Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Just wondering why the Bitspower Fittings over the TFC ones Supergrover?
Simple I like the look more and I have heard stories of the KL o-rings leaking but mostly I like the look more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 10, 2009, 08:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Only issue I have with Koolance is that they have burned customers in the past with some low quality parts(that rust!). Other than that their fittings are fine but the threading is not deep and the o-rings are not particularly thick, just means you have to be extra careful when screwing them in.

Fans: Yates(I believe the P12 is the one you want to look for) or Scythe(S-Flex/Slipstream)
Pump: 655/355(goes by many other names). The 655 is great because it flows like MAD and can be adjusted, while with a top the 355 will perform better BUT it will be louder and is not controllable on it's own(need a fan controller or something). Either way you go I really recommend a top, it just makes it so much easier in terms of mounting/fittings.

Blocks: well that's tricky, EK has blocks, Koolance is fine too, if you can be assured the correct motherboard blocks from Koolance do it, but if you DO cool the cpu don't use the K350, it is one of the most restrictive blocks on the market. A Heatkiller or Swiftech GTZ will work a lot better imo, an EK Supreme LT is also a good option(though not the best by way of temps/etc, though very affordable).

Edit: Don't believe all the hype about Thermochill/Feser rads blindly, a Swiftech rad can handle a lot more than they are given credit for.

Last edited by ChuckleBrother; July 10, 2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old July 10, 2009, 09:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright so I think I've decided on my final set-up. You already know what my computer parts are so here's whats going into my WC set-up:

XSPC Dual 5.25 Bay reservoir - it uses two separate pumps for two separate loops

XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump Liquid Cooling Reservoir w/ Blue LED Light - Clear (DDCBAYRES) - FrozenCPU.com

2x Swiftech MCP355 pumps - one for each loop

Swiftech MCP355™ 12v Water Pump (Native 3/8") (120 GPH) - FrozenCPU.com

Feser X-Changer Triple 120mm Radiator

Feser X-Changer Triple 120mm Xtreme Performance Radiator - Thermochill Killers! - FrozenCPU.com

Bitspower Black Freezer EVGA Intel X58 N/S combo cooling block

Bitspower Black Freezer EIX58NS EVGA Intel X58 North / Southbridge Combo Block (BP-WBEIX58NS-BK) - FrozenCPU.com

Koolance GeForce GTX 275 Cooling Block

Koolance VID-NX275 GeForce 275 GTX Full Card Liquid Cooling Block - FrozenCPU.com

Swiftech Apogee GTZ i7 CPU cooling black

Swiftech Apogee™ GTZ i7 CPU Waterblock - Socket LGA 1366 - FrozenCPU.com

Tygon 3/8"ID 1/2"OD Tubing

Tygon 3/8" ID (1/2" OD) Tubing - FrozenCPU.com

Primochill Anti Kink Coils in UV Red color

PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - 1/2 OD" Tubing - UV Red - FrozenCPU.com

Bitspower G1/4 3/8"ID, 1/2"OD Compression fittings

Bitspower Ultimate G 1/4 Thread 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD Compression Fitting - FrozenCPU.com

So thats what I've got so far. My loops start at the reservoir since I can start both of them right there with my two pumps, my only problem now is to find a nice splitter fitting for 3/8" so that I can get both loops to end up in the radiator. The only nice once I could find was from Koolance for 1/4". So I'll keep looking for one from other sites. Any suggestions are appreciated though. Let me know what you think of my set-up and criticize to your hearts content!

Just try to keep it constructive criticism!

EDIT: Sorry Chucklebrother I posted this before I read your post. So thanks for your input! Looks like I got the pump right eh? But I'll definitely look into those fans. Forgot to go shopping for those! Got a little excited about everything else.

Also I couldn't find another cooling block for a GTX 275. If anyone else knows of one show me the link!

For my fans I've decided I'll use the Scythe S-Flex fan.

