Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Calling all Freezone elite owners!!

Hey guys I just wanted to know your thoughts on these things.

I'm getting one within a few hours but I want to make sure that you all like it and think it does a good job of OC'ing your cpu's.

personally, I'm hoping that the elite will be enough for my phenom 2, because I really DONT want to have to buy a boreas.

Old July 10, 2009, 09:24 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

A single Freezone elite can handle TWO of my Opteron 8354s in Behemoth (and I have two loops like that). That's 8 cores total, and each CPU is 65nm w/ 115w TDP each = 250w TDP per Elite. Your single Ph2 will probably put out less than half the heat for a single elite, since it's 45nm. It's true I don't OC the processors on Behemoth, but that's because 1) they can't be on its server board and 2) I'm actually using the Elites towards the max of what it was created to do. Anything else?
Old July 10, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My phenom has a tdp of 125w so... According to some reviews I've read, when they OC'ed a 65nm q6600 (95w) to 3.8 ghz, it was putting out over 200w of heat and the freezone was barely able to cool it better than an air cooler, and the water cooling setup beat it by a huge amount.

so thats my concern.

Old July 10, 2009, 09:39 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Perhaps if you dont know how to use it... then it may perform as "bad" as an air cooler. But if you use the MTEC control software to change the fan/tec speeds as well as the desired coolant temperature, you can be a nice balance between noise and performance and still make your processor quite happy. As a quick example, Behemoths 4 cpus all idle between 20-26 degrees (26 for cpus that are getting the "warm" water from the first two) and at full load (which is rare, lol) they hit 45 for the first two and 52-54 for the back two. The only issue I have with the whole setup its that I'm making the Elites work so hard that they spin up and get a little noisy for my liking. But that's up to you to decide.
Old July 10, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Ok thanks.

I'm just hoping that the temps I get are better than what I had under water (30 idle, 48 load) sometimes higher.

Old July 12, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Just an update for those who care:

The freezone is pluggd in and doings its job really nicely. cpu idles at around 9C, haven't tried overclocking yet. Will update thread when I do.