Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2007, 01:14 AM
JayDee

Default GPU temp is 55 degrees on H20 - something I did wrong?

I just finihed my H20 build and my GPU temp is 55 degrees idle so I thought I'd ask for thoughts as to what might be wrong. CPU temp is 26 degrees idle. Using ATItool and speedfan for readings and both are the same.

I have the D-Tek GFX block and swiftech ramsinks on a 8800GTS 320mb.

Loop = pump > rad > reservoir > CPU > GPU > pump

First I might have misapplied the TIM or not installed it properly but I'd like to check out other potential problems before I take it apart (will be a major PITA to remove it)

Does the fact that the GPU is vertical make it more dificult to get all the air out of it? I haven't actually put the case on it's side but I will if needed to get the air out. I did a 24 hour leak test with the pump running off of another PC's power and with the actual H20 rig powerd off. Perhaps there is air still in there?

Any ideas?
Old August 2, 2007, 01:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

JayDee, it could be several things... You'd have to check them out 1 by 1. It could be that you did not tightened down your GFX enough. It also could be that you mounted the block (with the TIM) wrong. Could be lots of things.

What program are you using to read GPU temps ? I use rivatuner... Oh yeah and use coretemps to read CPU temps.

Do you have a pic of the loop\system ? Maybe we could see something wrong...

BTW: Did you really looped Pump - Rad - Res ? Shit that must of been a real pain to fill the loop and to bleed. Reservoir must always be right before the pump. So that when you fill your loop, it goes directly to the pump. You run the pump for a few secs until it runs out of liquid, you re-fil etc... This will prevent your pump from running dry. Which can damage your pump.
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old August 2, 2007, 02:18 AM
JayDee

Thanks Patriote :)

I took some quick pics

Old August 2, 2007, 03:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Everything looks great to me. But oh wow, this must of been a pain to fill ? How was it ?

Might want to try to remount the GPU block.

BTW: 55c on the GPU during load or idle ?

BTW: real nice job there. I like the cable management and all. Except for those blue coolsleeves with red coolant ...:rolleyes: lol
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old August 2, 2007, 06:32 AM
JayDee

Woot!
I found the problem and GPU is 35 degrees idle now :)
There is a thermal pad that comes with the D-Tek GPU block and I actually posted here about it but it's new and I don't think anyone actually uses it. Anyways I decided to use it. When I removed the GPU from my rig (wasn't as hard as I thought it would be) everything looked good so the first thing I decided to do was remove the thermal pad. Well I had thought there was only 1 layer of covering on the thermal pad and when I went to remove it = voila another covering layer came off leaving the actual thermal pad in place. So I just put the block back on and we're off to the races :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriote View Post
Everything looks great to me. But oh wow, this must of been a pain to fill ? How was it ?
Wasn't hard at all actually. Did you notice how high up I put my reservoir? I just filled the rez till gravity wouldn't fill the loop any further the I did the power on/off thing about a dozen times and I was off to the races.
Quote:
BTW: real nice job there. I like the cable management and all.
This H20 build took me a long time because I actually did 3 little projects at once. I did a whole cable management mod because I didn't want the wiring to interfere with my loop. I also did the "Dust Box" mod. I took it slow and careful = I be newb :)
Quote:
Except for those blue coolsleeves with red coolant ...:rolleyes: lol
Sup with dat! That be PURPLE goodness in the veins dude!
Better not be dissin' the purple or I'll have my friend Barney the Dinosaur sing you his phearsome song till you bleed from the ears :p

Thanks for the help Patriote :)
Old August 2, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

ROFL Not Barney PLS!

A pleasure JayDee!
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Dell UltraSharp 24''