Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2009, 03:11 PM
Top Prospect

Default Most Powerful Cooling Solution?

So, over the past month or so, I have been looking into different cooling solutions. I looked at Phase change systems, but I guess that there are no current units that can really keep up with the heat from a current quad core. What I am currently looking at is dual Boreas's that have liquid cooled TEC's.

I am mostly wondering if anybody had any other suggestions? My budget is in the $1500-$1750 range just for cooling my current Q9550 (And later a 32 nm I7).

I am not looking at spending the time building a custom phase change unit just yet, and would prefer a product that is either all in one (Like the boreas) or moddable for even more performance. I was debating on a Vapochill LS, but the total heat dissipation of 280 Watts even modded is just not enough (Considering 1 Boreas can do about 500+ Watts)

So any suggestions or recomendations?
Old August 14, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Heat dissipation isn't the same thing as working temperature. Personally, I'd expect that modded Vapochill to post lower working temps than the Boreas, at least until the thermal output exceeded its capacity to handle. Hell, my own watercooling system could technically be rated for well over 1000W, but it's probably not going to post temps better than the Boreas. The advantage of the Boreas is that there's no danger of condensation (unless you override the controller settings), and the higher thermal capacity means you can add other components to the loop.
Old August 14, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall86 View Post
So, over the past month or so, I have been looking into different cooling solutions. I looked at Phase change systems, but I guess that there are no current units that can really keep up with the heat from a current quad core. What I am currently looking at is dual Boreas's that have liquid cooled TEC's.

I am mostly wondering if anybody had any other suggestions? My budget is in the $1500-$1750 range just for cooling my current Q9550 (And later a 32 nm I7).

I am not looking at spending the time building a custom phase change unit just yet, and would prefer a product that is either all in one (Like the boreas) or moddable for even more performance. I was debating on a Vapochill LS, but the total heat dissipation of 280 Watts even modded is just not enough (Considering 1 Boreas can do about 500+ Watts)

So any suggestions or recomendations?
How about Moving onto i7 ?
Having a much faster system by default > Overclocking Q9550

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
MVP

Well i'de go with the daul boreas,i've been thinking of adding anuther boreas tec unite to my set up ,to cool my v-card / cards if i decide to go with daul video cards or just waite for the new 5000 ati series/or nvidia 300 series. But either way i'm going to cool my vga set up with a coolit product.

They allso have the DDB cooler 4 v cards,and it has had very good results coolin 2 4870x2.

You can buy a complete boreas unite then just the tec unite,and run them frum 1 m-tec unite side a/b.

with a daul boreas u wood have 1200+ watts of coolin pwer

But u can contact Jon at coolit.

They have very great service,when buying,or when u need service.

Last edited by hightest; August 14, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old August 14, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lots of rads and a Peltier. I remember someone's mod (called Rogue, it was a SFF NZXT case in red) got -30C or so with dual 360 rads.
Old August 15, 2009, 08:04 PM
Top Prospect

I do plan on going I7, but when they drop to 32 nm.

I think I will end up going with Dual Boreas's (Or buy 2 more and go tri Boreas's)

I have already spoken with Jon @ CoolIT and got a quote from him, so I will be looking into it more.

I have heard of Vapochill LS's dying from I7's as it just can not keep up with it.
Old August 15, 2009, 08:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm fairly sure with that amount of money you could purchase a custom built phase unit, though you'd probably have to wait a while.

However may I ask why? The only reason to spend $1500 on cooling an old Core 2 Quad is if you're after some benchmark world records, in which case you should just do a couple LN2 runs IMO.
Old August 15, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

^^ Mans speaks the truth.. You could also get a pretty good Vapochill unit, which cools pretty well..

But if you're not going really really extreme clocking, you could spend that much on $600 water cooling parts and get pretty good cooling.. Something in the lines of a Heatkiller 3.0 block, Feser Quad radiator or even there Monsta rad, which is a beast..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 16, 2009, 01:15 AM
Top Prospect

This is what I am thinking of grabbing then:

Heatkiller 3
Some Full cover GPU Blocks (I still like the look of my current GPU blocks though)
Another Boreas
After some research, I might grab a Classified Hydro and an I7 920, depending on when the 32 nm I7's will be out
12 GB of "decent" RAM
Might grab a Pump top for my MCP655

Only issue is I will not be able to use the HK 3 just yet until I switch MOBO's (Damn Rampage Extreme)
I will run the New Boreas and my old Boreas in series, or I might do something like: Boreas>Pump>CPU>NB>Boreas>GPU>GPU>Boreas.
I am also debating insulating my lines and mobo etc... and cranking the Boreas's up to 100% all the time.

Any suggestions/comments if I go this route? Any ill effects to insulating a mobo to be ran 24/7 at these temps?
Old August 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall86 View Post
Any suggestions/comments if I go this route? Any ill effects to insulating a mobo to be ran 24/7 at these temps?
I think there could be if you're covering up all the VRMs and what not. However if you keep those open, or stick heatsinks on them to poke through the insulation, it would probably be fine.

Also it may be cheaper to buy a normal Classified and then buy your own full cover waterblock that may be better even.