Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2009, 01:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default what do i use to protect against condensation

for the next comp im building i plan on running the CPU(i5/i7) below room temp so i would like to know what exactly i need to get to do this, it will only be cooled by a custom TEC setup so no phase and sub -40c temps. i was looking online and people were using modeling clay around the socket but is there some sort of gel that i should but in the socket or will i be fine.
Old September 5, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Artist Eraser.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 5, 2009, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok i shall go to an art store then.
Old September 5, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

it is called kneaded rubber eraser for the most part. if you insulate the socket well with that, leaving no gaps, small pockets, or any opportunity for air to get into or around the socket, you shouldn't need any dielectric grease in the actual socket. more protection is always better than less though when it comes to running sub-ambient. another thing though is that sub-ambient doesn't mean condensation, dew point does. if it is dry air, you might be able to run well below ambient without any condensation showing up. of course, if the weather changes and dew point raises, then you will get condensation...so insulation is likely going to be a step you want to take.