Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Swiftech APOGEE Drive (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/2188-swiftech-apogee-drive.html)

JD August 7, 2007 08:27 PM

Swiftech APOGEE Drive

http://www.swiftech.com/assets/image...IVE-SERIES.gif
Quote:

In the world of water-cooling, the Apogee™ CPU Waterblocks and MCP350 pumps have become legends, proving themselves to be among the best available to the enthusiast and professional users alike.
Enter the patent pending Apogee™ Drive 350 self-powered series of waterblocks which consolidate both technologies into one convenient package capable of handling today and tomorrow's most extreme processors on the market.

Link: Swiftech

Looks like an interesting product. Maybe HWC could do a review?

Misoprostol August 8, 2007 11:55 PM

One problem with doing a review of this unit is that it's quite difficult to compare it to anything... Our standard test bed uses a D5 pump, and 1/2" tubing because these are standard equipment for water coolers...

3/8 tubing does not negatively impact performance dramatically, but I'm not about to switch my test bed over to something that hardly anyone uses, nor am I going to switch out the pump that I use... The long and short of it is that I could do a review, and I'm *sure* Swiftech would send me one, but I don't know if there's anything I could say about it in a review that I couldn't already tell you.

It's going to perform great. The aesthetics are somewhat lacking. It's compact, and a great solution for beginners, but not too appealing to those looking for absolutely the best performance.

sswilson August 9, 2007 05:17 AM

Do we know if NCIX is going to carry these?

JD August 9, 2007 08:09 AM

Well I'd still really like a review if possible. I know it wouldn't be a "fair" review since it's using smaller tubing and a different pump, but I'd just like to see how it's temps compared to the other blocks that have been reviewed here.

I think I'd be a lot easier to use in my Antec 900 where space is kind of limited. I only really want a CPU loop as everything else runs pretty cool in my case. Having something like this would keep all the tubing around the CPU area only, not disrupting my airflow elsewhere.

But if you can't/don't want to do a review, then I guess I'll just have to wait for somebody else to do so.

Eldonko August 9, 2007 08:48 AM

I think it's a good idea for convenience, but a regular block is likely going to be more effective.

Misoprostol August 9, 2007 01:33 PM

They're up on the NCIX site right now for 99.95CDN. SKU# is 25711.

In response to jdrom17 though: It's not that I don't want to or can't review it. I can review it all night and all day, but the problem is that any performance results I generate are meaningless because as soon as you change more than one variable, you cannot compare results.

I'd be changing 4 variable: tubing size, tubing length, pump type, CPU block.

Sure I could come up with great performance numbers, or lousy performance numbers, but they would not mean anything because you can't compare it to the other blocks we have in our charts.

What it would come down to would be me telling you that it's an excellent performer (which Gabe has assured me it is. I have never been steered wrong by him), and it's very convenient. Just from a picture of it, you can tell it's convenient.

personally I don't think it's going to make a dramatic difference in how easy it is to water cool the Nine Hundred though, because the challenge in that case is not the pump, it's the radiator...

JD August 9, 2007 01:50 PM

Well I would mount the rad externally using the radbox. So that's not really an issue. Well by Christmas, there should be a review somewhere. I just want to know how it roughly performs compared to air cooling. I'm sure there's better water setups out there but nearly not as easy to install.

JD August 13, 2007 05:51 PM

Found a review of the whole kit which includes this block and a 120mm rad.

VR-Zone : Technology Beats - Swiftech H20-120 Compact Water-Cooling Kit

Performs pretty decent, especially on an overlocked quad-core.

sswilson August 13, 2007 07:14 PM

Call me underwelmed with the idle results, but those load results certainly look fine.

Apollo4g August 13, 2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 17045)
Found a review of the whole kit which includes this block and a 120mm rad.

VR-Zone : Technology Beats - Swiftech H20-120 Compact Water-Cooling Kit

Performs pretty decent, especially on an overlocked quad-core.

Yes they do, but a little too fine if you know what i mean! :thumb:
I think ill wait for a forum review before even thinking of adding this to my cart.