Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2009, 12:15 PM
Top Prospect

Default Newbie, about to add water.

Hi guys, very new to this forum. My background is im just getting back into the whole PC modding game. Used to mess with 200mmx's etc back in the day.... So its all new to me again. Im a big keener on car racing sims and FPS like Crysis, and this is what i use the computer 90% of the time for.

I am jumping into Water Cooling. Im WCing the PC i bought about 2.5 years ago from Memory Express here in Calgary. Specs, as i can remember -

Sonata III case - 500W PS
EVGA 680i LT SLI
Mushkin EM2-6400 6GB (2x1 and just added 2x2 ready for when i upgrade the OS)
Core Duo 2 E6750 CPU
EVGA 8800 GTS 512Mb

And thats about it. Since then ive got a 750W PS in the mail, possibly a second 8800GTS 512 so i can go SLI, and like i mentioned i just put in the 2x2gb ram. I also ordered this -
Liquid Cooling Special (CL-W0075 + CL-W0038 + CL-W0009) (Brand New)
Hoping it would be a good start in the WCing world. Since then ive decided to look into a full cover WB for my cards, Ill sell off the VGA cooler, and I also bought a second hand 120 rad off ebay to add to the cooling. After also looking at a tonne of setups, im thinking id rather have the res higher in the case and the pump bolted to the base. Has anyone used one of these TT pump/res setups? Im wondering if its possible to use a different res and change the input to the pump and run a line from another res? Also my system is going to be 3/8th tubing, with my equipment, is there a need to go to 1/2"?

Im interested in opinions (altho ive read a tonne!) on the EK full cover WB and the Danger Den Ione block. I love the look of the Ione, if anyone has 1-2 for sale please let me know!

Also with my MOBO, should i be concerned with a WB for the north bridge? Ive read that its only necessary if you plan to OC the MOBO. well im not 100% on what im OCing exactly as i need to do alot more reading to see if my MOBO can be OC efficiently with the rest of my setup. Im keen to OC my cards, thats for sure. Ive been running precision, and my card doesnt mind a little OCing as long as the fan is stuck at 100%, but it sounds like someone left the hair dryer on....

So as you can see, im a typical "wanting performance, but want to spend as little as possible", which is why i went with the SLI 512's, and the cheap TT setup for now. If you guys have ANY advice on what im missing or should do differently im all ears. Many thanks for an amazing website which has helped me huge already! Thanks :D
Old July 6, 2009, 03:12 PM
Top Prospect

So the process has taken a slight side change.... going to pick up a Antec 900 case tonight. Ive been pouring over pics of the Sonata case, even printed out a few, trying to fit it all in, and would much rather do it right the first time. Need more room!
Old July 6, 2009, 03:35 PM
Top Prospect

If you need room, the HAF 932 is always a safe bet, TONS of room in there for a simple loop.
Old July 6, 2009, 04:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I second that recommendation. The Antec 900 is a nice case, but I find it to be hard enough to work in just using air cooling! There's really no practical way to fit a water cooling loop in that case unless you're willing to sacrifice your 3.5" drive bays and front-mount your rad. Even then, that's going to be painful.

I think you're going to want to make the move up to a full tower chassis like the HAF 932, the Cosmos, or even the Antec 1200. They're a larger and more expensive, but it'll save you the trouble of trying to fit everything in that tiny case.
Old July 6, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182 View Post
So the process has taken a slight side change.... going to pick up a Antec 900 case tonight. Ive been pouring over pics of the Sonata case, even printed out a few, trying to fit it all in, and would much rather do it right the first time. Need more room!
I would recommend HAF932 or Cosmos S. Both cases are watercooling friendly and relatively inexpensive. You can work with 900 as well, but your choices will be more limited.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old July 8, 2009, 11:26 AM
Top Prospect

Well looks like i didnt click on "email notification" when i registered here at HC! I already bought the A 900, and have already gutted it. I have one HDD and one DVD drive, so im looking at using a 2x120 rad in the drive bays. I also thought about stacking a second 1x120 rad. Basically, the 900 can hold the face fans without the drive bays attached. So the 2x120 rad has two case fans pushing on it. Ill add two 120 fans to the back of the rad to pull, and then bolt a 1x120 rad to the lower pull fan, and have yet another fan pulling on the smaller rad. Ive sketched it out, and beleive it will fit and be easy to hookup, plus the nozzles are all at the top of the rads so getting the air out should be easier. I wont know for sure until the rads get here, but looking in detail at the specs on both rads, and measuring a 120 fan, i think itll fit! I realise that this means all the heat from the rads is now inside the case, but the only components ive left with air cooling is the DDR2 memory and NB and SB. and ill still have the ps, 1x120 and the big 200 case fans pulling air out.
I could also add another 120 fan to the side case panel which will blow right over the MB. So ill be at 6x120 fans possibly 7, the 200 fan, and the PS fan..... im hoping i can run the lot at slow speeds and not be too noisy....

Boy have i learnt alot in just a few weeks!

Also the WB's for the cards are so damn hard to find...
Old July 8, 2009, 11:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Here's a loop that I did in my 900 last year. It's possible, just finicky to internal mount everything. SugarJ's 900 Internal WC Project Good luck, and post pics!
Old July 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Two dual rads is is already good deal of cooling power even with cheap thin radiators. You can sandwich them with fans.

Another option is couple good single rads at the back and bottom.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old July 8, 2009, 11:45 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Here's a loop that I did in my 900 last year. It's possible, just finicky to internal mount everything. SugarJ's 900 Internal WC Project Good luck, and post pics!
Thats awesome, ive been looking over a tonne of A 900 case designs. Really like yours. I managed to mount the stock case fans on the fan shroud, and leave the grills on, and they inturn mounted to the case themselves. Didnt require the HDD cages to mount the fans. So i have the stock fans/grills and shrouds mounted in the two lower positions, just waiting for the 2x120 rad to go in behind it.

Ill definately post pics :D You should see my desk here at work. Ive printed out some pics of a gutted 900 and ive done about 10 sketches of arrangements lol.
Old July 8, 2009, 02:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I went at it the opposite way, mounted the fans to the rad and then put the front grills back on. As long as you've got good airflow over your rad, that's what matters.