Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Loop help

Ok, so I'm going i7 and I don't want to have my CPU affecting my GPU temps. I purchased the bundle from Kyle L, which included an MCR220 and a Laing DDC1-TP(Swiftech MCP350 I believe) with an aftermarket top. (Not sure which one.)
My question is now onto the loop configurations. I am doing dual loops, and here is what confusing me.
I want to either do CPU + NB and GPU or CPU and NB + GPU. I might not even water cool the northbridge, so that's the third option, CPU and GPU. I will list out the parts I have and what I am thinking of doing for the setup, and hopefully I can get some input on what to change.

List of parts:
Pumps: DDCPX-Pro/Laing DDC1-TP(Aftermarket top)
Radiators: 2x Swiftech MCR220/Old Black Ice Xtreme 320 (Or I've been led to believe, non removable barbs)
Waterblocks: EK Supreme/D-Tek Fuzion V1, EK FC4870x2, MCW30
Tubing: Primochill 1/2" ID 3/4"OD, UV blue and clear to be able to tell the difference between loops
Reservoirs: Swiftech micro res v2/ Swiftech micro res v1

Onto my loop ideas:
CPU/NB: EK Supreme, MCW30, DDCPX-Pro, both Swiftech MCR220's, UV Blue tubing
GPU: EK FC4870x2, Laing DDC1-TP, BIX triple rad, clear tubing

After this wall of text, I'm hoping some of you guys might see something to fix/upgrade. I believe the EK Supreme would probably be my best bet for the CPU, but I may be wrong. As for pumps, I would believe the DDCPX-Pro would be the more powerful of the two, hence putting it on the EK Supreme because of its restriction.

As always, all help is greatly appreciated.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Last edited by Lpfan4ever; September 22, 2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old September 22, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Will you overclock? if yes, will you do that conservatively (under 4G) or will you push it over 4G? Same for cards.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old September 22, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Definitely overclocking. Why waste an i7 like that? As for over/under 4GHz, that's all dependent on what the chip lets me do. I'm probably going to have it at 3.8-4GHz if it allows it.
As for the card, it's at 800GPU and 900 on the memory. Remember, dual GPU card.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old September 22, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

OK. I would personaly make one loop.

FOr two loops I woudl do this (assuming internal mount):

CPU-NB on Triple rad (blowing inside)
Dual GPU on double. (blowing outside)

Best bang on a buck is Supreme LT, Supreme is more or less the same with great bling factor + multiple CPU support.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
OK. I would personaly make one loop.

FOr two loops I woudl do this (assuming internal mount):

CPU-NB on Triple rad (blowing inside)
Dual GPU on double. (blowing outside)

Best bang on a buck is Supreme LT, Supreme is more or less the same with great bling factor + multiple CPU support.
Ok, I guess I'll point everyone towards my sig. I want explain the situation I have in terms of what can go where for rads. I have the Mountain Mods Horizon, with 6 fan holes up front and 3 in the back. So, two rads have to go up front blowing in, and then one on the back blowing out. That will be dependent on which rads are going with which parts.
As for one loop/two loops, I already have enough parts for two loops, so I figure in the best interest of temperatures, I may as well do dual.
And as for the Supreme LT/ Supreme thing, I already own the Supreme, as well as have a DTek Fuzion V1 coming as part of the bundle I got. Gonna probably order the hold down plate and backplate from you Dazmode as I can't find them anywhere else. $12 of shipping is crappy on $20 of items, but that's the price of shipping small things.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old September 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

For 4.0GHz and below, any of the latest CPU blocks should give you the temperature headroom you need. Beyond that is where you really start looking for the extra degrees of cooling. If the CPU block is a Fuzion V1, be careful, as the i7 adaptor kit will install fine, but the bolts may hit the CPU and cause contact problems, and require you to grind them down or something. Technically speaking, both the Fuzion and Supreme are optimized for the Core 2 Quads, although there are posts supporting both as being better than the other. You should be fine either way.

The CPX-Pro should be a little stronger than a topped MCP350, but it'll be a little weaker than a topped MCP355 - check the pump's label when it arrives before deciding.

You can post a photo of the rad if you want, it should be fairly easy to tell what rad it is. The fact that has non-removable barbs makes me think it's a last-generation Black Ice, which really need some fan power before they start to perform - in fact, at lower fan speeds, I think I'd expect a double Swiftech to do better than it. So yeah, I'd put that on the GPU loop, where temps probably won't be as critical. And double-check the non-removeable barb size - some of them were 3/8" ID, which would give you problems with your parts list.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Wall of text
Heh, for the sake of keeping the posts more readable.
I already have everything in my sig running in the C2Q system. I realize though that the GPU temps get 4-5C hotter when I've got good load on the CPU. I am just thinking once I get the i7 system in there, it's going to be even more of an effect on the GPU temps.
I think I'm just going to go with the Supreme for personal preference. Barbs have a good amount of space between then and let my compression fittings fit nicely.
A little thing that came to mind, I'm getting 4 Yate Loons with the MCR220, so I'll be putting those in push/pull on one double and then be doing push/pull with my Zalman ZM-F3's on the triple.
And here's a picture of the old radiator. I put it up a while ago but nobody could give a definitive answer.

Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old September 22, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

He-he, with extra explanation, dual 220's looks better on CPU.

Another alternative is still make one loop with two serial pumps, although I'm not sure how it will behave with two different pumps. You also can consider copper top for supreme, I didn't tried it myself, but I won't be surprised if it will match or even outperform Heatkiller.

Which motherboard will u use?
Old September 22, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, looks like a Black Ice Pro III to me. They came either with fixed barbs, or with G1/4 threads. If you double up the fans in push-pull, it'll definitely thank you.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
He-he, with extra explanation, dual 220's looks better on CPU.

Another alternative is still make one loop with two serial pumps, although I'm not sure how it will behave with two different pumps. You also can consider copper top for supreme, I didn't tried it myself, but I won't be surprised if it will match or even outperform Heatkiller.

Which motherboard will u use?
I'll be ordering the Gigabyte X58 UD3R tonight, as well as some GSkill Trident 2000MHz RAM if I can't find any on RFD or here by the end of tonight.
And, my issue is not so much with the pump power, it's the CPU temperature affecting the GPU temps. I don't think it'll be horrible, but since I've got relatively low performance rads, I want to use them to their full potential to keep everything nice and cool.
I have also been eyeing that copper top, but I'm not sure if I really want to spend the money on it.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used