Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Discussion Thread for Koolance CPU-330 review (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/2130-discussion-thread-koolance-cpu-330-review.html)

Misoprostol August 2, 2007 11:58 AM

Discussion Thread for Koolance CPU-330 review

Well that was disappointing. I was expecting results that were at least reasonably competitive. Anyone else running this block figure I got a defective one?

lowfat August 2, 2007 12:13 PM

ahahaha, what can i say besides it is Koolance. I never expected anything better from it.

D-Tek fuzion ftl. In your review you said the fuzion costs $70? I only paid $46 for mine from directcanada.

SKYMTL August 2, 2007 12:20 PM

Well, you can't say you don't get honest reviews here at HWC..... :bananafunky:

sswilson August 2, 2007 12:31 PM

Heh.....

So, could this possibly re-open the mirror finish vrs more surface area argument?

I'm really surprised that it did that poorly....

On another topic that came up during the review.....

Would tweaking the individual mounting screws improve overall temps, or is it more for getting the cores closely matched?

Eldonko August 2, 2007 12:53 PM

Hey well at least it is the coolest looking block! Nice review. :)

JayDee August 2, 2007 02:20 PM

Great job Misoprostol :thumb:

Well as I just finished my first H20 build about 12 hours ago I can safely say I'm glad I didn't get one... wait... I could hook it up to a gold necklace and become a rapper! Sooo pretty :haha:

lol Misoprostol everytime you say "Air" I could swear you are actually saying "It burnses my precious!" :ph34r:

I'm glad I got a Fuzion :)

SKYMTL August 2, 2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 15994)
lol Misoprostol everytime you say "Air" I could swear you are actually saying "It burnses my precious!" :ph34r:

You have no idea. :dots:

I have never heard of someone working so hard as Miso did to try to get this CPU block to perform properly. What we see here is an amazing amount of time and effort by an individual who was hell-bent on getting good temps out of this block. Unfortunately for Miso's sanity and Koolance's marketing, it was not meant to be.

Misoprostol August 2, 2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 15977)
ahahaha, what can i say besides it is Koolance. I never expected anything better from it.

D-Tek fuzion ftl. In your review you said the fuzion costs $70? I only paid $46 for mine from directcanada.

Honestly, I expected better based on the reviews I read prior to writing my own. Other reviews of this block show it competing well with other current high end offerings.

Once I saw the internals, I thought it would at least be competitive with an APOGEE vanilla, which has been tested briefly in my test bed to outperform the Magicool CPU block, but this was not to be.

Misoprostol August 2, 2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 15979)
Heh.....

So, could this possibly re-open the mirror finish vrs more surface area argument?

I'm really surprised that it did that poorly....

On another topic that came up during the review.....

Would tweaking the individual mounting screws improve overall temps, or is it more for getting the cores closely matched?

There is no question of whether mirror finish is worth having. Swiftech has been saying forever that a "flat" finish (which is not to say matte) is far more important than a mirror finish. I definitely agree with them.

Tweaking the individual mounting screws helps me determine if this block (like the bowed APOGEE GT/GTX) benefits from HARD clamping to get optimal temps. Both of those blocks like to be held down with a lot of force, whereas this one doesn't seem to care that much. The FuZion is also not that fussy with mounting pressure.

Misoprostol August 2, 2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 15994)
Great job Misoprostol :thumb:

Well as I just finished my first H20 build about 12 hours ago I can safely say I'm glad I didn't get one... wait... I could hook it up to a gold necklace and become a rapper! Sooo pretty :haha:

I'm glad I got a Fuzion :)

It really is a gorgeous block. If I was doing out a system for aesthetics only, I may actually consider using it. Mind you, I'm not ;)

And yeah, can you feel the hate DRIPPING off that word?

To be perfectly honest, my rig is going through some changes right now, and it is actually running 100% on air... I'm polishing the internals of my TJ07, drilling a few holes for some simple mods, and sleeving all of my bare wires, so my water cooling could be down for as much as 3 weeks, during which a small part of my soul will wither and die.