Last edited by SquattingDawg; July 10, 2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old July 10, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

The selection you have there is pretty good, although I'm sure you've noticed that many of the components are out of stock. Additionally, FrozenCPU's service and selection is good, but their prices are often higher than other watercooling stores. If you go with slower fans (such as the S-Flex's) the Feser (or Swiftech, for that matter) rad will do well. Although if you go with higher speed fans, the GTX360 will perform better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquattingDawg
My loops start at the reservoir since I can start both of them right there with my two pumps, my only problem now is to find a nice splitter fitting for 3/8" so that I can get both loops to end up in the radiator.
Looking at this, I'm going to guess that you have a one-res-two-loop plan in mind. I'm going to strongly suggest that you avoid this route. Aside from the increasing complexity, a common reservoir will allow the the two loops to mix with each other, which pretty much ruins the only possibly benefit having multiple loops would give you. Better to either run the pumps (and all the loop components) in series, or only use one pump period - you'd be surprised at how weak the benefits of that second pump would be.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would say one loop, both pumps if you can spare the change. The benefits mostly are that you will have redundancy in case of pump failure(not likely). My opinion is, dump the second pump and get a replacement top(more of a straight gain, you can use any barbs and it improves performance).

+1 with what MpG said, try Sidewinders, fast shipping and great service/prices.

Other than that, I would dump the anti-kink coil, unless you like the look of it you won't gain much, Tygon is soft bendy tubing(Primochill LRT is also very good in this respect). Some 45's might be helpful but are not at all necessary if you set things up well.

Other options for gpu block(performance is mostly the same):
aquagraFX for GTX 275 and GTX 260 (G200b) G1/4

And that's pretty much all:), the 275 is a hard lady to shop for.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright So I'll scale down to a smaller reservoir then since I'll only be using one pump. It'll be cheaper that way anyway eh? So what exactly do you mean when you say get a replacement top? Thats not completely making sense to me.

So I'll take a look at Sidewinders and yes I got that anti-kink coil mostly because I was hoping to have it match my case fans. Mostly since I can't find 230mm fans anywhere but on CM site and they are all red LED fans anyway.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old July 11, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Replacement pump tops are very popular for the DDC/MCP pumps, because they significantly improve performance, and allow you to use any size fittings, instead of only the stock 3/8" fitting. All you do is unscrew the four screws holding the stock pump top on, and replace that with the replacement top.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh! Well that would be a worthy investment now wouldn't it? Thanks again! Not too bad a price for them either it seems

So I'm reconsidering my loop plans yet again. So much planning goes into this kind of cooling! But anyway so if I want two loops, I shoud get two separate reservoirs and obviously two pumps but then I would ALSO need to get two radiators correct?

Looking at that, it's a lot more expensive than a single loop. So I should just go for a single loop? No parallel loops? My understanding of parallel loops is that it's Res>pump>splitter>both loops do their thing>splitter>radiator>res. Is that correct? Or am I just making an idiot of myself?

And if there is really no benefit to that should I just go:
res>pump>cpu>gpu>chipset>radiator>res (of course please let me know if there is a better order to put it in)

Last edited by SquattingDawg; July 11, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old July 11, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Honestly, yes, I'd strongly suggest a single loop in your case, and the order you have listed will work nicely. The most important thing is to have the reservoir before the pump, and arrange things so that gravity will feed the pump. Doing this will make setup and bleeding the system a whole lot easier.

Parallel loops is HUGE can of worms, because you have to contend with uneven pressure curves, and almost invariably, you wind up sending most of the flow down the path that benefits the least from it. Furthermore, once you crunch the numbers, in the rare event that there's any benefit at all, it can be measured in tenths of degree or less.
Old July 11, 2009, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok... Soooo I was looking at my hardware and I've just always been an Nvidia guy. So I thought I might give ATi a look. I was looking at their cards and their HD 4890 performs just as well as the GTX 280 and most of their GTX XX5 cards AND it's cheaper than all of them. So I think I may go with ATi instead. So then I started looking at mobo's as well an I ran into this sweet looking baby:

Foxconn Bloodrage LGA1366 mobo

Newegg.com - Foxconn BloodRage LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And I love the way it looks and it's also cheaper than the eVGA mobo I was looking at so I might go with that as well. My only problem with that is I can't find any cooling blocks made for it. Should I just find a generic X58 block and find heatsinks for the SB? I dunno! Help me!! ( I know I'm probably pretty annoying by now... )

Tags
water cooling