Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 3, 2009, 06:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
I run Feser One for 8 months, its absolutely crystal clean. Are u sure that is algae, not something from your radiator or other junk that were in the loop? Anything else in the loop that may react with existing coolant, like PT Nuke?
Daze, I've noted on a couple of occasions that you mention PT-Nuke being added to a loop may cause problems. Do you know of any problems that it actually caused?

I'd have to dig out my books but I don't believe Ethylene Glycol is a good biocide in of itself. Quite often several compounds are added to it in order to make it to give it biocide properties.

I ran Glycol/Water with PT-Nuke for 18 months and my system was clean as can be. However I do flush each of my new parts with 80c demin water for 30 min.

This whole issue of water treatment for our cooling loops has too many variables and no testing for us to come to any concrete solutions. Lot's of hypothesis out there but until they are tested...
Old October 3, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ethylene Glycol = Ethylene glycol is commonly used as a preservative for specimens in schools, frequently during dissection. It is said to be safer than formaldehyde, but the safety is questionable
[source] Ethylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am pretty sure nothing can grow in it or at least nothing is supposed to be able to
Old October 3, 2009, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

+1 on E.G. - this is biocid.

The reactive part is usually UV addictives, that may react with more things, then they do not.... therefore better to flash loop, when changing color.

I believe PT-Nuke has some phosphorus component.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 4, 2009, 05:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post

I believe PT-Nuke has some phosphorus component.
really cause that's a bad idea glad i don't use pt nuke
Old October 4, 2009, 09:01 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
Ethylene Glycol = Ethylene glycol is commonly used as a preservative for specimens in schools, frequently during dissection. It is said to be safer than formaldehyde, but the safety is questionable
[source] Ethylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am pretty sure nothing can grow in it or at least nothing is supposed to be able to
Well if Wikipedia says 100% Ethylene Glycol is a biocide then it must be true :rtfm:

We don't use 100%. Properties of chemicals change as concentrations of the various constituents change, that's part of the problem in determining what the real problem is when we have water problems in our loops.

I'll check with some experts on the subject and get back to the forum. Heck if it is a good biocide at 2.5% in solution then GREAT I'm all game.

PT-Nuke is good old Copper Sulphate a very old tried and true biocide used specifically for killing algae at low concentrations. We used it on the farm, put it in the dug out during the summer to prevent algae from growing.
Old October 4, 2009, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark View Post
Well if Wikipedia says 100% Ethylene Glycol is a biocide then it must be true :rtfm:

We don't use 100%. Properties of chemicals change as concentrations of the various constituents change, that's part of the problem in determining what the real problem is when we have water problems in our loops.

I'll check with some experts on the subject and get back to the forum. Heck if it is a good biocide at 2.5% in solution then GREAT I'm all game.

PT-Nuke is good old Copper Sulphate a very old tried and true biocide used specifically for killing algae at low concentrations. We used it on the farm, put it in the dug out during the summer to prevent algae from growing.
no kidding way to point out what we all know thanks ( when you get back from asking your experts ) let as little people know thank and wiki is wrong sometimes wow omg
someone could call any chemistry department I would but i am in orillia and don't trust them ( there dummies ) but my point is to find out what percentage of E.G is toxic to all living things

Last edited by gingerbee; October 4, 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old October 4, 2009, 10:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
no kidding way to point out what we all know thanks ( when you get back from asking your experts ) let as little people know thank and wiki is wrong sometimes wow omg
someone could call any chemistry department I would but i am in orillia and don't trust them ( there dummies ) but my point is to find out what percentage of E.G is toxic to all living things
Touchy ego you have their !
If it was so obvious why did you post 100% glycol is a good preservative? What does that have to do with a dilute solution, algae growth and water cooling loops?
Unlike you I'm interested in finding solutions to our water cooling problems. I'm willing to admit I don't know everything, hence checking with subject matter experts is usually a good way to get facts straight.
Old October 4, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

According to TFC that how much you need to be worry free, somebody need work out a math here :)

HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 4, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't say i new what was what hence why i posted the chemical make up of E.G ( because preservative stop the growth of life forms like fungi and molds water down or not i am just not sure what percentage it has to be) no ego problem hear just this has been beat to death the whole E.G thing in cooling loops
and i posted the wiki link for anyone who might what to know what E.G is a lot of people here don't ( younger kids and the such )
Old October 4, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thank daz ( sorry if i was a little touche but the knowledge base here is great )
been trying to find 100% E.G to run some test anyone know where to get it trying to find out what toxicity levels are ( what percentage will kill everything )

Last edited by gingerbee; October 4, 2009 at 11:41 AM.