Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25, 2009, 04:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

General rule: when ordering from the USA, only use USPS shipping as customs will be terrible. I once ordered a waterblock from P-PC for ~80USD (+ shipping) and I had to pay almost 60CAD in customs when it arrived, through UPS. The only time I ever order through UPS is with newegg.ca, as SugarJ said, they pre-clear it so UPS isn't actually dealing with customs. IIRC, UPS charges an extra fee for calculating customs, and the another extra fee for collecting the money and I think they are both dependent on how expensive the order was.
Old September 25, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

My System Specs

Well... I called the new number and someone picked up. Tried asking, but they said they were moving and didn't have time to answer it.
Old September 25, 2009, 10:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I don't know what I can say that hasn't been said in this thread already. I got my last order from Sidewinder shipped USPS Priority, and the customs declaration on the front said: computer cooling fans $20, metal fittings $30, even though the order was well over $200. Canada Post didn't charge me anything.

On the other hand, I had my HK3 from Sidewinder delivered by UPS, and I needed to pay them almost $60 in customs/brokerage when they showed up at the door... They never ended up cashing the check though, so I think I got lucky
Old September 25, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

UPS
UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada

USPS
Basically CP charges a $5 fee plus PST/GST if it's over $50. But here's the catch, half the time they don't do it for some reason. Out of about 10 orders over $50 from the states, I've only had to pay fees once. ALWAYS USPS from the states!
Old September 25, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

My System Specs

Yep. Notes taken, and points came across. Thanks guys. I'll stick with USPS when I order.
Old September 25, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ
If you ship via USPS, and the declared value is under $50, Canada Post doesn't bother collecting the taxes. There are no duties using US Postal Service. I've bought small orders from Petras, Performance and Sidewinders, and never had to pay. They tend to under declare the value so you don't get stung for taxes. My last order from Performance was $40 US, they declared it as worth $5.

If you use UPS, there are always customs clearance and taxes due. The only time I use UPS is when I buy from Newegg, because they pre-clear it, bill the taxes and charge like $2 for customs. If UPS clears then collects from you, it's like $20.
yes once you go with UPS ground your gonna get reemed @ your door for brokage fee & fuel surcharge
never use Ground service, use the air service (note they use USPS air) you pay more but when hits your door no broakage BS cos it by passes the gate @ airport

IMHO use USPS international parcel post no head eches under $150 value
Old September 26, 2009, 11:05 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have ordered from sidewinder lots shipped via USPS and never payed anything other than GST. Half the orders never payed a dime extra.
Old September 26, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes, USPS is only way to go from USA, preferably with lowered value.

I remember buying label printer for $18 and paying $30 in their stupid brokerage fees.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old September 26, 2009, 06:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
yes once you go with UPS ground your gonna get reemed @ your door for brokage fee & fuel surcharge
never use Ground service, use the air service (note they use USPS air) you pay more but when hits your door no broakage BS cos it by passes the gate @ airport

IMHO use USPS international parcel post no head eches under $150 value
Yup, that is the way to get to your door the cheapest, besides USPS.
UPS driver may tell you the COD charge is for tax's (eseasy out) as he did in my case, but when I looked at the receipt it was all UPS brokrage charges.
Old October 3, 2009, 01:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
UPS
UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada

USPS
Basically CP charges a $5 fee plus PST/GST if it's over $50. But here's the catch, half the time they don't do it for some reason. Out of about 10 orders over $50 from the states, I've only had to pay fees once. ALWAYS USPS from the states!

Nice to see that chart! I will consider express services a lot more when ordering from our neighbors from now on!