Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2009, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

Default How do I tell if my components are compatible with compression fittings?

I'm wondering this for:

Swiftech MCR320
Swiftech MCP655

And how do I know which ones are right for me? I have primochill 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing.

Also, what is the recommended res for the Corsair Obsidian? I'm using the Swiftech Microres V2 and I'm sure it is not compatible with compression fittings

Is this good?

Bitspower Ultimate G 1/4 Thread 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Compression Fitting - (1/8" Walled Tubing) - FrozenCPU.com
Old October 11, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You will need a aftermarket top for the 655 if you want to use comp fittings since the barbs are not removable.
Or you could cut and tap the stock 655 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 11, 2009, 12:54 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks. Is there a smaller alternative to the 655? It's so big and doesn't fit in the bottom cubby of the Corsair Obsidian.

Where would someone go if they wish to see other people's builds in a Corsair Obsidian? I need some more ideas/inspirations
Old October 11, 2009, 12:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You will only be able to use 1 compression fitting on the Swiftech MCRes due to space restrictions.

I'd say look around for the Primochill Typhoon III to mount your MCP655 to. If he's still selling, someone was selling it for $30 + shipping. Just search the BST forum. Retails for almost $60.

Old October 11, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There's a list for blocks. Those will work on the rad but the MCP655 needs a top to use fittings (as already pointed out). Those are good compression fittings you linked to.
Old October 11, 2009, 01:40 PM
Top Prospect

How are bay Res's? Are they better or worse than what I have? How do you fill them up?
Old October 11, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

As long as distance between inlet/outlet is larger the outer diameter x2 of mpression fitting (~26mm x 2 for 1/2"), you are OK.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 12, 2009, 12:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
Thanks. Is there a smaller alternative to the 655? It's so big and doesn't fit in the bottom cubby of the Corsair Obsidian.

Where would someone go if they wish to see other people's builds in a Corsair Obsidian? I need some more ideas/inspirations
I'm using the 350 with a EK top, in my Obsidian build and it fits nicely on the bottom with the swiftech res on the upper shelve.
There are some pics of builds on the Corsair site. I've resigned myself to the fact the I can't run 3/4" O.D. tubing through the grouments in the Obsidian as I want to be able to put the right side panel on without it bulging.
Old October 12, 2009, 05:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
How are bay Res's? Are they better or worse than what I have? How do you fill them up?
A res is a res. If you have room to spare in the interior of the case then a bay res is the way to go but seeing as the swiftech is that small it shouldn't be a problem fitting it. For the pumps you'll need an aftermarket top for either of them to accept compression barbs because the stock barbs are fixed. I would recommend the xspc top with an mcp355.
Old October 12, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Bay Res.. I'm not a big fan of them, you see with the Swiftech Mcres Micro is that you can practically try and get it almost anywhere, plus it's easier to fill/bleed.. With a bay res, off course the first place you would put it is in the 5 1/4" bay, you could use double sided tape or velcro pads and mount it somewhere else, but the barbs just come out the back of the res, only one place and if you put it in the bays, it's a pain to fill the loop and drain if you had to.

Nothing a Swiftech res can't do, plus it's pretty cheap.. get the Revision 2, it comes with threaded hole on the top and bottom for barbs to be used, the bottom port especially is very useful, in some cases you wouldn't even need a 90 degree or an angled fitting, it works well..

Here's a pic of what I did .. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...n-dscf0708.jpg
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution