Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2009, 10:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ah, now i understand. So this part is a stand in pump + Active cooler? It is compatible with a WC setup loop?
Old September 24, 2009, 05:49 PM
Top Prospect

I found with my Q9550 that a radiator caused more issues then it is worth. Since I live in Calgary and it is drier here I can run my Boreas about 5-8 degrees cooler then ambient without the issue of condensation forming. Generally I can keep my Q9550 below 50 degress @ full linpack load, fluid temps not exceeding 22C (Ambient of about 25-28C in this heat wave) without the issue of condensation forming for at least 36-48 hours. The TEC's get slightly damp to the touch, but nothing beyond that.

Also, if you need something more powerful then a Bores, but not ready for Phasde, look into All Liquid Cooled Boreas Cascade - CoolIT and it will give you an idea of what can be done for less then $1500 (In most cases). Keep in mind you can get a decent phase change cooler for less then $1000 though.
Old September 24, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

or vapochill it up. pricey
Old September 24, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hope I'm not hijacking too badly here, but what kind of issues did you have with the radiator- filling?, fittings?, leaks?
Old September 24, 2009, 07:16 PM
Top Prospect

The issues I had where higher temps. Idle it was increasing temps near 10C, and a few degrees at load. I was debating building a bypass, but then ended up just running 2 loops, 1 with the Boreas, and 1 with a radiator for 2 GPU's. Testing was done with just CPU + NB on radiator and boreas, then again with the Boreas and I found the radiator to just increase temps as the TEC's have a certain Delta, and could not get cold.

I do have a few pointers about doing a high flow Boreas, first is to be sure to use a pump top for a MCP 355 or 655, this is so you can change the fittings. I currently use 3/8" fittings for CPU and NB, then a reducer for 3/8"=1/4" (Also a T for filling) then I have a 1/4" intake on my pump, with a 3/8" outlet. I am using a MCP 355 for my Boreas loop right now.

My next goal when I get another job, will be running something similiar to that cascade liquid cooled Boreas, but submerging in Mineral oil (Or other fluid, still looking) to help prevent condensation around the CPU and NB.