Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2007, 03:13 AM
Top Prospect

Default Fan controllers/temp displays

Hello fellas, Just wondering what people would suggest for a fan controller and temp display? (preferably in one unit)

I have been looking at this one http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...re=THERMALTAKE
1 Primary Raptor X 150 gig + 2 150 gig Raptors in RAID 0,
Swiftech H20-220 Ultra with a Stealth GPU water block,
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC 24" monitor,
Lian Li V2000 Plus Case slightly modded,
Steelseries Akari Laser Gaming Mouse, Razor Tarantula keyboard,
AuzenTech Prelude Sound Card,
Pioneer VSX-1016TXV receiver with Bose 301's,
AKG K240 Phones, Blue Snowflake USB Microphone.
Old July 29, 2007, 03:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How many fans do you want to control?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 29, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus Masochist View Post
Hello fellas, Just wondering what people would suggest for a fan controller and temp display? (preferably in one unit)

I have been looking at this one http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...re=THERMALTAKE
I just about bought one of these awhile back but after doing some research I found quite a few complants about the "cheap feel" of the buttons and vered away from it. Last thing I need is something that is going to break within the first couple of months.
I ended up going with a Coolermaster Cooldrive 6, and I love it, granted you lose 1 temp probe and fan controler to the hdd, it also had a high enough amp rating that I could use my tornados ( since replaced) with it, the Thermaltake could only run 1 tornado per line because of the draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 29, 2007, 02:24 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I just about bought one of these awhile back but after doing some research I found quite a few complants about the "cheap feel" of the buttons and vered away from it. Last thing I need is something that is going to break within the first couple of months.
I ended up going with a Coolermaster Cooldrive 6, and I love it, granted you lose 1 temp probe and fan controler to the hdd, it also had a high enough amp rating that I could use my tornados ( since replaced) with it, the Thermaltake could only run 1 tornado per line because of the draw.

My new case is a Lian Li V2000II, I was planning on running all my fans with it but looking again seems as I am going to need a dedicated fan controller maybe some like this with 6 pots Zalman Multi Fan Conroller ZM-MFC1 Plus Black (this controller being black aluminum would look awesome in my V2000II because it too is black aluminum) and also something like the CoolDrive 6.

And yes I too have been reading reviews that say the Thermaltake Hardcano is crap.

So Tell me a little about CoolDrive. I am curious to know from a real persons perspective.
Old July 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

So Tell me a little about CoolDrive. I am curious to know from a real persons perspective.
Well It dropped my hdd temps down but thats not really a big deal, the software is crap but install it @ least once so that you can change the "idle" display to something other than "Cooldrive6" for me it reads "Supergrover's Rig" but you can change it to a max of 32 char I believe.
The build is nice and solid and quite sharp looking, the front display is more a white than blue though, temps probes are close +/- 1-2 deg C accurate enough if you mentally compensate. The alarm though is way too low for my rig, running under a load, say playing a game there is no way I can hear clearly over my fans and game.
It's not quite as flashy as most, one of the reasons I like it, it doesn't seam to draw the eye as say something with a larger display panel but gives you what you need (temps/fan speed) @ a quick glance.
I have had it for about 2 years now and the only problem I have had is dust but the fan access cover is a snap to pull and clean so no biggy there.
Oh yeah and the labels for the temp probes disintegrated after about 1.5 years.
I would buy another in a heartbeat if I was in the market for a controller.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...

Last edited by Supergrover; July 29, 2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old July 29, 2007, 03:56 PM
Top Prospect

Right on Grove, If I am to go with that controller it would be the black one (my case is black) I am going to check out a few others as I really want to make sure that I get what I want.

Thank you very much for taking the time.
Old July 29, 2007, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Right on Grove, If I am to go with that controller it would be the black one (my case is black) I am going to check out a few others as I really want to make sure that I get what I want.

Thank you very much for taking the time.
NP I have the black BTW and have a bunch of images on disc somewhere from the install, if I can find them I will post them for you.
But definitly check around and make sure it works for you, not for the reviewer/poster.

Quote:
Old July 29, 2007, 07:29 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I have the zalman mfc-1 (not plus version) myself and i think id still prefer it to the newer mfc 1 plus for two reasons.... Switches!!! the mfc-1 has two 12v/off/5v connectors for... anything.. with ANY load rating (power is taken directly from the psu, from either the 5v rail of the 12v rail(s) ). Therefore you can control much more, much more easily with it. For example: In a previous build i used the mfc-1 in the following configuration:
Fan1 = Cpu Fan1
Fan2 = Cpu Fan2 (Thermaltake tower 112 all Cu w/ dual 92mm vantec steaths for those that were wondering)
Fan3 = System exhaust fan1
Fan4 = Unused
Switch1 = System intake fan (so it could be turned completely off for silence)
switch2 = Dual blue cold cathodes. (Cause pretty lights hurt my eyes sometimes at night)

Thats my two cents.... but i want em back (jk)
Old July 30, 2007, 12:13 PM
Top Prospect

After looking at every single fan controller out there I have come to the conclusion that I will be picking up this one Zalman Multi Fan Conroller ZM-MFC1 Plus Black in black.

The way I look at it I will need control over the many fans housed in my new V2000II and this controller has six pots to do so. Plus it has the exact finish (brushed aluminum) that my case is made like so the cosmetics of it as perfect as well.

Down the road I will pick up a case, VGA, processor temp read out drive.

As always I love reading what you dudes have to say.

Hey Grove please still post pics of your rig as I would really like to see them...

Til next time.
Old July 31, 2007, 02:00 AM
Top Prospect

Here's a pic of that fan controller in a aluminum case... Looks great, hope it controls the fans as good as it looks.

Image View | Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Multi Fan Controller - Silver - FrozenCPU.com