Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Making the step to watercooling, starting easy

I've been doing some final tweaks/upgrades on my current gaming rig, and the last thing I plan on putting into it is a decent water-cooling setup. I'm not ready to drop $1500 on a custom loop, and since this is my first time doing the water thing, I want to start easy. With just a ready-to-go kit.

I'm not looking for phenomenal cooling properties, just something that can beat my CoolerMaster V8 - in both temperature decrease, and noise I will be putting it on a Q9950, and am looking to overclock atleast to 3.2GHz, more would be nice, but by no means, am I aiming for 4GHz+.

I'm mostly doing this because I am starting to get more comfortable with working hands-on with the inside of a computer. Im no technician, or engineer lol, but I enjoy the work - it's fun. Also, watercooling looks cool.

Right now, I am looking at the Coolit Domino A.L.C. They claim it is maintnence-free for 5 - 7 years, and 3DGAMEMAN Rodney Renolds says it's pretty good - and it's $100 (shipping/tax inc.) Also, I havn't read anything on leaks yet.

Right now, I'm just asking the HWC community to see if there are any other drop-in kits that are pretty good. I'm not looking to spend alot, and the cheap $100 on the Domino is nice, but if something floats my boat, Ill buy it.

Post some stuff here, links would be nice.

Thank you.
Old July 10, 2009, 06:46 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

That dude is still around? Shouldn't he have gotten put out of buisness yet for ripping off other sites? oh well... We can only hope.

For $100, you probably can't get a better watercooling setup. I enjoy Coolit products and have never had an issue with any of them. Have fun OCing!
Old July 10, 2009, 06:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Q9550 at 3.2 should be easily handled by a Dominoes ALC. It doesn't take much vcore boost from stock to get there.

The Dominoes ALC went for MUCH MUCH cheaper before at NCIX, IIRC it was 59.99. Look for those deals.!

3Dgameman reviews are informative in terms of describing what's in the box, but I wouldn't take his word on performance testing. His "good" products are mostly meh, and his "kickass" products are passable.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W