Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2009, 06:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My vote would go with the folding, we do need to get more ppd to pass TPU
Old October 22, 2009, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect

OK Gav is in he just wants to know what the contest will be and the rules. so i just want to put out there that i would like to be a contest that everyone can get involved in so low to no cost
Old October 22, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

folding, if you are on here, you have a CPU, and probably a decent GPU so we could get some decent PPD with that prize.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old October 22, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus View Post
OK Gav is in he just wants to know what the contest will be and the rules. so i just want to put out there that i would like to be a contest that everyone can get involved in so low to no cost
Folding contests require money to have good chances too, although a draw is nice it really sucks when you don't have like a folding farm.
Old October 22, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Best ghetto mod?
Hey, why not? Best looking cheap a$$ cooling mode? I had a lot of fan with my low cost watercooling I did recently and it turns out great.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 23, 2009, 04:36 AM
Top Prospect

well i know i would like to see something that is hands on but sometimes that can cost some cash and i don't want to stop people that don't have to much cash from getting a chance to win a nice phase cooler or even the water chiller i am thinking about building for the second place prize
Old October 23, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Folding contests require money to have good chances too, although a draw is nice it really sucks when you don't have like a folding farm.
I would think that since ruffus wants this to be more of a "anybody can win" kind of contest, that it would simply be a "if you submit at least X WUs in this time period you are automatically entered" kinda thing.

I liked the idea of the last one - including WUs from before the contest for an extra draw ticket, to reward people who are honest-to-goodness HWC folders rather than just scumbags like me. So maybe make it like fold at least 1 WU during the contest, get one entry. If you folded at least 1 WU in the week before the contest, you get an additional entry. That way, even folks on a lowly uniproc client can have as much of a chance to win as the power folders.

And that's a good thing for HWC folding, because if you take a guy who only folds with his Sempron and give him a phase change unit - chances are that guy is gonna want to make some upgrades - which would likely mean more team PPD.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 23, 2009, 09:36 AM
Rookie

One part of the contest should be overclocking such as 32m efficiency at said clock say 3.6 ghz or something or highest FSB on socket 775 or similar anyone can do it
Old October 23, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I liked the way the last contest was done, and not only because it gave me an advantage. However, I see what Dead Things is saying and I can agree with that too.

But why not calculate points from multiple contests?

IE: keep the folding contest like last time where the more you fold the more entries you get. But also have a contest for ghetto cooling concepts, and 8 entries for first, 5 for second, 3 for third. In fact, include as many of the contests you like of what people suggested and then tally points after each contest.

Then have the points for every person totaled up and added to a draw.

Should make it even for the people like me who sunk their watercooling/overclocking money into folding hardware, but at the same time give people with no cashflow good chances at the prize.

.... or just do what dead things suggested.

Oh, and if you don't have 30 posts from today then you can't enter.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If Gav has a green light on this, I think Folding will be best.
How the rules apply I have no idea, but Even a CPU can fold a few good WU's.

I think You should make it so that Anyone who can enter has to have folded from X time - X time to get an entrance to the draw.
So say from like October 26th - Nov 6th kinda thing.

My thoughts.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com