Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2009, 06:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

Dancing_Banana Cooling cpu and a GTX 275 off a boreas

Ok guys can i cool a GTX 275 xfx with a koolance WB with a boreas and if so can i get 1/4 x 1/4 fittings to fit the Block ?

Coolit says i can cool both of these pups with out a problem one (actually they said 2 GTX 275 and the cpu no problem)

Now next question is can i get 1/4 x 1/4 barbs and 1/4 tubeing???
Old September 18, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

You can buy 1/4" tubing directly from Coolit I believe.

As for fittings, try this

Old September 18, 2009, 07:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The Boreas is a sealed unit, and i wonder how you would add the liquid to fill the loop once the 275 block is added. As for G1/4 1/4" dia. tubing and barbs, Swiftech has 1/4" barbs with their blocks that no one uses and Koolance may sell 1/4 tubing.

Or you could send the whole unit + 275 block to CoolIt, and for a fee they'll do it...
Old September 18, 2009, 07:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

I talked with Jon from Coolit :)
He said there is a fill port on the pump or i could change the pump out for a DD (wich i got from you John) or a swiftech wich is on the way .

He also informed me i could just add distilled water to whats already in the sytem :)
and gave me instructions on how to fill the added lines:)

Now should i go this route or just use the Bores on the Xeon 3110 chip and just run a single loop on the XFX GTX 275 card?
Old September 18, 2009, 07:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
The Boreas is a sealed unit, and i wonder how you would add the liquid to fill the loop once the 275 block is added. As for G1/4 1/4" dia. tubing and barbs, Swiftech has 1/4" barbs with their blocks that no one uses and Koolance may sell 1/4 tubing.

Or you could send the whole unit + 275 block to CoolIt, and for a fee they'll do it...
this is the email reply from Jon at Coolit :

You are welcome.

By upgrade I imagine you mean modify. We can modify the Boreas for you but you will have to pay the cost of shipping to and from our head office in Calgary and it costs $62.50 USD per half for our shop to do the work for you. In short I do not think it will be worth it for you. If you did want to modify the unit I can sell you most of the parts you would need to add to your loop. Our pump has a 2.2 l/min flow rate giving the coolant enough time to be chilled by the TECs, so as long as your swiftech pump is a lowflow pump it should work fine. You would have to top up your unit with coolant after installing the new water blocks, but yes the Boreas can chill two GTX 275s and a CPU. I appreciate the positive feedback.

Below is our top/fill up procedure:

In order to begin the fill process plug your unit into your PSU and confirm that the unit is off. Take off the fill cap that is on your pump; if you have a new style pump you may need to use a small hex key to push out the pin that is connecting the cap to the pump. Turn on your unit and wait for the pump to empty itself of coolant. Fill the pump up with distilled water or our coolant. Turn on your unit and wait for the pump to empty itself. Turn off your unit. Fill the pump up with distilled water or coolant. Turn on your unit and wait for the pump to empty itself; the more coolant that is in the machine the fuller the pump will remain after turning on the unit. Do this until the coolant is at the rim of your pumpís fill port. After you have accomplished this lightly tap and shake the unit in order to release any air pockets that could be trapped inside. All the air you release will come out of the pumpís fill port. You will not be able fill the unit perfectly full nor get all the air out of the unit. Once the unit is Ďfullí the pump will make Ďlessí of a vibration sound; this is a good indication that your job is well done.
Old September 18, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

I never knew there was a fillport on the pump... I would have modded it if I knew.

But I would recommend that you split the flow so that the cpu and gpu are cooled in parallel as opposed to series. That way the warmer water from the cpu doesn't impact the cooling of the gpu as much.

Old September 18, 2009, 07:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Then definitely go for the Boreas all-out... For the tubing, heck you could use the stuff from Home Hardware, and for the 4 barbs start a WTB thread! If you're lucky, members should give you those for free. No one uses 1/4 barbs.
Old September 18, 2009, 07:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

hmmm any pics of this setup?

I think you mean leave the cpu as one loop and make a second loop for the gpu?
kinda get it in my head kinda lol
Old September 18, 2009, 07:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Then definitely go for the Boreas all-out... For the tubing, heck you could use the stuff from Home Hardware, and for the 4 barbs start a WTB thread! If you're lucky, members should give you those for free. No one uses 1/4 barbs.
Thats a great idea John gonna do that nopw on the barbs :)
4 should do it i think:)
Old September 18, 2009, 07:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

start at the Boreas, and have a 1/4 Y-fitting to create two runs: 1 for the CPU, one for the 275. Then join again with a second Y-fitting and back to the Boreas.