Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0defreak View Post
So the questions:
  1. are there any other setups out there in which the pump conects to your mobo via USB?
  2. are there any other companies out there which have software to control your hardware?
  3. does anyone have reservoir meter? I thought this was one of the coolest parts that I was able to pickup from Aqua! Its a small plastic stick with sensors. A hole is cut into the cap of the reservoir and the top of the meter is sent through USB! The meter is picked up in the AquaSuite and you can do some cool things; like: I setup when the water goes to some minimum level the computer will safely shutdown. This is great for someone like me who likes to leave the computer on when they are out!
1. Why would you want the pump connected via USB? Even the quietest pumps are capable of maintaining a flowrate that will see component performing properly, which makes for quite minimal gains from any ability to temporarily boost speed. And since the pumps are already quiet, there's no reason to turn them down any further.
2. Items like the BigNG or Koolance's newer PM-200 are other software controlled options, although once programmed, both have the option of running without any further USB connection.
3. That falls into my personal category of "Why?". Any sudden water-loss will see your temps quickly start to rise. Far simpler to simply set the BIOS to shutdown if the temperatures exceed a certain level, as determined in advance by a worst-case full system heat-loading, plus a little bit of leeway. This also effectively protects against pump and fan failure.
Old October 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
@Admin, is it OK to post pictures of my system in this thread or should I post pictures in the default thread PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER\Gallery\Post your WaterCooled PC pics here thread (I would also like to post some screenshots of the software mentioned!)
I would suggest the PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER\Gallery section.
Old October 8, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Running software company business for years, being Microsoft Gold partner and so on... Software will be the last place I will put my trust in for my water cooling hobby.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 8, 2009, 02:31 PM

I'll be interested to see this "system" of his to be honest.

Stuff like that is completely unnecessary. It targets the hobbyist who doesn't care about performance (no improvement on that side of things) or aesthetics (cluttering up a build with a bunch of random wires never makes it look better).

I don't think you'll find many of those here.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old October 8, 2009, 03:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
[/list]1. Why would you want the pump connected via USB? Even the quietest pumps are capable of maintaining a flowrate that will see component performing properly, which makes for quite minimal gains from any ability to temporarily boost speed. And since the pumps are already quiet, there's no reason to turn them down any further.
2. Items like the BigNG or Koolance's newer PM-200 are other software controlled options, although once programmed, both have the option of running without any further USB connection.
3. That falls into my personal category of "Why?". Any sudden water-loss will see your temps quickly start to rise. Far simpler to simply set the BIOS to shutdown if the temperatures exceed a certain level, as determined in advance by a worst-case full system heat-loading, plus a little bit of leeway. This also effectively protects against pump and fan failure.
add1. the point of connecting the pump is the pump shows my water temp, flow, and also handles all of the associated fans to the system. E.g. my 3 fans on my radiator. I agree, there is not much need to play with the power usage of the pump, however, I am constantly "playing" with my setup and its nice 'n' easy to play using the provided suite.
add2. I haven't had time to invest too much reading in the systems/software mentioned, however, I really like to be able to "optimize" according to my application with the click of a mouse. Also, I realize turning a "hard" dial is not such a painful task, however, I prefer working with numbers rather than positions of a dial. Furthermore, I am guessing you have no idea what types of controls I have with the suite. Specifically the most useful control is setting a nominal temperature of the water and a max/min on the fan speeds according to the nominal value. What does this do? When my computer is at idle the fans come on at about 60% once every 40minutes. Thats quite nice and very quiet!
add3. I totally agree with you. This is definitely a personal thing. I guess I just think its cool and also, I am sometimes "not caring" about remembering my water needs to be added about once every 3 months. (lets just say I am also not the best gardener!) Taking a quick look at my digital meter I can tell if its time to: Shutdown, remove 8 screws, remove the cap to the reservoir, and finally top off my system.

Also guys, you seem to get a bit irritable... I am only here to share my experience, learn from you and also hopefully get some assistance in the future when I look to upgrade... (I never realized how big the Canadians are in modding! This forum is really great and you guys seem to have a lot of fun!)

I am also not trying to say Aqua is the best retailer. And someone also mentioned they feel Aqua is the best in Europe and it just so happens that's where I am situated hence I am happy with my choice.

Regards from Vienna
Old October 8, 2009, 04:00 PM
Rookie

not the best quality, however, here is a picture of part of my rig:

Old October 8, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
add1. the point of connecting the pump is the pump shows my water temp, flow, and also handles all of the associated fans to the system. E.g. my 3 fans on my radiator. I agree, there is not much need to play with the power usage of the pump, however, I am constantly "playing" with my setup and its nice 'n' easy to play using the provided suite.
add2. I haven't had time to invest too much reading in the systems/software mentioned, however, I really like to be able to "optimize" according to my application with the click of a mouse. Also, I realize turning a "hard" dial is not such a painful task, however, I prefer working with numbers rather than positions of a dial. Furthermore, I am guessing you have no idea what types of controls I have with the suite. Specifically the most useful control is setting a nominal temperature of the water and a max/min on the fan speeds according to the nominal value. What does this do? When my computer is at idle the fans come on at about 60% once every 40minutes. Thats quite nice and very quiet!
add3. I totally agree with you. This is definitely a personal thing. I guess I just think its cool and also, I am sometimes "not caring" about remembering my water needs to be added about once every 3 months. (lets just say I am also not the best gardener!) Taking a quick look at my digital meter I can tell if its time to: Shutdown, remove 8 screws, remove the cap to the reservoir, and finally top off my system.
Actually, the aforementioned have software interfaces as well. I spent some time with my BigNG unit, and you can interface with both digital and analogue sensor (both air and water), and plot fully variable fan curves that are coordinated from multiple inputs. They have their own onboard memory, so once you've set everything, you can disconnect the USB hookup and it'll run entirely by itself. Or, you can leave it hooked up and use programs like HWBot to interface with system reported values. While I haven't used the Aqua software, it's probably pretty similar in a lot of ways - probably a little more user-friendly too. It's fun stuff to play with, but sometimes more complicated than it needs to be. My biggest problem with these things is usually their power-handling ability - most can't manage more than about 20-30W tops, unless you use PWM operation, which many fans don't work well with.
Quote:
Also guys, you seem to get a bit irritable... I am only here to share my experience, learn from you and also hopefully get some assistance in the future when I look to upgrade... (I never realized how big the Canadians are in modding! This forum is really great and you guys seem to have a lot of fun!)

I am also not trying to say Aqua is the best retailer. And someone also mentioned they feel Aqua is the best in Europe and it just so happens that's where I am situated hence I am happy with my choice.

Regards from Vienna
I don't believe it was anything personal, but the overall tone of your first post did come across as that of someone trying to spur interest in an uncommon product (here in N.America). Sadly, it does happen on occasion, although thankfully not too much on this forum.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Call me paranoid, but this is only thread here that has search tags applied and rated. Typical SEO optimization tactics.

I hope I'm wrong and guy will stick here First European, eh? Welcome to the forum.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 8, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That water cooling setup looks...... interesting.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:07 PM

That Euro-style alright :)

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Tags
aquacomputer , hardware , water cooling