Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2009, 12:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question First time watercooling, setup OK?

Looking for some confirmation/opinions before I click the submit payment button.

What I'll be cooling:
Q9450 @ 3.0 stock Vcore and 1.2 FSB
EVGA 750i FTW NB & SB (mosfet on air for now)
EVGA GTX260 Core 216 65nm 675/1455/1160 SLI
in a CM690 case, rad will be top mounted

Heres what I think my setup will be (really just looking for feedback about the rad/fans/pump/tubing, I already have the blocks)
CPU EK Supreme LT
NB EK-NB 780i
SB EK-SB 790i
GPU EK-FC280
Rad PA120.3
Fans 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon - D1225C12B3AP-15 - 1850rpm
3x Yate Loon D12BL-12-UB -1200RPM
Pump DDCPX-PRO

Tube Primochill LRT 7/16ID 5/8OD
Fittings BP compression/45s/barbs/T fill

The pump and fans will be run off a Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme Fan Controller.

From what I can figure the CPU (if I go to 3600) and the GPUs put out just over 300W but I haven't been able to find what teh NB/SB would add. Would 100W for the NB/SB be realistic?

OK, here come all my noob questions:

1. I was considering the MCR320 but if I want to be able to transfer the rad to an X58i7 later would the PA120.3 be the better investment?
2. Would making a 30mm shroud result in any signifcant gains?
3. Plan is to have the YL fans at the top of the case (giving off a wash of blue light) pushing ari thru teh rad and the AP15s on top of the rad pulling air. Is it OK to use dissimilar fans in push/pull? or should I just go for 6xAP15s and forgo the case lighting for now?
4. Has anyone else got the DDCPX-PRO in a similar system? From Martins review and flow estimators it looks like the PRO will flow the same as a MCP655 and be quieter and dump less heat into the system?
5. Is the bend radius of 1/2ID 3/4OD tube that much better or would 7/16 be OK with 45s?
6. Is sequence of Pump/Rad/CPU/NB/SB/GPU/GPU/T line/Pump OK or would it be better to have the pump after the rad?
7. I'm planning on using the stock portion of the heatsink for the mosfets with an 80mm fan. Do you have to retain additional intake fans for the case if the rad fans will be top mounted blowing out thru the rad?
8. Is it fairly simple to disassemble the blocks to looks for debris (not the GPU, it has an acetal top) and is this required?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later but that's it for now
Old July 31, 2009, 01:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

No way the NB/SB adds anywhere near 100W. Not sure what Nvidia's chipsets are rated for, but definitely less than 100W.

1. MCR320 will be just fine. A PA120.3 might give slight gains, but not a huge difference, especially not for the cost. Also, unless you get one of the newer models, the PA fan spacing won't line up to the top of the case.
2. A shroud might give slight gains, but definitely no miracles. Personally, I wouldn't bother.
3. You can do that through a radiator, since it's restrictive enough that both will still be able to contribute. Not sure how much difference the 1200rpm will make when paired with the 1850rpm fans, but they certainly won't hurt.
4. The CPX-Pro should do just fine in that system, and it wouldn't surprise me if it gave you similar results to the MCP655 in that kind of a system.
5. 7/16 will bend slightly better and take up less room, just make sure any compression fittings are properly matched - no room for fudging there.
6. No measureable difference in that case, although filling and bleeding will probably be a little easier if the T-line is directly before the pump.
7. If the radiator fans are exhausting from the case, make sure you have several other fans blowing in, to make sure that the rad has a steady supply of fresh air. Otherwise, those exhaust fans are left trying to pull air in through gaps and cracks in the case, which is far less efficient.
8. Usually the blocks come apart easily, and if you can't see inside, I'd strongly recommend checking them out. It's not uncommon to find little bits of seal stuck in the pins, courtesy of the manufacturing process.
Old August 1, 2009, 01:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the feedback MpG

I've decided to go with the PA120.3, just for the future cooling capacity for an X58/i7 setup, from what I could find the MCR320 is only comparable to a PA120.2, still pondering the shroud

For the 7/16 tubing, yep the compression fitting on order are specific to the ID/OD of the tube. I'll take your advise and go T line/Pump/Rad/etc and retain case inlet fans.

When you are reassembling the blocks do you just tighten the bolts to snug and then a 1/4 turn?
Old August 1, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TALON View Post
Thanks for the feedback MpG

I've decided to go with the PA120.3, just for the future cooling capacity for an X58/i7 setup, from what I could find the MCR320 is only comparable to a PA120.2, still pondering the shroud
If you're referring to the tests run by Ranker some time ago, there have been some newer tests suggesting that the difference is actually much closer than many PA120.3 buyers would like to believe. The PA-series of radiators are definitely less restrictive to water flow, but even the worst of today's radiators is still nowhere near as restrictive as any waterblock, so that's not a critical point. If you go with the PA, allot yourself lots of time (and water) beforehand for flushing it out - they're practically legendary for coating loops with white flux powder.
Quote:
When you are reassembling the blocks do you just tighten the bolts to snug and then a 1/4 turn?
More or less, yes. Maybe 1/2 a turn? In nutshell, you need to compress the o-ring/seal, but you don't want to strip threads or crack any acrylic.