Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2007, 02:36 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It's not a matter of friends, but the truth. Also check out the specs, regarding the flow. It may be that.
Old August 4, 2007, 09:48 AM

My System Specs

Where did you get most of this flak? [H]? That seems where all the extreme Koolance fanboys are (no disrespect to [H] members).

There was a Koolance radiator discussion @ XS.org, and it also became into a full blown war.
Old August 4, 2007, 01:25 PM
Misoprostol

Wow.... I can't get over some of the guys over there. I'm not going to respond over there because some of that garbage doesn't even merit a response... If they wanted a test changed to be in line with what they want to see, they could simply ask me. I'm a very accessible person.

Hell, if someone local wanted to come play with my test bed so they could see numbers first hand, I'd be up for that. These people are really starting to irk me with their complaints...

3-5 mounts is all fine and good if you don't know how to mount a CPU block

Either way, I'm re-running the tests today on ALL BLOCKS with a Thermochill radiator
Old August 4, 2007, 01:48 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I will be the first to say that Miso's testing methodology is VERY sound. Since all blocks were tested on the same radiator, they would all have the same bottleneck if the rad was holding things back.

People tend not to read and skip right to the performance numbers. If these same people would take the time to read, they would see that the numbers are high for ALL of the blocks because the CPU's voltage is extremely high for the overclock Miso is running. He does this to demonstrate extreme circumstances.

We also have to remember that there will always be people who believe their own hyperbole over hard numbers. I have told Miso not to listen to those types of posters but he is determined to do whatever it takes to prove that his numbers were correct (which they were).

Good on him.

Shame on the naysayers.
Old August 4, 2007, 10:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Long time lurker here, but I have to say, very nicely done review. It's beyond me why there aren't more formal comparisons like this, especially with all the arguing that goes on.

Not necessary, IMO, but the fact that you're redoing the tests is impressive in its own right. I've always been under the impression that temp delta's tended to be quite linear (i.e. A temperature change in the fluid is almost directly reflected in the component being cooled). It'll be interesting to see if the temperature improvements with the TC rad are directly proportional across the board.

Incidentally, looking at Koolance's website and their data, it looks as though their earlier 300/305 series CPU blocks actually have a better C/W at any given flow rate than the 330. They're also considerably more restrictive, but its probably nothing that a MCP655 couldn't overcome. Which might actually make the 330 a step backwards in a high performance loop?

Also, looking at the 330, there sure is a lot of space for the water to flow through. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say the path of least resistance for the water flow would be well above the pins, where it couldn't do as much good. Not sure how that would work in practice, though.
Old April 19, 2008, 01:47 PM
Rookie

Red face

Hello guys, I am new to this forum and am just really surprised @ the poor numbers that this block turned out. While browsing, however, I found the problem.

I think it would be proper to try the testing of this block again, and with Koolance fittings because the testing conditions were not totally clean for this block.

...I have a D-TEK FuZion myself, but I just don't like seeing unfair results.
Misoprostol, you put together a great and thorough review, but the numbers are just a little questionable as after the below is considered. Do you mind giving the block another try?

Thank You,
RRS

The diagram of the trouble is below (next post):

Last edited by RussianRedScorpion; April 19, 2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old April 19, 2008, 01:48 PM
Rookie

Here is the pic
Old April 19, 2008, 02:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

We haven't seen a lot of Miso lately, he's been pretty busy. I've sent him a PM WRT your post(s) to see if he has any comment. (I doubt he'd be able to do the full test again, but he might be convinced to do a quick run with different barbs if he's still got the original kooldance block).

We have no axes to grind here at HWC, so fair test results are what it's all about. Miso put in a hell of a lot of time trying to get the most accurate (and unbiased) results possible out of this test.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 19, 2008, 02:57 PM
Rookie

Sorry for stirring things up...
Old April 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Au contraire, don't be sorry. You added a valid comment. But I can't give my opinion on it since I don't have neither block nor barbs.