Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
Is MX-3 thick as MX-2 or they make it smoother? I stumble upon on GELID by accident and got better temps then MX-2, but I have not had chance to try MX-3 myself.
I haven't had a chance to use mx-3 but I've never found MX-2 to be thick?
Old October 11, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

May be I had a bad batch, but last two tubes from NCIX (separate orders) were very sticky and hard to work with, while Gelid was like soft butter and took 3 times less to apply in more equal way across the chip.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 11, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
May be I had a bad batch, but last two tubes from NCIX (separate orders) were very sticky and hard to work with, while Gelid was like soft butter and took 3 times less to apply in more equal way across the chip.
Sticky yes.

But I've always felt it went on very nice.

And my tube is a few years old now.
Old October 12, 2009, 02:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Haha, yes miggs, I just took the block off the board, no tubing removed.

And yes, I do my research too before doing anything crazy. The GTZ is mounted in the correct orientation.

Using MX-2... but again, I'm looking at fairly similar temperatures, but I can't complain.

I mean I could bring the pump up to speed 4, use some faster fans, and I'd probably be in business.

Too bad I'm a hater of noise. Just glad to see my temps staying a bit cooler than usual.

That being said though... are my temps nominal? Or are they higher than what one would expect? Considering pump speed, rad, fans, and blocks/ restrictions.

Thanks for the input.

Old October 12, 2009, 04:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

I suggest to increase speed of your pump to 3. At 1 it is really low pressure. I doubt you will hear any difference.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 12, 2009, 11:04 AM
Rookie

Other than spilling water my biggest concern when remounting in place is to ensure the block base is protected with a cloth or something so you don't ding the surface.
Been using AS Ceramique for several years now and it's worked great, sure it's sticky and thick but that hasn't been an issue. Recently tried Gelid TIM and although easier to work with my temps are up as well. First noticed it on my N.B. mount which is an easy two bolt mount, just tighten up the screws. However the load temp. went up 5-10c even after a couple of remounts.
I'm getting the same temps as you using a new HK3 and the Gelid TIM. The HK3 can be a bit of a pain to mount as well but after getting the English install instructions I've built a jig so I can get a proper mount. Later this week I'll be re-mounting again this time using Ceramique and hope to see a significant drop in CPU temp. The current idle delta T of 16C between water and CPU temps seems to be too high.
I'll let you know if my temps. change.
After bench testing the MCP-655 Vario and MCP-350 I'm with Daze, you probably want to increase your pump speed. I don't have the results in front of me but at speed 1 the pump hardly has any discharge pressure and the flow is very low.
Old October 12, 2009, 12:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Is MX-3 thick as MX-2 or they make it smoother? I stumble upon on GELID by accident and got better temps then MX-2, but I have not had chance to try MX-3 myself.
I got a tube of MX-3 with my last order from Petra's. It seems to be about the same consistency, but I never found MX-2 to be hard to spread.
Old October 12, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The pump speed thing confuses me a bit because the water needs to sit in a radiator long enough to cool off. if you look at a car for example it has a thermostat which only opens when the water in the engine block reaches a certain temperature this gives the water that is inside of the Radiator a chance to cool off.
also is silver based paste better? ( or are they all silver based)
Old October 12, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I got a tube of MX-3 with my last order from Petra's. It seems to be about the same consistency, but I never found MX-2 to be hard to spread.
I might have to really buy MX-2.. just to see how it is.. although, Gelid paste I got.. it's so easy to spread, ice cream really..

@bottle.. thanks for confirming..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 12, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
The pump speed thing confuses me a bit because the water needs to sit in a radiator long enough to cool off. if you look at a car for example it has a thermostat which only opens when the water in the engine block reaches a certain temperature this gives the water that is inside of the Radiator a chance to cool off.
also is silver based paste better? ( or are they all silver based)
This is why you need fans with a good static pressure so that the water doesn't have to sit. With a good static pressure the water is cooled as fast or near as fast as its coming into the rad.