Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Passive water cooling Q&A

Hey, I've got some questions with regards to passive water cooling.

1. How much rad area do I need to cool a x2 550 BE w/ unlocked cores and a mild overclock?

2. what if I add a single gpu to the loop (4870/4890/260/275/285)?

3. what if I add a chipset?

Pretty much, what I'm going for is a functional rig that can handle hours of gaming (no folding) and be whisper quiet.

Old September 16, 2009, 09:46 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ack-black.html
Old September 16, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Honest, you need LOTS of area. Squeetard's setup is a pretty textbook example of that much. Even in my own experience, just the heat dump from three pumps (~50W, I figure) was enough to noticeably warm up three Thermochill PA120.3's without their fans running.

On the plus side, if you're only doing a mild overclock, you should have plenty of headroom to spare, temperature-wise, even if you wind up with coolant temperatures 20-30 degrees above ambient. With a couple radiators, you should probably be able to handle your load, although make sure you load test for a long time - passive takes a long time to get up to full temp under load.

You might want to give at least a little consideration towards just running ultra-low speed fans. Even in the quietest environments, fans running at 500-600rpm are pretty darn near impossible to near, unless you've got your ears right up against them, and a lot of fans will spin around those speeds when wired up to 5V.

I suspect that the rules change a little too - the rads that do best with low speed fans may not necessarily do the best passively. I have to wonder if denser fin setups (like the Black Ice GTX series, or automotive rads) might not do better. Hard to say, to be honest. But I certainly wouldn't want to splurge on premium rads in this case.
Old September 17, 2009, 06:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Alright, I'll consider some quiet fans. Any good ones out there with a good price/performance ratio?

Old September 17, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i like back in black a lot.jmo
Old September 17, 2009, 08:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

NCIX.com - Buy Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120MM Cooling Fan 1200RPM 20.1DBA 49.0CFM FDB - SFF21E In Canada.

I used three of those in my HTPC and it was dead silent. The S-Flex series is great on rad's and has a very good noise/airflow ratio. You may also want to look into getting a fan controller and possibly faster fans, then you can set the fans to the highest possible airflow with an acceptable noise level for yourself.

For true passive, you need a lot of surface area. Even a small amount of forced airflow will drop the temperatures a huge amount.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gentle Typhoons or the SFF12E's (Or D's). Or for the cheap-o route some YL D12SL's would work.