LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2009, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hell i use a zip tie and 80mm zalman works great looks like crap ha ha
Old September 20, 2009, 05:12 PM
HaDeS

Sorry for the long post... i included an email from a water cooling supplier.

I really appreciate all the input. I'll have a go at both to see... Braineater may beable to help me setup some probes so I can test temps to get a good idea whether water cooling really helps or is just a waste of time, money, and effort. At which time I can certainly jump on the "don't water cool ram bandwagon"

I have enough fans laying around I can get an overall performance meter and I'm sure there's pleanty of review sites out there that say just that. I suppose it's all in how one goes about doing the water cooling and from the posts I've read so far you guys have already saved me a ton of future grief.

I had no idea that mixing copper water coolers with aluminium would cause corrosion... I know when those 2 metals touch it's bad and shouldn't be done. SO thanks for that tip!! From that I'll certainly try a different loop for the ram independant of the cpu and NB chipset cooler (still needs to be purchased)

I got an email regarding my ram and a few ideas from a guy he suggested swapping out the 1/8 barbs to 1/4 which can make everything work easier. I could even have a water exchanger built out of copper fairly easy to even out the water pressure or just find a 3/8 or 1/2 to 2x 1/4 Y-adapter. I could buy most of the stuff i needed at any plumbing outfit.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/stbareandad.html
Like the C36, C37, and C35.
Some of these should help you get the right size tubing on it. But to swap the fittings themselves, you need to make sure they are G (BSPP) threads first.
Best Regards
Gary Stofer
Sidewinder Computer Systems
email: sales@sidewindercomputers.com
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com
Tel - +1 (317) 888-0949

Dean Ireland wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone there can help me get my water cooling project off the ground. Currently I use 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tubing and connectors.

I have just purchased the following ram and for all my looking around the internet I cannot find adaptors to connect these things.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX25081(ME).aspx

If i have to swap out the barbs to 1/4 I would if it is even possible... I'm a rookie in this department but any info or help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dean Ireland
Old September 20, 2009, 05:13 PM
HaDeS

One question though... can you mix stainless steel with aluminium? Or should I trying using plastics instead?

The loop would look something like this for example?

Last edited by HaDeS; September 20, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old September 20, 2009, 05:19 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

He... Gary's great. I've dealt with so many times, it's not even funny.

SS and Alu? Nope, if there is no protective barrier. But since the barbs (right?) are chrome plated, so it should not be a problem.
Old September 20, 2009, 05:29 PM
HaDeS

yeh barbs and possibly a water exchanger of some kind... i know it's more work. Perhaps a Y adapter setup is the way to go to keep it easy.
Old September 20, 2009, 05:33 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

As long as the SS is protected, you're fine.
Old September 20, 2009, 05:42 PM
HaDeS

cool thanks dude... always a great help around here. :)
Old September 20, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hey Dean, one suggestion get advice from Gary @ sidewinder (great guy) and post here.. Those guys am Mem Ex I'm sorry but most of them are nut cases, that's to say the least.. they're currently even in the process of clearing all their water cooling stuff.. I used to shop their a lot (well still do) and most of the guys believe that getting a good rig is to pic the most expensive parts (or latest) parts... they don't even know stuff about overclocking, leave water cooling..

Anyhow good luck getting a proper answer from them..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old September 20, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Still not ideal, that diagram. Remember that when you double the internal diameter of tubing, you quadruple the cross-sectional area. Conversely, cutting the diameter in half cuts the C.S.A. to one-quarter of it's original. It'll work, but it still won't be ideal.

FYI, the "mixing" of aluminum and other metals refers to them being in contact with the same body of water, not necessarily in direct contact with each other. If you research "Galvanic Corrosion", you can get the sciency mumbo-jumbo behind it, but the simplified approach is to either completely avoid using aluminum entirely, or be very generous with an anti-corrosive (i.e. antifreeze).
Old September 20, 2009, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Ok so I've found a post on a random forum that mixing aluminium with copper is bad. The ram i'm getting is aluminium and the cpu cooler is copper. I also need to mix a northbridge waterblock into the equation if anyone has some suggestions. Needs to be 3/8 ID 1/2 OD

thanks.
Yup, VERY bad. Stay away unless you want your water loop full of salts in short order.
Best to just make sure everything is copper, nickel or stainless. I've lived the experience of mixing metals in a loop. You basically form a small battery and through the process of electrolysis you break down the metal in your system forming salts.
It took my original mixed metal system about 3 weeks before I saw crap floating around in the water !!
Reports of these RAM sinks leaking as well, honestly you don't need them, your not going to be OCing your RAM to 2.5 volts are you ? If not leave out the water cooled RAM.
I may be new to this forum but have built a few systems over the last few years.

BTW glad to have found this forum for us Canucks !!

John