Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Who woulda thought (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/2252-who-woulda-thought.html)

cdn_Madrach August 12, 2007 06:04 PM

Who woulda thought

If you are a liquid cooling enthusiast check this out.....suprising results:shok:

Liquid Cooling Comparison Part 2 - Unconventional Coolants | Tom's Hardware

sswilson August 12, 2007 06:51 PM

Do not try this at home folks..... :)

They blew it right off the bat by using standard water to mix with the anti-freeze, and the main issue with the beer wouldn't be corrosion, it'd only take a week before your hoses were full of fungus clogging up the works.... :)

enaberif August 12, 2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 16977)
Do not try this at home folks..... :)

They blew it right off the bat by using standard water to mix with the anti-freeze, and the main issue with the beer wouldn't be corrosion, it'd only take a week before your hoses were full of fungus clogging up the works.... :)

HAHA I was thinking to myself something didn't seem right about using tap water... now it makes sense!

sswilson August 12, 2007 06:57 PM

Yeah two reasons for distilled water, both related to the impurities in it.

The main one is corrosion, and the second surprisingly is conductivity. Pure distilled water is apparently a lot less likely to cause a full short for a small leak, it's the impurities that conduct. That's why distilled water cooling should be changed every year or so. It picks up impurities from the block and pump over time.

The beer... well, not sure how many folks in Canada haven't seen the gunk in the bottom of a beer bottle after it's been in the case "almost empty" for a couple of weeks..... :)

enaberif August 12, 2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 16980)
Yeah two reasons for distilled water, both related to the impurities in it.

The main one is corrosion, and the second surprisingly is conductivity. Pure distilled water is apparently a lot less likely to cause a full short for a small leak, it's the impurities that conduct. That's why distilled water cooling should be changed every year or so. It picks up impurities from the block and pump over time.

The beer... well, not sure how many folks in Canada haven't seen the gunk in the bottom of a beer bottle after it's been in the case "almost empty" for a couple of weeks..... :)

Even pure water in a rubber hose will start to show gunk and mold!

Patriote August 12, 2007 08:30 PM

I'll type in exactly what i typed in onto XS. That is dumb... lol Beer as coolant ? Are you kidding me ? Thermaltake watercooling ? Whatever...lol

cdn_Madrach August 12, 2007 10:01 PM

Oops shoulda added "DO NOT TRY THIS:doh:" lol. Kinda forgot that someone might actually try it:shok: Definately not a good idea...and using tap water to dilute the antifreeze.... not much better.

Misoprostol August 13, 2007 03:21 PM

this was an incredibly stupid experiment... Oh well, it's Tom's...