Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Water Cooling Kit (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/19968-water-cooling-kit.html)

AmuseMe July 11, 2009 08:17 PM

Water Cooling Kit

Im not really ready to build my own set-up and such, but I would much like to get into the water-cooling level of PC cooling. I am wanting a basic kit, where everything I need comes in one kit. I was looking at the Coolit Domino A.L.C, but was wondering if I could get something better. I was also looking at the Swiftech H20-220. Let me know what you guys think/ recomend.

PS: Cooling a Q9950 - want a kit that cools better than a Coolermaster V8

JD July 11, 2009 08:39 PM

H20-220 would probably be a smarter choice. At least it can be upgraded later on without scrapping everything. Even the CPU block + pump combo can be modded into a standard DDC pump. Also the additional radiator surface should keep temperatures lower.

Dazmode July 11, 2009 09:09 PM

If you not ready for your own set up, you need to look for pre-filled products. Swiftech kit is just bunch of parts together in a box, no difference from making your own list.

AmuseMe July 11, 2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazmode (Post 221974)
If you not ready for your own set up, you need to look for pre-filled products. Swiftech kit is just bunch of parts together in a box, no difference from making your own list.

Well, when I say "I'm not ready to do my own" I'm really saying "My wallet isn't ready to make it's own".

I find the custom thing to expensive, where as these kits are generally cheaper, and I'm also not looking for the BIGGEST, BEST thing ever. Just something simple - but decent.

AmuseMe July 12, 2009 12:24 AM

Where/ How do I get distilled water? Is it the same stuff that comes out of my fridge :P

Jackquelegs July 12, 2009 03:21 AM

Local pharmacies and stores should have it

I get it from Shopper's Drug mart, and London Drugs

Dazmode July 12, 2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmuseMe (Post 222017)
Well, when I say "I'm not ready to do my own" I'm really saying "My wallet isn't ready to make it's own".

I find the custom thing to expensive, where as these kits are generally cheaper, and I'm also not looking for the BIGGEST, BEST thing ever. Just something simple - but decent.

Well, there two schools of thought. One is to get cheap stuff with more coverage, the other start step by step with good stuff (i.e. CPU block only as step one).

Swiftech is good kit, but it doesn't mean you can't assemble your own at same cost, but with better performance. EK Supreme LT cost the same as GTZ for instance, but beats it by good margin in cooling performance.

AmuseMe July 12, 2009 10:35 AM

So once this thing is hooked up, whats the best way to go about overclocking? I have some guides to "Overclock a q9950" but how do I monitor temps? OH! Is there anything, like a drive bay, that I can buy and hook up that monitors?

sswilson July 12, 2009 10:40 AM

Generally, unless it's a display that's getting the temp information from software there is no way to accurately monitor temps. Any of the available temp probes cannot be used on the cpu as they would prevent a proper mount between the block and the CPU.

Most folks use either Realtemp or Coretemp.

As far as the kits go... I'd recommend the H2O 220. I tried the single 12cm rad it and it left a lot to be desired.

JD July 12, 2009 11:11 AM

I'd take a guess and say you could scrounge up all the parts you need (or at least most) from the BST area. Just might need to order new tubing from NCIX and some fittings, but I think you could get it all here and probably for less money than the Swiftech kit.

It would take some time to sift through the posts and PM everyone though, but it could be worth it.