Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default External box to house radiators

My case is really cramped with watercooling gear, and my 220 radiator is basically leaning against my hard drive bays and my 4870x2. I spent a bit of time in Google SketchUp trying to get a general idea of what it would look like. Any input/suggestions would be nice. I know there's no fan mount holes, but those would drive me insane trying to sketch up.

The whole box.

The front, where the fans/radiator would mount.

The back, basic exhaust.

The side where tubing would enter/exit, just a rough guess of where they should be.

And the inside. I want to keep the tubing that would link the two radiators internal, hence the hole there.

This would be a project that would take all summer as I lack basically all tools that I would need for this project. I was wondering if anybody could also suggest some building material specifics that would work best for this (type/size of wood, etc)
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old July 7, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make it out of the same material that sub boxes are made from, MDF. You can get it at Home depot....
Old July 7, 2009, 09:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

was thinking hack hacking up an antec 300 myself do do this lol.

Old July 7, 2009, 09:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks bigger than it needs to be IMO. And for linking the radiators together, you could also use various BP 90s/45s/rotaries to get a tighter connection between them rather than using tubing and thus saving space. Though it would be more costly I guess.

And yeah, MDF would work fine or if you want it to look "fancy", you could use real wood and then stain it.

As for tools, jigsaw, hammer, drill, wood glue, screws/nails, and if you want to make things easy, get a 12cm (or close to it) hole saw.

Alternatively, you could mount something like this: RadGrillz™ Stripes 3x120 Aluminum Black with Carbon Fiber Trim Products Model: ACR-RG35296-CF [ACR-RG35296-CF] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come to the outside and then you could just cut rectangular holes rather than circles.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo4g View Post
was thinking hack hacking up an antec 300 myself do do this lol.
Hmmm, that may be another idea. I'll see what cost would be for something like that compared to what I've been thinking of.

And mm, MDF you say. I never really thought of that. I guess they'd come in big boards? (Rona and Home Depot sites suck...)
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old July 7, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Hmmm, that may be another idea. I'll see what cost would be for something like that compared to what I've been thinking of.

And mm, MDF you say. I never really thought of that. I guess they'd come in big boards? (Rona and Home Depot sites suck...)
Prob 4x8 sheets.
Old July 7, 2009, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've thought about doing this, it'd be nice to put in another room where no one is too and have extremely high cfm fans on. (Other room = right beside furnace). Have you considered one of those 9x120mm rads? I'm not sure if they'd be the solution, but you could mount something like that to the back of a desk.
Old July 8, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Size for size, the 9x120 rads are pretty lackluster compared to what you can do with three triple rads. Of course, with 9 rad units, that may not even matter...

Aside from MDF, glued pineboard is another option. Very easy to stain and work with, and can be had in a wide variety of sizes.