Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2007, 12:48 AM
Top Prospect

Ok I have come to the the realization from lack of response that people here are thinking "what the hell is this guy talking about"

The reason I have been going on about this is because my pump has a male connector. Which I now believe is normal but I was under the impression I could connect the pump directly to my power supply and with a male connector off my pump I can not. Reason being I thought I could (with out any other cables) connect the pump directly to my PSU.

See my PSU is fully modular, there isn't any cable coming out of it. Where swiftech has a male connector on the pump because you are suppose to connect the male end off the pump to a female end on a PSU.

So I have to use a female cable that came with my PSU hence adding to cable clutter instead of being able to connect direct to my PSU.

In essence I am connecting directly to my PSU it just that I have to add a female to female patch in order to do so.

This must do something to the volts.
1 Primary Raptor X 150 gig + 2 150 gig Raptors in RAID 0,
Swiftech H20-220 Ultra with a Stealth GPU water block,
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC 24" monitor,
Lian Li V2000 Plus Case slightly modded,
Steelseries Akari Laser Gaming Mouse, Razor Tarantula keyboard,
AuzenTech Prelude Sound Card,
Pioneer VSX-1016TXV receiver with Bose 301's,
AKG K240 Phones, Blue Snowflake USB Microphone.
Old September 2, 2007, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Taking a look at the picture of your PSU on OCZ's website, I think I understand what you're talking about - the modular connectors on your PSU look identical in shape and size to a regular male molex connector. I suppose if you went to the trouble of attaching a female lead to your pump, you might be able to plug directly into the PSU's output. But it's really not necessary. You're probably stuck with a little extra cabling in your case, unfortunately.

The voltage drop will be negligible. Really, having a "middle cable" is the norm for modular power supplies. If you wanted to get technical, there's a very tiny Vdrop across the extra connector, but the only people I ever see complaining about this "voltage drop" is PC Power & Cooling, who are notorious for refusing to make modular power supplies.

Edit: I would say that this is just an example of the maker saving a few pennies by using molex connectors rather than a custom plug design. I just took a quick look, and my Antec PSU uses all PCI-E connector heads for its modular plugs, even the ones that just lead to molex and SATA power connectors.

Last edited by MpG; September 2, 2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old September 3, 2007, 04:38 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the help MpG, but I will be using my new Ultra X3 1000 watt PSU.

Regardless of the power supply I just want to know if I can replace the male connector on the pump with a female connector so I don't have to use a (typical) female to female connector.

Here are the cables that I have to choose from if I can't replace the male connector. The longer cable are all female connectors and the short 2 end cable are also both female connectors.

As you can see and as you know the longer cable is a very typical cable used to connect multiple devices in series. ie; One female connects to the PSU the other 3 to different 4 pin Molex devices. But, in my situation there isn't any reason for me to use one specific cable for multiple devices being that I have plenty of outlets on my PSU. Not only that the distance from my water pump to my PSU is a total distance of 6 inches.

Anyway, I am awaiting replies from Swiftech if it is ok to replace the male Molex with a female Molex. I really can't see this being a problem as the same wires (Yellow) & Black) go from male and match up with the yellow and black wires in the female connector.

I am being super careful because I really don't want to anything up.

Also can you or anyone for that matter tell me if this is the correct placement of the yellow and black wires for the male Molex.

Thanks again MpG.

Last edited by Corpus Masochist; September 3, 2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old September 3, 2007, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

I would think you could just use the shorter of the female-female connectors and loop it a couple times around the pump's base. But if you're really looking to reduce cable clutter, I'd go right ahead and change that connector on your water pump.

Erm... as far as your picture is concerned, I think I'm looking at what a normal female end of a molex connector should be like. On top of that, there's no guarantee that the connector going into the PSU's end maintains a standard molex configuration. It looks like it, but I can't make out the individual wires in your photograph.

The best approach would probably be to (temporarily) use the female-female connector to hook up the pump, then just manually trace the leads coming out of the water pump to the PSU. On the female-female section, mark the power and ground wires respectively, based on which are being used by the pump's plug (Outside wire on plug will be power, inside will be ground). Then follow the wires on the female-female section to where they connect to the PSU, and visually verify which of the two pins on the PSU will be providing power and ground. Then simply wire in the female socket to your water pump leads to match. This will avoid any chance of a mix-up, just in case the PSU maker decided to get creative with their connectors.
Old September 3, 2007, 09:45 PM
Top Prospect

My thoughts exactly. I will wait to hear back from Swiftech then proceed.

Thanks a ton.
Old September 9, 2007, 09:30 PM
Top Prospect

So after explaining to Swiftech time and time again my situation and telling them that I have a modular PSU they finally said yes I can change the male connector on the pump to a female connector.