Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Coolit Boreas 12 en route- eek (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/22145-coolit-boreas-12-en-route-eek.html)

Babrbarossa August 21, 2009 12:13 PM

Coolit Boreas 12 en route- eek

I was a little drunk the other night and 'accidentally' ordered a Coolit Boreas 12 which I have ogled many times in the past, but unfortunately have never put much though into the pratical implementation of such a cooler. I know coolit customizes TJ07 cases to house these coolers, but I was hoping that I could just squeeze the cooler into the bottom compartment of the case.

Does anyone know if this placement can be done?

More questions for the initiated:
1) I plan on hooking my top mounted radiatir into the loop for additional cooling so I can add a video card or two to the loop- any forseeable issues?

2)Can I swap out the Coolit CPU block for my own?

3)Can I cool CPU plus SLI GPUs with this baby?

4)Is WWF wrestling real?

Please feel free to answer any or all queries :ph34r:

Cowboy August 21, 2009 12:53 PM

1. yes it can and has been done in the past. People claim idle temps go up, whilst load temps go down. It should work well so long as you have a decent pump.

2. Yes, however you would have to re-fill the system yourself. I do not know if coolit uses all copper or aluminum in its boreas so you'd have to figure it out if you wanted to avoid galvanic corrosion. Oh and by taking apart the system your warranty becomes null and void.

3. With a rated heat capacity of ~500w, I think so... depending on the GPU's. Keep in mind that the freezone elite was rated for 300 or so and only managed about 200w during testing. If you added a rad to the loop, I'm positive it would give better load temps than just water cooling by itself. Is it worth the cost? That's up to you.

4. No. Not even close.

Pelt August 21, 2009 01:09 PM

If your worried about the coolant they use you could order a bottle from their site. I applaud your ambitious project. Coolit makes a solid cooler and I love seeing the mods brave folks like you do to take their ideas to the next level. Also the guys at coolit are pretty cool if you called them and told them what you wanted to do they would mod the unit for you and I'm pretty sure since they do the work your warranty would still be valid.

Cowboy August 21, 2009 01:13 PM

The coolant is, by their own admission, 50-50 water with anti-freeze (eth-glycol based). So no big deal there.

Be sure to factor in labour costs... it is NOT cheap to ask someone to do mods for you. Some asian guy wanted to charge me 30 bucks to solder 4 points. FU, I said. And I did it myself =)

Pelt August 21, 2009 01:26 PM

Good point on the labour I'm sure someone with Babrarossa's skill can handle the mod work himself but I was thinking from purely a warranty standpoint. The Boreas isn't cheap (as your well aware Cowboy) and adding an extra let's say 100 dollars to mod it with a 2 year warranty doesn't sound to bad. I'd just hate to see someone spend hard earned cash then end up bricking the unit during modification.

But that's just my opinion and I'm sure Babrarossa has already wieghed the benifits. I can't wait to see the finished product. I really liked your Lucite case Cowboy and I'm very curious to see how the OP intends to implement his plan.

These mods always make me feel like I just stepped out of a cold shower, very small, lol. I thought I was bad ass when I drilled a new vent in my case. But you guys take enthsiast computing to the next level.

Babrbarossa August 21, 2009 02:36 PM

Thanks guys, my reasonable self says "follow the warranty specs" but my true self says "cut, snip, chomp"- I think I'll wire this into my WC loop. While I'm taking out my good 360mm rad, I really don't think that temps will suffer with this thing stuck in there. I'm RMAing one of my 260s and in the mean time I wil be running a 285 until the next gen DX11 cards come out, then I'll be splurging for one high end, or a pair of med-high end cards depending on what the offerings are.

hightest August 21, 2009 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
u cood if u wanted to modify the middle tray fit the boreas in the bottum.i was thinkin of that if i get anutther boreas.

1=yes

2= same answer as cowboy

3=yes i've read reveiws of folks runnin a single boread 2 the cpu /daul vga's with good results.

but u can also get a ddb cooler frum coolit and run 1 card off of it and frum the boreas run 1 cpu and v card,im also thinkin of that .

the ddb cooler is a daul drive bay cooler and there are reviews of it runnin 2 4870x2 with very good results

dont mind my attemt at piant tryin to show the sizes i never used it for that b4

i'm sure the boreas is rated at 600+ watts of coolin pwer

Babrbarossa August 21, 2009 02:42 PM

The reason I really prefer to put it in the bottom is so that I don't need to modify the side panels to allow ventilation- I already have vents in the bottom on each side, but from your diagram, it would seem that the cooler takes up the full 8" and fitting it in the bottom might be tricky.

Here is the system I'm working with:
XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Official Silverstone TJ07 watercooled case Gallery

hightest August 21, 2009 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well if you wanted to cut out that middle tray up to the motherboard tray im sure it wood fit.bcause the tj07 is opin on that side up 2 the 5.25 trays

wow nice vantage score

Babrbarossa August 21, 2009 03:04 PM

Thanks- I think that might be the plan- Does the cooler require a full 8" of clearance, or can I take the mounting bracket off and squeak it in under 7"?