Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2009, 12:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Remount CPU water block?

This is a kind of weird question... but it's always good to know for sure before you do something.

Anyway, I have a feeling that I got a bad mount with my Swiftech GTZ. Temperatures haven't been exactly stellar, and are actually quite similar to when I had a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4.

Just to check first, are my temperatures okay?

Ambient is around 21C. Idles of 42-44C, load via Prime95 of around 57-60C.
Like wise, when the room temperature goes up, Idle is still the same, but I've had a maximum load of around 66C.

Anyway, considering these temperatures are off, I'm wondering if I can remount the block without draining the loop. I think I'm asking for a lot here, but it would save me a crazy amount of time and trouble. Also, would I be able to turn my case onto it's side?

Can refer to my rig via sig. Pump is running on speed 1, using 3 Gelid Silent fans.

Thanks in advanced.

Edit
Doh! Sig failed.
  • CPU: Intel E8400 C0 @ 4.00GHz
  • Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
  • RAM: Patriot Viper PC6400 @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-12
  • Graphics: Asus EAH4870 DK 512MB
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB and Seagate 7200.11 1TB (firmware flashed)
  • Power Supply: Corsair TX650W
  • Chassis: Antec P182
The water cooling parts are as follows;
  • Pump: Swiftech MCP655 Vario
  • Rad: Swiftech MCR320
  • CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ
  • NB Block: Swiftech MCW30
  • VGA Block: Swiftech MCW60-R2
  • Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro Rev.2
  • Tubing: Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT 1/2'' ID UV Blue
  • Coolant: Good ol' Distilled Water
Old October 11, 2009, 02:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are all 4 screws tightened down to the stops? That's what I liked about the GTZ, it was hard to mount incorrectly. Check that you've got the inlet and outlet plumbed correctly. That's a common error that really effects the temps.

As long as your res is sealed, you can lay the case on it's side. I wouldn't do it while the pump is running though.
Old October 11, 2009, 02:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I got the screws mounted down. I think I might've applied too much/ too little thermal compound though.

Of course I'll do it while the computer's off, I just want to make sure it's do-able. And yes, I'm sure I have the inlet/ outlet correct.

Guess I'll do a remount tonight. Thanks SugarJ.

Old October 11, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you do re-mount the block like Sugar said, case on its side.. and it works without leeking, lemme know please bottle..

I'm in a similar situation myself, cpu temps are little on the high side..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 11, 2009, 05:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey miggs,

Alright news. Managed to re-mount, but it was still quite a bit of trouble.

Depending on your loop set up, it can be hard to move the CPU block to a position where you are able to clean both the block and the CPU after unmounting.

That being said, I was lucky enough for mine to go fairly smoothly, just a bit cramped.

A difference? Just a bit. I've dropped about 2C on idle, load is about the same, maybe a degree less.

Worth it? At least now I have the peace of mind that I've mounted it the best way I could have.

But yes, no leaks what so ever! Good luck with yours miggs.

Old October 11, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

nOt inly GTZ required correct inlet outlet, but also a specific orientation.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 11, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Hey miggs,

Alright news. Managed to re-mount, but it was still quite a bit of trouble.

Depending on your loop set up, it can be hard to move the CPU block to a position where you are able to clean both the block and the CPU after unmounting.

That being said, I was lucky enough for mine to go fairly smoothly, just a bit cramped.

A difference? Just a bit. I've dropped about 2C on idle, load is about the same, maybe a degree less.

Worth it? At least now I have the peace of mind that I've mounted it the best way I could have.

But yes, no leaks what so ever! Good luck with yours miggs.
Hello again bottle, good to see you around :).. let me get this straight, did you just unmount the block from the board, or remove tubing (yea please don't mind my stupidity... lol). I reckon you unmounted the block from the board only.. if that's the case, no problem.. I've done it before..

I'm thinking reason my temps are high, it maybe because of 2 possible things.. first bad mounting (without backplate unfortunately), too much pressure on one side than the other, or just mounted too hard.. or second it could be the gelid paste I use, I recently switched from As5, a PITA to work with and spread.. so I switched to gelid (since I used it on my gpu too), it's so much easier to work with.. maybe it's not doing as good as I thought..

Take Care eey..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 11, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I recently switched from As5, a PITA to work with and spread.. so I switched to gelid (since I used it on my gpu too), it's so much easier to work with.. maybe it's not doing as good as I thought..
Believe me that is not GELID to blame on.
Old October 11, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

MX-2 or MX-3 ftw.

I refuse to use anything else.
Old October 11, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
MX-2 or MX-3 ftw.

I refuse to use anything else.
Is MX-3 thick as MX-2 or they make it smoother? I stumble upon on GELID by accident and got better temps then MX-2, but I have not had chance to try MX-3 myself.