Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2009, 06:28 PM
Rookie

Default Noob here. Please help me..

I'm running i7 920 D0, Gigabyte Extreme with Scythe Mugen 2.. not so happy with the temps and thinking to
use water cooling.. My money is gone and looking for used wc..

So i got this offer :
"1 new MCP655 (d5), 1 lightly used Apogee GTZ with custom brass bracket for 1366, 2x BRAND NEW swiftech MCR 320 (3x120mm rads), a t-fitting, a bit of tubing (unused), all 1/2" for $250 CAD

What do you guys think? and what should i modify to this setup? and he said he had 3 powerful fans too..

Cheers.. :)

Last edited by vinzend; October 15, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:33 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

From my noobish eyes, it looks like a good start, but what about rez? and 2 320 looks kinda overkill.
and Why just 3 fans?...
Old October 15, 2009, 06:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLg View Post
From my noobish eyes, it looks like a good start, but what about rez? and 2 320 looks kinda overkill.
and Why just 3 fans?...
he said to use t-line instead of reservoir.. i have no idea bout this.. :confused:
he said sandwiching 3fans between 2x320 will give my cooool temps.. :confused:

and how many fans should i have? btw, it's $250 CAD..
Old October 15, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have tested similar set up here (scroll down a bit for graphs with temps):http://www.dazmode.com

$250 for the set, kind on the border for me. Are any fittings included?
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 15, 2009, 07:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
I have tested similar set up here (scroll down a bit for graphs with temps):http://www.dazmode.com

$250 for the set, kind on the border for me. Are any fittings included?
what do u mean by the border? and what fittings? i dont know anything about watercooling.. :(
Old October 15, 2009, 07:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Fittings are what the tubing attaches to. And I think you could buy those parts new for about $275 plus tax, so it's not a super deal. And 2 MCR320's is overkill for a CPU only loop. I used one and that cooled my 920 with a GTZ and GTX285 with block just fine.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzend View Post
I'm running i7 920 D0, Gigabyte Extreme with Scythe Mugen 2.. not so happy with the temps and thinking to
use water cooling.. My money is gone and looking for used wc..

So i got this offer :
"1 new MCP655 (d5), 1 lightly used Apogee GTZ with custom brass bracket for 1366, 2x BRAND NEW swiftech MCR 320 (3x120mm rads), a t-fitting, a bit of tubing (unused), all 1/2" for $250 CAD

What do you guys think? and what should i modify to this setup? and he said he had 3 powerful fans too..

Cheers.. :)
First you don't need two of those rads, especially for a single CPU,a single MCR320 with push/pull will work nicely . But hey once you start WCing you'll probably get addicted and may need the second rad :)

IMO your not getting a screaming deal on this equipment by any means, but your not getting ripped off either. Price check this against Direct Canada and you will see what I mean.

You'll need some barbs though, is he throwing those in ?
3 powerful fans mean's nothing, what brand and model, so we can determine air flow and noise?
Do you care about the noise level?
Are you going to install in case or out?
Tee fitting will work but even a small reservoir like swiftech MRes ($25) is better IMO.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, $250's nothing special. Especially if you're only cooling a CPU, the second radiator is a little redundant, especially with high-powered fans. And you have to be a more patient person than me to use a t-line instead of a reservoir - bleeding takes much longer, and the performance gain is honestly pretty tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzend
i dont know anything about watercooling.
The best thing you can do is do some reading on the subject, then. Watercooling can be a lot of fun, but going into it blind can result in a lot of frustration. A lot of enthusiast forums (i.e. Here), have sticky threads for learning the basics of watercooling; read a variety of them and get a handle on what you need. The parts may change, but the concepts haven't changed much in a long time. Look at some other people's rigs and see what they're using, and how well it's working for them. Once the subject is more comfortable, you can start asking questions to fill in the blanks.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Fittings are what the tubing attaches to. And I think you could buy those parts new for about $275 plus tax, so it's not a super deal. And 2 MCR320's is overkill for a CPU only loop. I used one and that cooled my 920 with a GTZ and GTX285 with block just fine.
iono, it's like a combo.. i havent done any bargain.. i think i can lower the price to $220.. (hope so :D)
what are ur temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark View Post
First you don't need two of those rads, especially for a single CPU,a single MCR320 with push/pull will work nicely . But hey once you start WCing you'll probably get addicted and may need the second rad :)

IMO your not getting a screaming deal on this equipment by any means, but your not getting ripped off either. Price check this against Direct Canada and you will see what I mean.

You'll need some barbs though, is he throwing those in ?
3 powerful fans mean's nothing, what brand and model, so we can determine air flow and noise?
Do you care about the noise level?
Are you going to install in case or out?
Tee fitting will work but even a small reservoir like swiftech MRes ($25) is better IMO.
yea probly i'll keep 1 for next time if i get addicted or w/e.. :D

yea i'll try bargaining.. hope can lower it to $220.. :D

im planning to buy Cosmos S too so i can fit it in.. currently using antec 1200 which cant fit in for sure..
and about the reservoir, he said t-line is better in throwing the air away or something like that.. :confused:

So, what should i do then?
Old October 15, 2009, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

At 4.0 GHZ I was 42 idle and 61 load. $220 would be more in line for used equipment. And you'll love the Cosmos, I had one before I moved to the TJ-07.

Get a res, what he said about the T-line is straight BS.