Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2009, 07:06 AM
Rookie

Default First time water cooling, need a little help picking parts.

While I have read alot about water cooling before choosing to go this route, I still have a few questions regarding which parts to get.

First of all let me list what I want to do with this loop. I would like to cool my i7 920, and my EVGA X58 3X SLI motherboard, possibly the mosfets on it aswell. While I don't want to cool my video cards at this time, It might be a possibility in the future.

Some of the parts i have picked out are:

Feser One X-360 TFC Xchanger Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator G1/4
NCIX.com - Buy Feser One X-360 TFC Xchanger Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator G1/4 - 4260119641020 In Canada.

Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19862&vpn=MCP655&manufacture=Swiftec h

Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT Black 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (10 Feet)
NCIX.com - Buy Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT Black 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (10 Feet) - PFLEXP10-34-BK In Canada.

Bitspower Black Freezer EIX58NS - for EVGA X58 SLI
Bitspower Black Freezer EIX58NS - for EVGA X58 SLI

HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366 LT
HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366 LT

EK Waterblocks EK-Multioption RES 250 rev.2
EK Waterblocks EK-Multioption RES 250 rev.2

I am not quite sure which fans or coolant to get. I might also pick up a few fill ports to mount for filling/draining my system.

As for fittings, I was going to go try to keep the all black look and pick up some
Bitspower Black Sparkle 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing
Bitspower Black Sparkle 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing

And probably just some metal barbs for the rad fittings.

All of this is going to go into my new Corsair Obsidian 800D case. And once I get everything I need I should be posting a build log when I get back from my vacation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by sascwatch; September 22, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice parts. The only thing I'd say is to make sure you've got a spot for that EK250 res. It's bigger than you'd think. I've got one, and ended up getting a replacement tube to make it into a 150 length.

Fans, cheap - Yate Loons from NCIX. Uncheap - Scythe S-Flex. Stick with distilled water for your loop, as that Primochill has an anti-microbial built into the tubing.

As for that Feser rad, dazmode.com has them on for 141.99 right now.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:26 AM
Rookie

price matched one from Feser One X-360 TFC Xchanger Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator G1/4 - DirectCanada

for $139.50, pretty nice price I thought.

As for the size of the rez, i think i should be fine. Guna toss it in a Corsair Obsidian 800d.

was thinking about NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech Hydrx Water Additive Coolant 2 oz Bottle - HYDRX2OZ In Canada. for my coolant and mix it with water 1L pre bottle.

thanks for the input.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That's a good price on the rad.

And I had my res in a Cosmos S, and it was a tight squeeze. That's a full size case too.
Old September 22, 2009, 09:37 AM
Rookie

hmm, I guess I'll have to measure out the case first before ordering a rez.

Probably wont be ordering the last of my loop until the first week of next month, already have the case, tubing, pump, and rad ordered.

Still need to order some barbs/fittings cpu block, motherboard block, fans and the res. Think I will be ordering what I can from Canadian vendors, and the rest from Sidewinder Computers - Supplier of High Quality PC Modding and Cooling parts
Old September 22, 2009, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

On the Rad, get it from Dazmode.. although he's roughly $2 more expensive, he's giving free shipping on it.. so you'll save there.

Check Dazmode on fittings too, I would prefer Bitspower myself, but Feser fittings are pretty good too.. Also has the EK res options.. Actually I think Daz is offering free shipping on orders over some $$.. but I could be wrong.. Though he did mention to me yesterday, he's putting this free shipping promo on selected feser rads.. He's a nice guy, wouldn't disappoint..

quick edit: Most parts you want, including the Heatkiller block.. daz has it too.. :) and he's canadian, so you might save on shipping. PM Dazmode and talk to him first if you want, I've ordered twice from him, and he's been pleasure to deal with.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old September 22, 2009, 10:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
On the Rad, get it from Dazmode.. although he's roughly $2 more expensive, he's giving free shipping on it.. so you'll save there.

Check Dazmode on fittings too, I would prefer Bitspower myself, but Feser fittings are pretty good too.. Also has the EK res options.. Actually I think Daz is offering free shipping on orders over some $$.. but I could be wrong.. Though he did mention to me yesterday, he's putting this free shipping promo on selected feser rads.. He's a nice guy, wouldn't disappoint..

quick edit: Most parts you want, including the Heatkiller block.. daz has it too.. :) and he's canadian, so you might save on shipping. PM Dazmode and talk to him first if you want, I've ordered twice from him, and he's been pleasure to deal with.
+1. I've ordered from Daz twice now as well, a great experience both times.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old September 22, 2009, 01:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post

Yea!! Support our fellow Canuk in his endeavor to supply our community with an alternative to out of country purhcase's !!!!!

John
Old September 22, 2009, 01:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sascwatch View Post
hmm, I guess I'll have to measure out the case first before ordering a rez.

Probably wont be ordering the last of my loop until the first week of next month, already have the case, tubing, pump, and rad ordered.

Still need to order some barbs/fittings cpu block, motherboard block, fans and the res. Think I will be ordering what I can from Canadian vendors, and the rest from Sidewinder Computers - Supplier of High Quality PC Modding and Cooling parts
I have not received my Obsidian yet and am patiently (ok not so patiently) waiting for NCIX to get some in stock.
Anyway I've done a good bit of reading about it and have the manual (I can send it to you if you want). If you install a full size board like the EVGA you will have 110mm from the top of the case to the edge of the mobo.
I'm going with a couple MCR320's, yea I know old school :) But look at the data, the Swifites still perform admirably for their age. And should handle the heat load just fine as I currently use a 220 rad (1200rpm fans)and after running Prime for an hour on a 4.2 ghz 1.38v i7 920 yields a water temp of around 32c. But I do have to remove the front grills/filters in order to maintain that temp.

John
Old September 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

You know the Feser rads are twice as thick as the Swiftech ones, they do provide excellent cooling, but there's nothing wrong with an MCR320, it performs lot better than other rads out there... It really is a very nice rad..

This is how I look at it, mounting a rad inside the case and have the $$ to spend, go with feser, thick rads, bulky to mount outside.. Mounting outside the case, get a swiftech, those are much lighter and easier to mount.

But really those Germans really know how to make proper stuff, Feser is an example, superb quality and well built.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution