LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Whats a good Water Cooling set up for

Hi there, right now I am using;
- a AMD Phenom 9950 w/ CM V8,
- two ASUS HD4850's.
- the case is an Antec 1200.

The problem is, its a little to loud right now. I am wanting to go water cooling to keep it quite, ie. turn all the fans to low (the case looks good, thats why I use it).

I am wanting a water cooling set that cools two GPUs and my CPU. Please help.

EDIT: I used the word 'load' for 'loud'.....

Last edited by AmuseMe; June 13, 2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old June 12, 2009, 02:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

What's your budget? Also do you want you setup to be internal or external? Will this be your first water system?
 Q9650 @ 4.05 Ghz (9x450) / 4 GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix @ 1800 Mhz / 3870X2 / Ultra X3 1000/Maximus Extreme X38 / Thermaltake Xaser VI custom watercooled with black powdercoat. Click above for pic!
San Ace Awesomeness!
San Ace Awesomeness Part II!
Old June 12, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

The CM V8 is a pretty lousy heatsink for quiet operation, and I'm pretty sure there are GPU air coolers that can keep the card occupying only two slots. All for quite a bit less than a good water setup would run.

Far be it for me to discourage someone from going to water, but sometimes air is still an option. Unless of course, you definitely want to make the jump?
Old June 12, 2009, 03:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

MpG is absolutely right. Air is so much easier and cheaper. But if you got extra cash to burn and would like to give water a try and have a willingness to learn new things then by all means post your answers to my previous post and we shall get under way.
 Q9650 @ 4.05 Ghz (9x450) / 4 GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix @ 1800 Mhz / 3870X2 / Ultra X3 1000/Maximus Extreme X38 / Thermaltake Xaser VI custom watercooled with black powdercoat. Click above for pic!
San Ace Awesomeness!
Old June 12, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

4850's should't be that noisy unless you are folding 24x7.... Also, I don't know about 1200, but if it has the same crappy 3-speed fans as 900 does, get rid of them. They are just noisy garbage, put Scythe Flex fans in and you will be amazed! That was my best upgrade for 900 a while ago.

Having said that you can get quiet setup with maximizing radiator(s) footpring, while minimzind fan speed.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 12, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
What's your budget? Also do you want you setup to be internal or external? Will this be your first water system?
I just think the water cooling looks cooler lol. Im not 100% for it, Im just trying to look at some numbers etc. External or internal, it doesnt matter, and yes, it my first one.

What type of set up is that on "Black Phoenix"?

Wont be checking this thread for a good 4 hours, so take your time.
Old June 12, 2009, 03:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
I just think the water cooling looks cooler lol. Im not 100% for it, Im just trying to look at some numbers etc. External or internal, it doesnt matter, and yes, it my first one.

Black Phoenix is an internal single loop, dual rad and dual pump system that practically cools everything. It has dual drains and dual water temps before and after the rads. It cools the CPU, MOSFET's, NB, SB and GPU. Because of the dual pumps in series there is an exceptional amount of flow not to mention that the tops on those pumps are custom made from a member on Xtremesystems named 'DetroitAC'. The rads are Black Ice 240 GTX's (chosen for the high fin count and extreme performance with good fans) with San Ace fans on a full 12v in push/pull on both. My delta is within 3c of ambient and on idle everything is within 3c of the water temp. The cost of such a set up would run you rougly $1500 more or less depending on where you get your parts. But that is just for water cooling parts. This case is moddified and powder coated to fit this system that was planned for well over a year and is still not done.
San Ace Awesomeness!
Old June 12, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

You are looking for 300-400 $ for full set up.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 12, 2009, 07:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post

Black Phoenix is a great example of what happens when someone runs away with watercooling. The result is excellent in terms of looks and performance but your bank balance will suffer for it

For a basic setup(my recommendation for someone just getting their feet wet) remember to keep it simple stupid. You can do it for the $300-400 range as Dazmode said but the biggest investment will be TIME. Doing it is easy, do it right is not.

First off, figure out a few things:

1) Internal or external
2) Silence/Performance/Combination
3) Are aesthetics mission critical?
4) What amount of funds are you willing to level at the project.
Old June 12, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Im really just looking for something that can outperform my CM V8, and the stock fans on the 4850's. For external, is the whole thing external, or just the radiator?

EDIT: Think of getting an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE while I am at it, so the Water Cooling system would probably need to meet that requirement.

Last edited by AmuseMe; June 12, 2009 at 07:51 PM.