance to win something. If you base the contest on overclocks, benchmarks or cooling solutions, then you end up giving the people who already have nice stuff, nicer stuff. A contest like this is awesome cause it gives people who don't have sweet cooling setups a chance to win something sweet.

Alternatively, you could do a OC/Benchmark contest with scaled entries, so the 1st place person gets 10 entries or something and everyone else gets scaled respectively to that score. That would still allow for a wide range of entries, yet those who get best scores (and who would most likely get the best use out of the stuff) have better chances. You could even make it a two part contest, entries for folding and entries for OC/Benchmarking.

A little off topic, but what PS are you using that's now stuck at 100% fan?
__________________

Last edited by Fox; November 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old November 2, 2009, 01:13 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 89
Default

guys i am open to anything as i just want to get more people into phase cooling as phase is where the big numbers are and i would like to see canada get up there with some of the other contrys that do this stuff as there is alot of us doing this just to get more out there from us all so this y i am putting things up to win this way we can get more of us doing this sort of stuff
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old November 4, 2009, 03:05 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 89
Default

well guys lets get this thing started so how r we going to work this and who and how r we going to keep track of everything so that someone can make the draw at the end
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old November 4, 2009, 08:00 PM
HaDeS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
@HaDeS

While folding contest maybe "boring and unoriginal" it goes to a great cause and with diminishing returns on points allows a wide range of people to get a chance to win something. If you base the contest on overclocks, benchmarks or cooling solutions, then you end up giving the people who already have nice stuff, nicer stuff. A contest like this is awesome cause it gives people who don't have sweet cooling setups a chance to win something sweet.

Alternatively, you could do a OC/Benchmark contest with scaled entries, so the 1st place person gets 10 entries or something and everyone else gets scaled respectively to that score. That would still allow for a wide range of entries, yet those who get best scores (and who would most likely get the best use out of the stuff) have better chances. You could even make it a two part contest, entries for folding and entries for OC/Benchmarking.

A little off topic, but what PS are you using that's now stuck at 100% fan?
Sorry to be the devils advocate... wouldn't this just be a lottery? I guess it's just a mix of the both. Yes your correct it does take out some of the people that don't do any kind of OC etc... and possibly give someone with nice stuff nicer stuff... but my whole point remains the same... its an enthusiast prize type... it should go to an enthusiast or someone with some creative ability. I will keep my 2 cents for round 2 I suppose. Please I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Keep in mind some of the proteins you fold can be used for bad or good. Besides the power usage is insane.. they gotta improve their programming not to over heat or ruin hardware. 300 dollar psu shouldn't have even flinched yet it did.

On the constructive side I suppose a fella could always do a bit of both or a bit of 2 or 3 various computer type things and turn it into an all rounder instead of a single discipline.
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old November 4, 2009, 10:13 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 89
Default

ok guys i would love to get this contest on the go so i am not to sure how the last one all worked so if someone could post all the rules and stuff i and we all need to know so that we can get this started. i just need to know like the rules who is keeping track of everything and at the end of it all who is doing the draw
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old November 4, 2009, 10:59 PM
Fox's Avatar
Fox Fox is offline
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 132

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Sorry to be the devils advocate... wouldn't this just be a lottery? I guess it's just a mix of the both. Yes your correct it does take out some of the people that don't do any kind of OC etc... and possibly give someone with nice stuff nicer stuff... but my whole point remains the same... its an enthusiast prize type... it should go to an enthusiast or someone with some creative ability.
Fair enough, I still like the idea of letting everyone have a chance, but it would definately be a shame having someone win this who doesn't plan to use it to it's full potential. Possibly it could be based off Benchmarks/OC's where you need to beat a reasonably placed mark (possibly scaled to system specs) to be entered, then entries would be scaled according to top scores. This way it's still a lottery, but depending where the mark is set, it would most likely be going to an enthusiast.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus
ok guys i would love to get this contest on the go so i am not to sure how the last one all worked so if someone could post all the rules and stuff i and we all need to know so that we can get this started. i just need to know like the rules who is keeping track of everything and at the end of it all who is doing the draw
I'm not sure, but maybe you can convince a mod to assist you in being a neutral judging party. Additionally, what kind of competition did you decide on?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2009, 02:33 AM
HaDeS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Look under old contests and new contests their rules are explained pretty well. Either that or contact 3.0charlie he can point you in the right direction...
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old November 6, 2009, 02:02 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 89
Default

ok well i was told that the first one must be a folding contest with the same rules as the last one so i say who wants to help me run this thing i am hoping 3oh6 will help out as he is one of the guys that said can not win. now if i can not get 3oh6 to help out is there any one that wants to help. so guys lets get this going and i need help can't do it all my self as if i have to do it all my self then i will just do what ever i want and judge it my self as i would love to see some of u guys custom builing something as a contest my self. as well been working on the chiller will post a couple pics later but so for i have it holding -10c at 200 watts of heat but this is with a crappy water block but still working on it to see if i can get better temps at higher watts. so what ytemps at what watt load do u guys want to see
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old November 6, 2009, 04:46 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,929

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I also can't even fold right now, my GTX260 just crashes on F@H. :

My main system is a POS. (two mobo's need to be sent for RMA). I use my GPU on my HTPC for DXVA. So that leaves just a Q8200 to use. So hopefully requirements won't be too high.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What the heck kind of name is Mushkin?? clone63 Off Topic 28 July 6, 2009 12:38 AM
What kind of frame rates can I expect on WoW andynerd Gaming 11 May 29, 2009 07:08 PM
What kind of PPD should I be getting? Daygard HardwareCanucks F@H Team 2 April 29, 2009 07:06 PM
UPS - the good kind Dr_BenD_over Peripherals 8 December 17, 2008 07:05 PM
Distro with some kind of Lightscribe support? sswilson O/S's, Drivers & General Software 8 May 30, 2007 07:09 PM