Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2009, 10:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
thank daz ( sorry if i was a little touche but the knowledge base here is great )
been trying to find 100% E.G to run some test anyone know where to get it trying to find out what toxicity levels are ( what percentage will kill everything )
I'm with you on this issue being out there for a while now!
Hence like you I would really like to come up with some concrete information. Working in the Petrochemical industry has taught me a lot about water treatment on various equipment, but it has also showed me how complex the subject can be as well!
And I'm not condescending when I talk about speaking to the experts, we have a few people on site that have their degree's in water treatment. So heck might as well pick their brains !

Most 100% E.G. sold will contain additives so other than a lab supplier ( or directly from the plant, there is one just down the road from us) I'm not sure where one could buy it?

Sounds like Feser figures we should use a 2.5% solution, but Daze I wonder if they add any additives such as corrosion inhibitors like they do in car Antifreeze?
Old October 5, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Sounds like Feser figures we should use a 2.5% solution, but Daze I wonder if they add any additives such as corrosion inhibitors like they do in car Antifreeze?
Yes Feser base has both anti-corrosive and biocid properties. What in it exactly is a trade secret. All i know it is somehow similar to what is used for Nuclear Plant's water treatment in Germany, so there is some scientific background to it.

Feser coolant is essentially 3 components: Feser Base, Bi-Distilled Water and UV Dye in certain proportion. UV dye property works for about 6-10 months, then you need to add some more. You change entire thing ones a year.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 5, 2009, 11:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

E.G is toxic, period. To what level depends entirelly on the person's general health and sensitivity. It is one thing I would not be playing with in a cooling loop in my own Opinion.
After all, all the dog poisonings in Toronto were trace amounts of the stuff if you want a perspective.
An alternitive (Which Cool-It systems uses) is Proplyne Glycol which according to the chem charts is a G.R.A.S substance (Generally Recognized As Safe).
In my own personal Opinion on the subject, unless you plan on using a TEC with some sub-ambient temps, or having your Computer Run outside in the winter, using an Anti-Freeze for just its Biocide properties is pointless. Water has one of the best Thermal Transfer rates of Liquid substances that are not Exotic, the more you add to it, the more you lose those properties. To be honest, I would use Distilled water, with a touch of aquarium Biocide, or a Silver Coil and call it a day.

As for the Substance you see in your lines getting back onto topic, that is more than likely the Dyes Breaking down as most dyes in water (espically UV) are not Homogenous and therefore don't mix properly.

My thoughts,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 5, 2009, 11:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
Yes Feser base has both anti-corrosive and biocid properties. What in it exactly is a trade secret. All i know it is somehow similar to what is used for Nuclear Plant's water treatment in Germany, so there is some scientific background to it.

Feser coolant is essentially 3 components: Feser Base, Bi-Distilled Water and UV Dye in certain proportion. UV dye property works for about 6-10 months, then you need to add some more. You change entire thing ones a year.
Anything used for that Kind of Treatment would have to have an assoicated MSDS, so if you really wanted to know , request one from them. Any Product be it ORDM or household has to have one of those if it is legally sold in Canada.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com