Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2007, 10:58 AM
Misoprostol

Default Discussion Thread for Koolance CPU-330 review

Well that was disappointing. I was expecting results that were at least reasonably competitive. Anyone else running this block figure I got a defective one?
Old August 2, 2007, 11:13 AM

My System Specs

ahahaha, what can i say besides it is Koolance. I never expected anything better from it.

D-Tek fuzion ftl. In your review you said the fuzion costs $70? I only paid $46 for mine from directcanada.
Old August 2, 2007, 11:20 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Well, you can't say you don't get honest reviews here at HWC.....
Old August 2, 2007, 11:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh.....

So, could this possibly re-open the mirror finish vrs more surface area argument?

I'm really surprised that it did that poorly....

On another topic that came up during the review.....

Would tweaking the individual mounting screws improve overall temps, or is it more for getting the cores closely matched?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 2, 2007, 11:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hey well at least it is the coolest looking block! Nice review. :)
Old August 2, 2007, 01:20 PM
JayDee

Great job Misoprostol

Well as I just finished my first H20 build about 12 hours ago I can safely say I'm glad I didn't get one... wait... I could hook it up to a gold necklace and become a rapper! Sooo pretty

lol Misoprostol everytime you say "Air" I could swear you are actually saying "It burnses my precious!"

I'm glad I got a Fuzion :)
Old August 2, 2007, 01:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
lol Misoprostol everytime you say "Air" I could swear you are actually saying "It burnses my precious!"
You have no idea.

I have never heard of someone working so hard as Miso did to try to get this CPU block to perform properly. What we see here is an amazing amount of time and effort by an individual who was hell-bent on getting good temps out of this block. Unfortunately for Miso's sanity and Koolance's marketing, it was not meant to be.

Last edited by SKYMTL; August 2, 2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old August 2, 2007, 02:34 PM
Misoprostol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
ahahaha, what can i say besides it is Koolance. I never expected anything better from it.

D-Tek fuzion ftl. In your review you said the fuzion costs $70? I only paid $46 for mine from directcanada.
Honestly, I expected better based on the reviews I read prior to writing my own. Other reviews of this block show it competing well with other current high end offerings.

Once I saw the internals, I thought it would at least be competitive with an APOGEE vanilla, which has been tested briefly in my test bed to outperform the Magicool CPU block, but this was not to be.
Old August 2, 2007, 02:36 PM
Misoprostol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh.....

So, could this possibly re-open the mirror finish vrs more surface area argument?

I'm really surprised that it did that poorly....

On another topic that came up during the review.....

Would tweaking the individual mounting screws improve overall temps, or is it more for getting the cores closely matched?
There is no question of whether mirror finish is worth having. Swiftech has been saying forever that a "flat" finish (which is not to say matte) is far more important than a mirror finish. I definitely agree with them.

Tweaking the individual mounting screws helps me determine if this block (like the bowed APOGEE GT/GTX) benefits from HARD clamping to get optimal temps. Both of those blocks like to be held down with a lot of force, whereas this one doesn't seem to care that much. The FuZion is also not that fussy with mounting pressure.
Old August 2, 2007, 02:38 PM
Misoprostol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
Great job Misoprostol

Well as I just finished my first H20 build about 12 hours ago I can safely say I'm glad I didn't get one... wait... I could hook it up to a gold necklace and become a rapper! Sooo pretty

I'm glad I got a Fuzion :)
It really is a gorgeous block. If I was doing out a system for aesthetics only, I may actually consider using it. Mind you, I'm not ;)

And yeah, can you feel the hate DRIPPING off that word?

To be perfectly honest, my rig is going through some changes right now, and it is actually running 100% on air... I'm polishing the internals of my TJ07, drilling a few holes for some simple mods, and sleeving all of my bare wires, so my water cooling could be down for as much as 3 weeks, during which a small part of my soul will wither and die.