Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2009, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Need explanation about shroud.

A general guide is, when pulling air through the radiator, 1 hub's diameter shroud depth is sufficient. When pushing air through the radiator, 5 hub's diameter is more like it.

Fan Shrouds & Watercooling Info - Forums - OverclockingWiki.org

Really?
When pushing 5 hub's diameter?
Old July 16, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

The 5-hub idea is slightly outdated, and stems partially from when heater cores and high-powered fans were the norm for the sport. In those cases, not only did you have very dense fin arrays, there was no manufactured shroud built into the radiator like more recent designs. Furthermore, the radiator/heater cores were less likely to be the same size as the fans. So in those cases, you definitely wanted a shroud.

These days, it's not as big a deal. The radiators are properly sized for the fans, and often come with about 1cm of built-in shrouding. In fact, not too long ago, I recall some testing where excessive shrouding with push fans actually hurt performance, because it reduced the turbulence of the air hitting the radiator fins. On the other hand, higher-powered fans will often make some really weird/nasty sounds if they're spinning right up against a radiator (or a filter), so a shroud can help there.

This is a quote from Thermochill regarding their own radiators:
Quote:
Shrouded vs unshrouded exhibits minimal benefits, in the region of up to 2%. Fans in push tend to work best with a shroud to even out the airflow
Old July 17, 2009, 07:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Aaaaahh thx!

So should I go Push/pull pull/pull push/push? Push pull pull push? Push pulL pUsh pl....?
Old July 26, 2009, 10:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hey, got a question along the same line so instead of startign a new thread thought I'd ask in this one

with push/pull would there be any difference if only one side got set up with a 1" shroud (only thinking one side right now with spacing restrictions) and what side would be better to get teh shroud the push or pull side?
Old July 26, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

I suspect the push side would benefit more from the shroud, but it would be a pretty minimal difference. If the fans happen to be different speeds, shroud the faster fans.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

Fans that are <1900RPM generally do better as pull, and >1900RPM generally do better as push. The shroud should also be around 25-30mm, anything higher starts to lower the benefits. Push and pull both benefit from shrouds similarly. And Push/Pull is the best combination for multiple fans. Push/push and pull/pull (both on the same side of course) barely gives anything more than a single fan (unless they happen to be counter rotating). Thats pretty much a summary of Martin's testing done here: Radiator Fan Orientation and TFC Shroud Testing & Review
Old July 27, 2009, 06:54 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Just slap a fan on each side of the rad - push/pull config... we're talking 1-2C difference. That's what I do.
Old July 27, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Just slap a fan on each side of the rad - push/pull config... we're talking 1-2C difference. That's what I do.
1+ to that the difference is almost nothing
Old July 27, 2009, 03:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I use push/pull also, fans in the case push out the one's that came on the rad pull once I changed them around