Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2007, 08:20 AM
Rookie

Default Watercooling an antec 900

after a bit of research I decided I wanted to water cool my antec 900
I wanted to mount a 2x120mm rad like the one seen here http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=NCIX
I was thinking of a) leaving the front fans the way they are to exhaust heat from my rad into my case, B) fliping the fans to push air from my case through my rad or C) getting rid off those 2 fans and moving them to the 2 optional fan ports and puting the fans that come with this kit on the other side of the rad so that the'd draw air from in my case over the rad.

question 1:of A B C or another option would you reccomend
question 2: how could I mount my rad in the front (ie bolt it/use silicon glue)
:help:
thanks
moditir
Old July 14, 2007, 09:47 AM
Top Prospect

the rad should be getting cool outside air for the best results. if you do mount it in the front just make sure its pulling air in and use the exhaust vent at the rear of the case to push air out.

I am not too famillair with the fans in the antec 900 (the case i want actually).. you could probably screw the rad to the fans in the front fairly easily. if the fans touch each other the bolt pattern should line up perfect.
Buffalo Firestix FSX800D2C-K2G 2X1GB PC2-6400 CL5
OCZ XTC Active Memory Cooler
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA2
MCE Wireless Keyboard / Remote
Logitech X-530 Speakers
Swiftech H20-220 Water kit
Swiftech MCW30 NB Cooling
OCZ PowerStream 600W
Old July 14, 2007, 09:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not completely sure which site it was, but I'm thinking it's DD which has a video showing a fairly slick front install using velcro.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old July 14, 2007, 10:02 AM
JayDee

With the link to the H20 kit (directly below the main kit parts) are "recomended products" and in there is a "radbox". The radbox will permit you to easily mount the rad outside the case so you get nice cool air AND vent the hot air outside the case. For $20 I'd say it's well worth checking it out for what you want to do.
Old July 14, 2007, 10:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

being a fellow 900 owner, watercooling inside this case is not an easy task. definitely do-able, anything is do-able if you want it bad enough, but certainly not the easiest.

first problem is the fact that the front fans mount to drive cages and those drive cages have to come out in order to mount a rad so no easy mount that way.

second issue is with a 2x120mm rad in front, you will be limited to three 5.25" drive bays for hard drives and optical drives, not to mention mounting a resevoir and a pump somewhere can be fun because the power supply being on the bottom tends to take up a lot of space down there.

i would definitely mount the rad right behind the front grills and have the fans mounted to the rad sucking air into the case from the front through the rad...promotes airflow through the case and with the rear 120mm/top 200mm, there is more than enough exhaust action to remove all that heat.

as far as mounting the rad goes...it wouldn't be too difficult but getting everything else mounted and semi-neat is where the real challenge is. it would be a fun project though and if you like challenges and are creative...you should be able to come up with something quite impressive. HTH
Old July 14, 2007, 10:50 AM
Rookie

could you post some pics of your watercooled 900 please
Old July 14, 2007, 11:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moditir View Post
could you post some pics of your watercooled 900 please
i don't have water cooling setup in the 900, i just own a 900. if you want some ideas and great posts on modding the 900...have a look at this thread at XS if you haven't already:

A Positive Look at the Antec Nine Hundred (900) Case - XtremeSystems Forums

tons of great info with pictures for ideas. i know on page 5 there is a couple photos of someone with a 2x120mm rad in front. HTH
Old July 14, 2007, 03:08 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm not completely sure which site it was, but I'm thinking it's DD which has a video showing a fairly slick front install using velcro.
I use doublesided tape myself :)

Both my rads are held on with it, even the one at the top of the case.
Old July 15, 2007, 07:37 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by moditir View Post
after a bit of research I decided I wanted to water cool my antec 900
I wanted to mount a 2x120mm rad like the one seen here http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=NCIX
I was thinking of a) leaving the front fans the way they are to exhaust heat from my rad into my case, B) fliping the fans to push air from my case through my rad or C) getting rid off those 2 fans and moving them to the 2 optional fan ports and puting the fans that come with this kit on the other side of the rad so that the'd draw air from in my case over the rad.

question 1:of A B C or another option would you reccomend
question 2: how could I mount my rad in the front (ie bolt it/use silicon glue)
:help:
thanks
moditir
have you considered one of these ?Freezone CPU Cooler - CoolIT Systems
i grabbed one at DC
Coolit Freezone CPU Cooler 56W MTEC Based MAINTENANCE-FREE Liquid Cooling System AM2/S939/LGA775 - DirectCanada

it's a little snug in the Antec, (i've already test fitted it in my 900), and the only concern i have is that it sits right beneath that big 200mm fan on top, but i'm thinking there should still be adequate ventilation going on.
Old July 15, 2007, 07:42 AM
Rookie

well I'm looking for either a DIY kit or I'll just pick out my own parts and that puts me over my budget for cooling of ~$200 but thank you