RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 :: $169.99 CAD
COOLING: ??????????????????? :: $?????
DVD DRIVE: liteon super allwrite drive :: OWNED
CASE: CoolerMaster HAF 932 :: OWNED
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz:: $329.99 CAD
GPU: 3x XFX GTX275 :: $749.97 CAD
PSU: Coolermaster 1000W Real Power :: $184.68 CAD
HD: 1TB WD GREEN X2 :: OWNED

i have a Thermaltake Bigwater SE +Motorsports Radiator & P500 WATER PUMP but ppl keep telling it won't do for overclocking so i would like some ideas on other setups or parts i could use for cpu cooling

thanks kauf

Old August 18, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well for a good WC setup you'll want to buy a good custom setup. You have an awesome case for this FYI! You'll get some more informative help from other people but basically you'll need
Double or triple radiator (Swiftech MCR320/220) cheap and effective.
A pump, I have a swiftech one, seems to get the job done. There are others out there people will recommend.
CPU block - Some good ones out there, like the Heatkiller or EK.
Resevoir - I'm useless for this one :P
Tubing/fittings - To connect it all, use any colour you want and whatever size fittings. I recommend 1/2" fittings with 7/16 tubing, nice tight fit.
Old August 19, 2009, 05:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I run swiftech 655 pump on a swiftech tripple rad and a gtz block. Even on days like yesterday and the day before ambient was 32c max load was 72 core
Old August 19, 2009, 05:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll 2nd JMCD on this one.

You can build an entire Swiftech setup that will be 'decent' at cooling. Sure, you can shave a few more degrees off by getting a heatkiller, etc...but to get into WC, the most cost effective way IMO is with Swiftech.
Depending on what you want to do with your loop (CPU only? Chipset/Mosfets? GPU?) will determine your rad size, and pump size. You said you were just doing your CPU; If you dont plan on upgrading to a larger loop down the way then even a 120 rad will cut it for what you're doing.

Pump, you can go with a 355 or a 655. The 655 is just more powerful. The 355 has alot of options of getting mod's to make built in reservoirs.
A good res is the Swiftech Micro Rev2, its about 40 bucks, which is alot cheaper then some of the other res's out there. Or you could grab a Radiator with a built in one (I dont recommend it, but it will save you money)
CPU block you can go with just about anything. There is lots out on the market. Pick a pricepoint and stick to it. You can range anywhere from a 60 buck GTZ all the way up to the hundred(s) for a Heatkiller Copper block.

In the end, all your choices are going to come down to how much $$$ you want to spend. I think my loop set me back about $200-250 by the time all was said and done.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 19, 2009, 09:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

Since that case accepts a triple radiator so well, I'd suggest you just get one of those which would let you use really low speed fans with a CPU only loop and still give you a cheap way to add some more power if you decide to add your GPUs. The 655 is a great pump, as well as the 355. If you wanted you could get the 355 and NCIX.com - Buy XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top for DDC or MCP350 or MCP355 Water Cooling Pump G1/4 - XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir In Canada.. which would gives you a great pump and reservoir with very good flow-rates. The Swiftech GTZ is an extremely good waterblock and is generally a bit cheaper than some of the other ones. For fans I'd suggest getting the Zalman ZM-F3s as they are great fans and come with an adapter to run them at a lower speed. You could also look at Yate-Loon D12SL-12s, Scythe S-Flex (more expensive) or Noctua P12s (more expensive). These are probably the best fans out there for 120mm and 25mm thick.
Old August 19, 2009, 12:12 PM
Rookie

If i made a swiftech setup with 3x120mm rad and the 655 pump think i could cool the gpu's to?

Old August 19, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes you can i cool my 4870 in the same loop
Old August 19, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman37 View Post
If i made a swiftech setup with 3x120mm rad and the 655 pump think i could cool the gpu's to?
Charlie must be out of town, or I'm sure he would be in this thread showing you his loop of 2xGPU+CPU setup, inside a P182 case .

Humor aside, yes, a 320 is MORE then enough to cool a CPU/GPU loop. You can add in NB/SB, mosfets and more, if you wished.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 19, 2009, 08:22 PM
Top Prospect

well guys i would say if u really want to do it up right i say go phase change
Old October 19, 2009, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

You can cool entire setup with triple rad and good fans, but that would be expensive (3 GPUs blocks). You can start with basics: low restrictive CPU cooling supported by strong pump. Cards can be added as phase two.
HTPC Build: Final Video