Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2009, 04:17 AM
Rookie

Default First time water cooling, need advice.

Hey, first time poster, long time reader here.

Anyway, I've finally decided to put together a water cooling system, my specs aren't the greatest but hey, I have to start somewhere:

Core 2 Quad Q9550
GTX 260 Core 216
ASUS P5Q PRO

Currently running in an Antec 900.

Now, on with the show.

I'm looking to put together a nice simple loop with a CPU and GPU Full cover block, I've done some research and come up with this list so far:

Pump: Swiftech Laing D5 Vario MCP655 12V DC Pump
Radiator: Swiftech MCR320-QP Triple 120mm Radiator
Reservoir: EK Multioption Reservoir 250
Tubing: XSPC 7/16 UV Clear Blue - 1m (x2)
CPU Block: EK Supreme CPU Waterblock for Intel 775 & 1366 : Plexi
Graphics Card Block: XSPC Full Cover Razor GTX 260 - Acetal
Fittings: EK 1/2" Hose fitting (x6)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
Fans: Yate Loon D12SH-12 120mm 2200RPM Fan (x3)

Now, a couple of questions:

1) Not sure whether to choose between using a reservoir or using a T-Line with a hose running to the top of the case for easy bleeding, can anyone explain the pros and cons of running with a T-Line as opposed to a reservoir?

2) Barbs/Clamps/Fittings. I've read several things about barbs, clamps and fittings, from my list, everything supports 1/2" ID Barb fittings or G1/4" Threads, hence the EK 1/2" Hose fittings on the list, is this right? Now, clamps, must I fit these on every connection I make, if so, any tips on how to do it correctly?

3) ASUS P5Q PRO. The northbridge and mosfets are using one large heatsink (http://tinyurl.com/ktw24a), can anyone else who has one of these boards suggest what to do with regards to NB/Mofet blocks?

That's all for now, help much appreciated.

Last edited by Blam; July 9, 2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old July 9, 2009, 05:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would recommend Primochill LRT tubing, or Feser tubing instead of the XSPC stuff.

Pros for running T-line
- Easy to set up

Cons
- Doesn't bleed micro bubbles as well as res.

Regarding the hose clamps, if you decide to use 7/16 ID tubing, most of the time you won't need clamps. 7/16 ID on 1/2 OD fittings are extremely tight, and installation usually requires either warming up the tubing to soften, or wetting it.

However if you're paranoid, yes hose clamps are required on every connection. If you're cheap, you can buy some zipties.

Regarding the Mobo, don't WC it. Too much hassle for little rewards if you're just starting out. If you must, you have to remove the entire heatsink. Buy a Northbridge block, as well as a mosfet block to watercool both.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old July 9, 2009, 05:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

What i think you need to change in your loop

tubing for primochill(clear or colored)
cpu block for the Supreme LT
gpu block for the ek (for what i remember the xspc is not compatible with the core 216, maybe you look at a newer version...)
Old July 9, 2009, 05:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
I would recommend Primochill LRT tubing, or Feser tubing instead of the XSPC stuff.

Pros for running T-line
- Easy to set up

Cons
- Doesn't bleed micro bubbles as well as res.

Regarding the hose clamps, if you decide to use 7/16 ID tubing, most of the time you won't need clamps. 7/16 ID on 1/2 OD fittings are extremely tight, and installation usually requires either warming up the tubing to soften, or wetting it.

However if you're paranoid, yes hose clamps are required on every connection. If you're cheap, you can buy some zipties.

Regarding the Mobo, don't WC it. Too much hassle for little rewards if you're just starting out. If you must, you have to remove the entire heatsink. Buy a Northbridge block, as well as a mosfet block to watercool both.
Thanks, I think I'll stick with the 1/2" ID tubing and use some quality metal clamps. Yeah, figured it's not worth cooling the motherboard, thanks for confirming.

I think I'll go with a T-Line for now, I'll add a reservoir if I feel like it later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3_66666 View Post
What i think you need to change in your loop

tubing for primochill(clear or colored)
cpu block for the Supreme LT
gpu block for the ek (for what i remember the xspc is not compatible with the core 216, maybe you look at a newer version...)
Is the Supreme LT considerably better? Figured that since it was cheaper it couldn't have been any better, guess I was wrong.

And thanks on the GPU block front, I'll look into it some more.

Last edited by Blam; July 9, 2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old July 9, 2009, 06:07 AM
MVP
F@H

There should be a sticky in here explaining the changes to the NVIDIA reference design for 260 and 285 cards...

NVIDIA changed the layout on their 260/285 designs. These changes have allowed for easier/cheaper production, however, the layout of these new cards does not allow you to use any existing full cover waterblocks. I am not aware of any manufacturer that has a full cover block for either of the new reference designs...

Look here for more information: GTX260 / GTX285 - New PCB Layouts - RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling

G'luck.

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...

Old July 9, 2009, 06:09 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Kang View Post
There should be a sticky in here explaining the changes to the NVIDIA reference design for 260 and 285 cards...

NVIDIA changed the layout on their 260/285 designs. These changes have allowed for easier/cheaper production, however, the layout of these new cards does not allow you to use any existing full cover waterblocks. I am not aware of any manufacturer that has a full cover block for either of the new reference designs...

Look here for more information: GTX260 / GTX285 - New PCB Layouts - RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling

G'luck.
Hmm, thanks, I'll have a closer look when I get home, however I did get my GTX 260 in December, so I'm feeling pretty positive about it.

Update: I have the EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR. Success! Guess I'll go for an EK GTX 260 55nm block then.

Last edited by Blam; July 9, 2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old July 9, 2009, 09:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not directly useful for you Blam, but both EK and Bitspower have announced new blocks are coming for the new PCB revisions of the GTX260 and GTX285.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

A couple of things, if I use a T-Line, do I route the hose to the top of the case and fill it directly?

Also, what PSU would you guys suggest, at the moment I'm running on an age old Hiper, only 520W I think, solid 12v though, so I think it should hold up nicely with the WC, but the cable management is horrid, so I'm after a decent modular PSU.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd recommend any Silverstone or Corsair modular PSU, depending on what's available near you. As for the t-line, that's how they are supposed to work, but I've always used a res.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect

Just a side note: Module PSU's are not as efficient as straight cabled. If you are big into overclocking, stay away from modular PSU's. the extra connection adds resistance to the line.