Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2009, 01:26 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Unhappy Coolit Systems Domino ALC LEAKING OH NOES!

My Domino has a leak and worst yet it leaked all over my beloved 3870 and cause a short well I think it caused a short because the card is toast for now I'm cleaning it up with some isopropyl 99% she should pull through and be better by Monday I hope. This liquid stuff is non-conductive right? it's green and oily has a petrol smell to it too, not at all what I expected.

I've sent them a phone message and an email it's got a 2 year warranty so getting a new one from them shouldn't be a problem. I really hope my video card pulls through I need it to hold out until new card get's here.

It's the weekend and I can't play video games...boo hooo.....but I suppose I could go outside? do people still do that go outside? Alright here it goes I'm going out doors, hope I don't get stung be a bee.
Attached Images

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Last edited by Pelt; August 9, 2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added photo and spelling
Old August 9, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thats unfortunate Pelt given any thought of going back to Air cooling?
Old August 9, 2009, 02:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well I don't know, I figure since coolit has a 2 year warranty on the Domino I'm in line to get this one replaced, and I do love 45 C temps on my 9950 under load. also it is pretty good in the low noise department.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old August 9, 2009, 02:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Where was it actually leaking from? (Might be something for other members who have the same unit to check).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 9, 2009, 02:38 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Look like it's leaking from the hose where it connects to the rad. The hose in question is the one that is closest to the mother board when installed.

Old August 10, 2009, 02:13 PM
Top Prospect

Try calling their sales department @ 1-866-621-COOL and ask to speak with John Stanley, he is the one I have gotten a few quotes from and he also handles RMA's etc....
Old August 10, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If that card dies then I would be P'd off.
Old August 10, 2009, 03:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well I won't find out until my new unit arrives if the video card suffered any permanent damage, but yeah I will be pretty upset if it doesn't boot.

But to update the service side of things, I had a hard time getting a hold of John by phone I left a message but he apparently has been suffering some technical difficulties in the telecommunications world according to a post at coolit forums. I submitted a RMA request using the automated system on their site but after 24hours recieved no further instructions. So I decided to send John Stanley an email detailing the problem and I got a response in less than an hour after the email was sent. I've redacted the companies Fedex account number from the email, but I'll post his reply here so you will all know the quality of service you recieve from Coolit:

[I apologize for the ordeal you have gone through. Although it is rare, our product sometimes leak because of shipping and handling. Due to your circumstance I have cross shipped you a Domino and it will be shipped Fedex 2 day instead of Fedex ground. The unit will be shipped tomorrow and upon shipment you will be sent an email with the tracking information. Please use our Fedex ground account number -------- to send your defective unit back. Also, Please provide me with a tracking number once you have shipped your defective unit to our head office in Calgary AB. Also, Please follow the instructions on the RMA that should be in your inbox. Thank you.

Regards,
Jon Stanley
RMA Coordinator
& Tech Support/Sales]

The folks at Coolit seem to realize that it's the customers that drive demand for thier product and if you provide junk service in the IT world you won't be around long.
Bad news travels fast on the net hopefully this bit of great service reaches all the way out to The End of the Internet

Old August 10, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Coolit indeed has great RMA service

Did the plastic barb on the radiator crack? I think I've read this on Bit-tech and their review of the ALC, where they stated the fragility of these barbs.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 10, 2009, 05:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It might be the barb it really is hard to tell. The spot where it hooks into the radiator is obscured by a large plastic shroud, or maybe a better term would be collar, but your theory has merit. The leak does appear on close inspection to be coming from the exact spot where the hose meets the fitting so a broken barb could explain it. I'll see if I can get some closer photos it will be tough because I'm not much of a photographer so the close ups always come out blurry.