Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2009, 11:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
Black Phoenix is a great example of what happens when someone runs away with watercooling. The result is excellent in terms of looks and performance but your bank balance will suffer for it
Yup my wallet cries every time it see's Black Phoenix....So does my wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Im really just looking for something that can outperform my CM V8, and the stock fans on the 4850's. For external, is the whole thing external, or just the radiator?
Yeah that means the rad is on the outside. Many great benefits to that arrangement such as always having the cool ambient air instead of the hot air of the case. Might want fan filters though.....Or after awhile you will turn the rad into a furry brick!

So basically what you will want is a rad, pump, res, blocks, tubing and barbs. The best economical rad is the Swiftech MCR series. The most expensive being the MONSTA. If you want quiet then stay away from the Black Ice series all together. For silence and performance I would get the Thermochill and you just happen to be in luck because Thermochill has been bought out and they are redoing the rad to make it better. One that is coming out soon is the new ThermoChill PA120.4. You will be able to have great performance and at the same time have really low RPM's on your fans. Now another thing that is cheaper is if you make it one loop instead of two. Two is better performance wise but you also need to double up on everything. Single is cheaper and to tell you the truth there is not much difference and depends on hardware being cooled. In your case your good with one loop. A new Koolance DDC 3.25 would be enough to pump through all of the blocks on it's own. You can buy it right off of their site. It's slightly more powerful then the common 3.1 and 3.2. Plus you can get a res that fits right on top to save space. Then you just have to pick out the blocks you want according to reviews your read. Now for a single loop with multiple blocks your going to look for a CPU block that is higher on the flow side. Restrictive but better performing CPU blocks are meant for their own loop only. So something like the Swiftech GTZ, HK 3.0 would be good for a multi block loop. The Koolance 350 would not be. It's like myself in my single multi-block loop I am using the first generation Fuzion because of it's great performance but more yet because of it's high flow. It's all about planning and learning at the same time. Barbs and tubing are another item. Do you want color? Do you want compression or straight fittings. Compression is expensive and straight barbs are not. Dye in the water or premixed stuff I stay away from like the plague. I have had enough choked up stuff in time but in your case because of the lower heat output you may get away with it. When doing extreme OC'ing the dye seems to clump and cook in CPU blocks. But on cooler chips your golden so that is something to think about. I can keep going on and on here so your going to have to take the lead here in the direction you wish to go.
 Q9650 @ 4.05 Ghz (9x450) / 4 GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix @ 1800 Mhz / 3870X2 / Ultra X3 1000/Maximus Extreme X38 / Thermaltake Xaser VI custom watercooled with black powdercoat. Click above for pic!
San Ace Awesomeness!
San Ace Awesomeness Part II!
Old June 13, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
Yup my wallet cries every time it see's Black Phoenix....So does my wife!

Yeah that means the rad is on the outside. Many great benefits to that arrangement such as always having the cool ambient air instead of the hot air of the case. Might want fan filters though.....Or after awhile you will turn the rad into a furry brick!

So basically what you will want is a rad, pump, res, blocks, tubing and barbs. The best economical rad is the Swiftech MCR series. The most expensive being the MONSTA. If you want quiet then stay away from the Black Ice series all together. For silence and performance I would get the Thermochill and you just happen to be in luck because Thermochill has been bought out and they are redoing the rad to make it better. One that is coming out soon is the new ThermoChill PA120.4. You will be able to have great performance and at the same time have really low RPM's on your fans. Now another thing that is cheaper is if you make it one loop instead of two. Two is better performance wise but you also need to double up on everything. Single is cheaper and to tell you the truth there is not much difference and depends on hardware being cooled. In your case your good with one loop. A new Koolance DDC 3.25 would be enough to pump through all of the blocks on it's own. You can buy it right off of their site. It's slightly more powerful then the common 3.1 and 3.2. Plus you can get a res that fits right on top to save space. Then you just have to pick out the blocks you want according to reviews your read. Now for a single loop with multiple blocks your going to look for a CPU block that is higher on the flow side. Restrictive but better performing CPU blocks are meant for their own loop only. So something like the Swiftech GTZ, HK 3.0 would be good for a multi block loop. The Koolance 350 would not be. It's like myself in my single multi-block loop I am using the first generation Fuzion because of it's great performance but more yet because of it's high flow. It's all about planning and learning at the same time. Barbs and tubing are another item. Do you want color? Do you want compression or straight fittings. Compression is expensive and straight barbs are not. Dye in the water or premixed stuff I stay away from like the plague. I have had enough choked up stuff in time but in your case because of the lower heat output you may get away with it. When doing extreme OC'ing the dye seems to clump and cook in CPU blocks. But on cooler chips your golden so that is something to think about. I can keep going on and on here so your going to have to take the lead here in the direction you wish to go.
So what am I all adding to my shopping list? lol
So I pretty much just need a CPU block, and Two GPU blocks along with a rad, pump, res, blocks, tubing and barbs

I know what the pump, blocks, and tubing are, but what is a rad, res, and barbs?
Old June 13, 2009, 10:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Radiator, like in a car it dumps the heat into the air with some airflow. The reservoir holds your extra fluid and affords easier bleeding. Barbs are the little nipples the tubes slide over to connect to the parts of the loop.

For your list, you have to find some parts that you like. There isn't a great deal of difference between the big contenders for the top performing waterblocks at the moment, so a Swiftech GTZ or a Heatkiller v3 will work for you. Same deal for the gpu blocks, decide on what look you want, check Sidewinder Computers - Supplier of High Quality PC Modding and Cooling parts and Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come for some 4850 blocks, performance will be similar, choose based on looks/price.

For the rad, that's up in the air, a triple would be my suggestion, again take a look at what's available and decide if you want to pay more or less(Feser = more, XSPC = less). The Feser quality seems to be better from all accounts, if you can find a PA120.3, it is great stuff.
Old June 13, 2009, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

I think you benefit greatly from reading watercoling tutorials (that are sticky topics on top of this forum) or you can check this for some visualizations:
DazMode • View topic - Watercooling build HAF932 i7 Step-by-step in pictures
HTPC Build: Final Video